• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF Barrel Accuracy?

Guyotrd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I would welcome any comments on the barrels used by POF and where I can get a cut-rifled or other precision barrel for my POF's. I have contacted Rock Creek and also Proof and they do not have anything to offer. POF also just sells their current production - although they are always very helpful.

I have a P308 Gen IV with both a 20 in non fluted which I bought 2 years after I got the gun with the 16.5 fluted. I also have a 6.5 edge with both 16.5 and 20 in from POF and they are both non-fluted, I do not know who makes them. Finally I have a 6.8 SPC edge. I get the add on 20in for the velocity for long range hunting. I get 2578 FPS on the 308 20in with factory ELD-X 178's which is almost equal to Hornady's 24in factory published data (2600). I have not shot the 6.5 CM 20in yet.

For the same reason I like to know about the movement in my watches as well as how they perform I am interested in this subject. It is a hobby for me as I am not LE or Military. There seems to be a consensus on this forum that the Fluted were Rock Creek and the non-fluted and current production are Green Mountain - which people think are inferior. I also believe they are all also Button rifled, but they may be hammer forged. I am not sure if any of them are chrome lined. H&K says bad and many others say good - from HK website " But unlike the HK416, the MR556A1 does not use a chrome-lined barrel. Chrome-lining can sometimes mask bore imperfections and negatively affect accuracy"

All very confusing

I hunt ELK and shoot a fair amount and am going to start shooting Long Range, but no competition, and shoot mostly bolt guns, where I have bighorn actions and have all kinds of options - Mark Chanlynn here in Colorado offers superb barrels that are finished by my excellent gunsmith, and the Proof Savage drop-in's also shoot .5MOA.

I have not learned to shoot my piston guns as well as my bolts but I seem to get the same performance out off all the barrels from both makers. Close to 1 MOA when I am having a good day with and odd flier.

After too much surfing I was almost going to trade both the 6.5 CM and the 308 for a LWRC REPR Mark II Elite with 22in Carbon in 6.5 CM, but a trip to the range with the POF and the exorbitant cost convinced me otherwise.

Here is today's shots after sighting in my new scope with the 6.5 CM Edge 16.5 barrel with a Thunderbeast Can. This 10 shot group was with a hot rifle on shots 20 - 30 in about 30 minutes. It was good shooting for me at my skill level. (100yds) indoors off bench. Hornady Bulk American Gunner 140 HPBT not the Match Grade

6.5 Edge Group.JPG

What’s the question. Sounds like you are right in regards to what barrels came and come in the POFs

I have a couple 556s and 308 that used the Rock barrels and Geisselle triggers.

Pof used to be good. Don’t know why good companies cheap out on stuff

Thank You for responding - where I can get a cut-rifled or other precision barrel for my POF's ? was really the only question and I was interested in other's comments on the barrels and accuracy

Check out this thread. I have it in my open tabs b c I am contemplating the same thing for a 556 with a ton of rounds through it

I just replaced my pof barrel with a jp barrel and converted the gas system to DI. Shoots great now.
I have 2 AR10's one in 308 (based on POF upper/lower) 2nd in 6.5 that is handbuilt - they shoot almost identically.
both run JP barrels / bolts and jp adjustable gas blocks

On the POF I did replace the barrel nut with just a standard barrel nut.