• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF Delay?

Inogame

Counter of Beans
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NW Indiana
I don't want anyone to take this as a rant on POF or anything. I fully understand that delays happen and especially with higher end shops and equipment demand can overwhelm a place with order backlog.

Is there a Hide member with POF available or possibly familiar with POF?

I ordered a 5.56 upper from them through a Local dealer at the end of November. I was originally told 4-6 weeks. Well, it's been 3+ months.
Here's my thing, I would have ordered direct from them since it's an upper and I don't need a middle man, but their website encourages using their preferred dealers so I used it to find a guy and went through him.
It did save me a bit of money vs. the website prices so I figured a win. The thing is, I'd never have used this guy at all if not for the website, because he's about 1.5+ hours away from my house.

I guess I'd like to know if the delay is due to a backlog at the factory, or a screw up at the local level.

I have contacted the local dealer, and I'm just getting a weird feeling about it. The BS excuse meter is going up, and I'm always a bit leery using a guy that works his FFL out of his home that I wasn't introduced to by someone I trust.

Blast me if need be, I'm trying not to be unrealistic about it. I guess I'd feel better if I was going direct because I'd have direct contact.

Yes, I'm getting antsy... I'm excited about getting a piston upper.. maybe that's my only problem...

Thanks for your opinions.

Re: POF Delay?

they're delivery times suck, I gave up on them a LONG time ago when I was shopping for a .308 and was told 6 months. I do have a 9 inch upper but it was in stock. good stuff but the BS getting it isnt for me

Thanks Lowlight,

I saw that GB shortly after I gave the local dealer money down on ordering the Upper from POF. I then preceded to kick myself in the ass repeatedly...

I guess my problem is I am concerned that this guy just took my money and is making up excuses on me.
If there are longer leadtimes from the Factory I'm cool with that, because at least I know my money is "safe".
It just comes down to the fact I have anxiety using a guy I don't know, don't know anyone who knows, ect. Times are tough these days and folks are doing things that a couple years ago they wouldn't due to cash and such... my paranoia is at a peak I suppose.

Maybe I should have better phrased my non-rant, rant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a dealer doing a group buy on here with everything in stock right now... from 5.56 to 308...

Look in the group buy section if you want one. </div></div>

^^^ +1 on this. ^^^

Can you get your money back from the dealer?

Out of curiosity, which specific POF upper are you looking to buy? I deal with several POF stocking dealers all the time and they usually have at least some in-stock complete uppers at any given time.

ORD,

I ordered a URA415-16-11T-223
The 5.56 16" upper, in black.

If I could get a real estimate on timeline and just feel more comfortable that it was a factory backlog as opposed to something else I'd wait and not fret another min.
But if I'm getting the brush off or otherwise poor local service I would ask for a refund and go elsewhere, probably to Frankie Ice and his GB first.

I'm green, but I've read enough posts here and elsewhere to understand sometimes you've got to wait.
I guess I'll never get used to the lack of communication thing. Maybe I just have to trust people more... lol Anyone know a good shrink?

I ordered my POF 308 in January, was told roughly 6 wks.

6 wks later I had my rifle.

Had it shipped to a local FFL here...no problems, easy.

"they're [sic] delivery times suck"????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ORD,

I ordered a URA415-16-11T-223
The 5.56 16" upper, in black.

If I could get a real estimate on timeline and just feel more comfortable that it was a factory backlog as opposed to something else I'd wait and not fret another min.
But if I'm getting the brush off or otherwise poor local service I would ask for a refund and go elsewhere, probably to Frankie Ice and his GB first.

I'm green, but I've read enough posts here and elsewhere to understand sometimes you've got to wait.
I guess I'll never get used to the lack of communication thing. Maybe I just have to trust people more... lol Anyone know a good shrink?

</div></div>

I understand where you are coming from. Nothing more frustrating than being promised something in a certain period of time, then not getting it, then seemingly getting the run-around or not being given any helpful information. I had issues getting my first P-308 in a timely manner (roughly 9mos), but that was beyond all control of the mfg and its dealers. I just happened to get my order in at a time where POF was literally FLOODED with orders in a relatively short period of time and it pushed delivery times WAY out because of production schedules, parts/component availability, etc., etc. Frank and everyone at POF was upset by this problem, but growing pains happen sometimes when products are proven winners and demand skyrockets for them overnight. However, since that time, POF has really gotten production ramped up and seems to be delivering product at a steady pace (which is one of the reasons I would be concerned about a lengthy delay on just a complete upper).

At this point in time, since you have already been waiting 3mo+, your options are somewhat limited and no matter what you do, you'll likely be in the same boat in terms of waiting unless you can find a dealer with the URA415-16-11T-223 in stock and ready to roll out the door.

To that end, if I were you, I would get in touch with a couple of POF's larger stocking dealers and see if you happen to find what you want in stock. If you do, then you can decide if you want to continue waiting or try to get a refund and pull the trigger on the in-stock upper.

Check with:

Rainier Arms (call or e-mail...don't just trust the inventory on their site): http://www.rainierarms.com/

American Vintage Guns (again...you'll have to e-mail/call for status): http://www.avguns.com/uppers.html

Class 3 Weapons: http://www.class3weapons.com/

I am sure that there are other big POF dealers out there that you could check with any perhaps someone can post if they are aware of them...I can only speak to those as I have done business with them in the past.

Thanks ORD,

I was hoping I'd get on here and someone would tell me that there was a parts problem at the factory and they are backlogged.

Unfortunately, I'm getting the feeling that it may be a local issue. Now I have to decide if I'm willing to give this guy more time or get my money back to order the 14.5 with the pinned flashhider that Rainer has in stock.

That's the bitch of it, I ordered this so long ago I decided I wanted the shorter barrel, but I don't want to change my order this late in the game... man, gun ADD sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... man, gun ADD sucks. </div></div>

Tell me about it!!! It is only made far worse by the fact that ARs are so modular and easily "switched up" to something new on a mere whim. Good luck to you on your POF quest and hang in there!!

Dude, the first thing I'd do is go and tell the dealer it's been too long and get my money back. It would be one thing if POF was just jammed and no one had their product. They are not, other people have them in stock.

Are you going to wait around until all the in stock goes and this guy still can't get you the upper.

Get out of the chair and get your gun.

There are good dealers here on the Hide who could have gotten you the upper way before now.

No way I'd sit back while others have it in stock and a guy working out of his house can't get you one.

Good luck, just my thoughts bro!!

I'm going to give him to the end of the month. I'm not looking for some exotic caliber or anything crazy so I should be able to find another one through a hide vendor if I have to.

I want to give the guy a chance to complete the sale, being over 3 months in already, it's not like I'm going to lose a whole lot.

I should have known better when I met with the guy to give him the money down, he never mentioned to me he was working his FFL from his house. I found out when I got there (It's not close to my house at all so I wasn't familiar with the area) Then I got a sob story of him being laid off and starting up an FFL and gunsmithing thing from the house... Everything told me to go home, but I thought why not give the guy some business if he can save me a couple hundred bucks, why not?

Now I know why not... Might be a nice guy, but man...
What makes it worse is this upper was gonna top one of the Hide lowers Big Joe did the Group buy on, I ordered a 7.62 and a 5.56 lower, then ordered the POF and couple weeks later sent the 7.62 set to GAP, GAP built a whole gun for me in half the time I've been waiting for a POF upper - That's what's killing me.. never thought in a million years I'd get the GAP before the POF. (Nothing against GAP just a bigger job)

So, I'm even more antsy because I was able to get a whole gun built faster... well, at least I get to shoot that laser while I wait on the plinker.

gaps good to go everything i have ordered from them came in earlier than i was quoted, kinda surprised by pof thought?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I should have known better when I met with the guy to give him the money down, he never mentioned to me he was working his FFL from his house. I found out when I got there (It's not close to my house at all so I wasn't familiar with the area) Then I got a sob story of him being laid off and starting up an FFL and gunsmithing thing from the house... </div></div>

This would have scared me out. Even nice people do dumb things they normally wouldn't with other people's money under legitimate financial strain. I hope that in your case I am very wrong, but that has been my experience.

Did your deposit cover the full cost of the upper wholesale? Maybe he is having difficulty making up the difference?

Best of luck to you, and hopefully all works out well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even nice people do dumb things they normally wouldn't with other people's money under legitimate financial strain. </div></div>

This is precisely the reason I posted my little rant in the first place. I wanted some opinions from the Hide on what they thought was going on.
I'll be the first to admit I don't trust people a whole hell of a lot when I don't have any info about them or know someone else that would recommend them, so I know I can be unfair. #1, I want to make sure I'm not being unreasonable.
I just wanted some opinions from folks that have a lot more experience in these matters before I become an unruly customer.

Its one thing to bitch a bit on the internet, having a bit of a past in service related fields I understand what it can be like to deal with customer expectations.
As a result I like to error in the vendor's favor, I'll take his word for delay's first, sometimes I get burned a bit on it.
I wanted to make sure that funny feeling in my gut wasn't the pinch of ignorance before I start pushing on this guy for results.

Granted a web Forum might not be the most scientific measure, but you guys around here have quite a bit of quality experience. I have a lot of respect for the opinions from reading other stuff you've had to say.

A kitchen table dealer...in financial troubles...that sounds like a recipe for near certain disappointment to me!!

Knowing that key piece of information now...I would see about getting a FULL refund of my money and going to a reputable, established dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A kitchen table dealer...in financial troubles...that sounds like a recipe for near certain disappointment to me!!

Knowing that key piece of information now...I would see about getting a FULL refund of my money and going to a reputable, established dealer.</div></div>

+1000 on what ORD has suggested above. Each day you wait only increases the chance of you not getting one red cent back unless it's through small claims court and even then, there's no telling how long it will be for you to be reimbursed. For future reference and again, as ORD said, stick with an established, reputable dealer.

You know.. It's times like this that I feel really stupid.

While I'm living through it it doesn't seem bad, sure I feel a bit exposed but don't really worry too much.

Now 3 months later, I'm looking back and typing it down telling you guys about the situation, and I feel like a first class moron when I read it back.

Ugh. I was hoping to feel more comfortable after getting feedback, now I feel worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJPLEO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #000099">http://www.avguns.com/main.html

Felix at AVGUNS has always hooked me up quick, fast and in a hurry.

Matt</span></span> </div></div>

Yup. Another +1 for AV guns.

-dan