• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF P308

PearlWhiteGT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
Purchased this POF P308 years ago and has been sitting in my safe unfired. Planning on taking it out soon to sight in but wondering what factory ammo these rifles like to shoot with good accuracy. Will be used mainly for hunting hogs and deer. Any of you guys have one and can chime in on what ammo they like?

ubC83g3.jpg

Reactions: TheHorta
The LR308 that I built loves Federal Premium Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 168gr

My rifle has an 18" barrel with a rifle-length gas tube and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.

That said, I think you could get the rifle sighted-in using just about any .308 ammunition (or at least get it close to dead-nuts), then refine using the more premium ammunition! ;)

Good luck.

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT
Purchased this POF P308 years ago and has been sitting in my safe unfired. Planning on taking it out soon to sight in but wondering what factory ammo these rifles like to shoot with good accuracy. Will be used mainly for hunting hogs and deer. Any of you guys have one and can chime in on what ammo they like?

ubC83g3.jpg
I have exactly the same gun, got it maybe 8-9 years ago. Only difference is mine is 14.5” with a POF factory P/W brake. I haven’t shot it in a good few years now, but when I first got it, I took it to a LR class that went out to 750 yards. I was the only gas gun there. You’d think that a 14.5” gas gun wouldn’t be ideal for that kind of thing, but it rocked and I was banging 750 with every trigger pull.

It is a finicky gun and jams a LOT with ammo it doesn’t like. It absolutely hates M80 147gr ball. M118LR is a little better, but it really likes Hornady factory VMAX/AMAX.

It’s a relatively heavy gun, and not very reliable because of its inveterate hatred of any Ammo of the Poors. Which is why I don’t shoot it anymore. I stick with LMT and KAC now. No more frustrations.

I think POF was having issues back then with their piston development. I like the monolithic rail, but aside from that I’m not a fan of the gun.

When the first came out they had a lot of reliability problems. A friend of mine sent his back to POF 3 times and it still never ran reliably. On the other hand I hand an early one and have never had a problem with it Accuracy ws good usually 0.8 moa 5 shoot groups at 100 yards.