• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF AR-10 308 cal. 16" barrel

cintar

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
Bradenton Fl
Anybody have any feedback regarding accuracy, heat distribution, dependability, price, tatical or anything on this rifle?
(All black) guessing last years model

Re: POF AR-10 308 cal. 16" barrel

I had a POF .308 20" that took me 11 months to get. Didin't get to shoot it before selling. I didn't want to sell it really but I didn't get what I ordered so I just wasn't happy. (ordered a 16" black but got a 20" NP3) All they had even after 11 month wait. I had heard great things as far as accuracy. They use the Mike Rock 5R barrels which are known for their uniformity and accuracy. Price is steep if your ordereing off the market. Around 3,000 to 5,000 dollars. Order from the factory and it's 2,500 but be prepared to wait along time. POF makes good stuff but they take along time and from my experiences keep pushing delivery times back. Take into consideration I ordered my at the start of the "ASB" fiasco.

I have a POF 308 with a 20" barrel and a shooting buddy of mine has both the 16" and the 20" Our 20" rifles will keep up with most of the bolt action 308 rifles I own (excl. my GAP 308) with match/handloaded ammo. Dependability is second to none after some initial break-in (has fired/cycled 100% since getting about 50 rounds through the rifle). My buddy's 16" rifle is excellent on targets out to about 500 yards, but it loses considerable velocity and thus, long-range ability pretty quickly compared to the 20". It is still a sub-MOA capable rifle with appropriate ammo and a shooter that knows what he/she is doing.

I highly recommend the POF 308 rifles to anyone looking who has the means. The problem you will have is: 1) finding one in stock with a dealer; 2) the price you'll likely pay for a NIB one from a dealer (expect min. $2,800 up to around $3k). As for k9222's comment on the $5k price tag...I have never seen a stock, factory rifle go for more than $3,500 and that was at the peak of the firearms craze after the first of this year. I'd check out GunBroker and if you have one near you, Cabelas is now stocking these rifles as well. I wouldn't recommend buying one from Cabelas unless the price is right (they tend to seriously inflate the $$ of their in-stock firearms), but at least you can lay your hands on one and get a feel for the rifle before you buy.

I just went to a gun show on Saturday 08-08-09 and talked to a shop employee who said a guy he works with bought one and only fired 1 out of every 4 rounds cycled, also a brand new one that had no bolt stop/catch, and another one that the bolt would not go to full lock/closed when cycled, and one that just would not run. So I would go to guess that it could be like everything else hit or miss. This last couple of months has made a much harder push for firearms and demands so a couple of test are just rushed. See if you could take it for a test drive, if it works then you know before you buy.

I have seen several go on Gunbroker for 4 and 5,000 dollars, Hell, I sold mine for 3,500 on a 3day sale on GB. The only reason I sold mine for that is because I waited so long to get it and it wasn't even the one I wanted. I was gonna at least make enough money on it to try to buy a GA or something off of a forsale forum.