• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF P308 Owners...Ammunition Question.

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Do you find your rifle to be picky on ammunition? I went to the range today and got mixed results with several different types of ammo (Some extremely good and some less than desirable).

Results at 100yards

GMM 7.62X51: 2-3MOA
Hornady Tap 168: Close to .5MOA
Handloaded M118LR Clone: 2-3MOA
Handloaded GMM 308 Win. Clone: Close to .5MOA
Southwest 175Gr: 2-3MOA

I ran some GMM 168's which shot well but didn't have enough for a grouping after sighting in.

The GMM 7.62X51, Handloaded M118LR Clone, Southwest all showed signs of pressure which may be why the rifle did not like them.

***The GMM Box stated 7.62X51 rather than 308 Winchester so I note that difference.***

Re: POF P308 Owners...Ammunition Question.

WOW, Im a little shocked there. Every POF we have ran was in the .5 to .75 range. We have tried them out many times.

Some shoot different than others, i do understand this.

Zach

Mine is very picky. Handloads under 180the are all over. Switched to 180 accubonds and etips and shoots better. I tried 38.0 grains of h4895 and shot ok. Bumped up to 39.5 and shoots dimes. Took a lot of effort, but worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW, Im a little shocked there. Every POF we have ran was in the .5 to .75 range. We have tried them out many times.

Some shoot different than others, i do understand this.

Zach</div></div>

@Zach...This says nothing about your ammunition, as it shoots out the lights in my bolt gun. It is looking like the rifle is just picky. I am glad I had lots of different ammunition on hand, otherwise I would have been ready to send the rifle back to the manufacturer. I was surprised to see signs of pressure from factory ammunition I would have called myself a lie had I not seen it with my own eyes. I will load up some pictures later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trisurvivor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is very picky. Handloads under 180the are all over. Switched to 180 accubonds and etips and shoots better. I tried 38.0 grains of h4895 and shot ok. Bumped up to 39.5 and shoots dimes. Took a lot of effort, but worth it.</div></div>

I handload to save money, but I like to have a factory load that I know I can pick up in case I'm pressed for time. My bolt gun shoots well with all of the above listed ammunition, but I guess a gas gun is a different beast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My POF shoots 0.75 moa or less with SW ammo.</div></div>

I will upload pics of the brass and see what you guys think. I only shot 5 rounds and they were all over, which surprised me. I didn't shoot any more because of the pressure signs.