• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF Rogue Rebarreling

TheWatchMker

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2022
Delaware
I bought a 308 POF rogue, it shot like shit. Tried 15 different bullets and reloaded my own. Best I’m getting is 2 MOA.

I called them, tried to get a barrel extension so I could buy a match barrel. They wouldn’t sell so I bought a barrel from them, spent the 6 weeks and what ended up being almost 500 dollars to get it rebarreled. Wow that was a waste of money. Gun shoots marginally better

Good news is I got my original barrel back and that has their custom extension.

Wondering if I can send my original barrel out to a smith and have him put that extension on a new barrel or if they are one time use item similar to head studs.

Looking to get a sub moa barrel that’s fluted.

Any recommendations for who to send it to if it’s usable?

I'd try Craddock. And not to sound insulting but do you have another lightweight gas gun that shoots MOA or better consistently? Just want to take the shooter out of the equation as they can be difficult to shoot well.

I'd try Craddock. And not to sound insulting but do you have another lightweight gas gun that shoots MOA or better consistently? Just want to take the shooter out of the equation as they can be difficult to shoot well.

I’ll give them a try, I appreciate the recommendation.

Mine is set up with a badger mount and mark 5 it’s 9 something lbs so not exactly light. That said, I had a Pof prior to this that I actually sold to my brother and it shoots lights out. Last week we shot 10 shot groups around .8”

Same time, I shot his savage 110 sub moa.

Ive shot this rifle in gas gun matches but past 500 is rough. That’s why I want a better barrel
I wanted a lighter rifle because I can’t afford a bunch and this one has to hunt and do it all.

I went through this with POF 2 years ago. It was absolutely absurd. The rifle would barely shoot 2MOA. POF provided ZERO support and would not even rebarrel at the time. I contacted virtually every barrel manufscturer and no one would give it a try. Ended up trading the rifle off. POF sucks

Last edited:
Where there’s a will (and $) there’s a way.

I haven’t heard of a custom barreled one though.
Not in this case. I called over a dozen custom barrel makers and not a single one would try to make one due to the proprietary barrel extension

POF makes almost everything but their barrels in house on the billet guns (assuming forgings are made elsewhere). I've been to the factory. There are a few older threads here where people have gotten barrels made. I believe the extension can be reused but must be installed by someone who's qualified.

I have a Revolution DI which is sub-MOA with several different hand loads when I'm up to the task. And I'm currently having a barrel made for another gas gun from a different manufacturer that uses lots of proprietary stuff including the extension.

• Love
Reactions: TheWatchMker
Not in this case. I called over a dozen custom barrel makers and not a single one would try to make one due to the proprietary barrel extension
I’m thinking since I have the extension, I can get a smith to do it. Well see. I’m going to call around this week

I went through this with POF 2 years ago. It was absolutely absurd. The rifle would barely shoot 2MOA. POF provided ZERO support and would not even rebarrel at the time. I contacted virtually every barrel manufscturer and no one would give it a try. Ended up trading the rifle off. POF sucks
The one I traded my brother has probably 8k through it and still shoots lights out. I thought that was POFs norm, turns out it’s a unicorn

This one is like you said, can’t hit the broad side of a barn. I’m shooting hand loads for 2 moa 😂 it’s terrible

Reactions: BCP
I bought a 308 POF rogue, it shot like shit. Tried 15 different bullets and reloaded my own. Best I’m getting is 2 MOA.

I called them, tried to get a barrel extension so I could buy a match barrel. They wouldn’t sell so I bought a barrel from them, spent the 6 weeks and what ended up being almost 500 dollars to get it rebarreled. Wow that was a waste of money. Gun shoots marginally better

Good news is I got my original barrel back and that has their custom extension.

Wondering if I can send my original barrel out to a smith and have him put that extension on a new barrel or if they are one time use item similar to head studs.

Looking to get a sub moa barrel that’s fluted.

Any recommendations for who to send it to if it’s usable?
Try GAP, their GAP 10 used to be based on the POF Edge.

Sorry to hear your having a tough time, I have a POF Egde that shoots under 1 MOA with factory and hand loads.

Try GAP, their GAP 10 used to be based on the POF Edge.

Sorry to hear your having a tough time, I have a POF Egde that shoots under 1 MOA with factory and hand loads.

GAP 10 were based off the POF P308 when Hogan was making the receivers for POF and GAP.

Huge lawsuit and after that POF started making them in house and if I recall correctly GAP started using Seekins receivers.

Either way, I had a NP3 coated P308 and it was stupid accurate and smooth as snot.. it was a 16" and I went down the road of trying to get a 20" Bartlein made for it and nobody would make a barrel....wouldn't even use the extension off the original barrel which at that time were Rock Creek barrels. This was a LONG time ago.

You'll save a LOT of money and have more compatibility just selling that thing, picking up a receivers set and get a Wilson 308 AR barrels in whatever length you want. Will by WAY more accurate....

Got a new barrel from POf, came back and checked it. Was out of head space.

Patriot valley is making me a proper barrel.

Unfortunately I can’t sell it and get another due to my state laws now.

Reactions: BCP

Rebarreling your POF isn't a problem just call Compass Lake and speak with Paul, he'll get it done. I'm sure Craddock can do it as well but if I was to guess I'd say a 9-10 month wait.

The Rouge is a full sized large frame, there's a good chance there's actually nothing proprietary about it.

Rogue is small frame I think

Curious what kind of barrel they'll make up for him

Rogue is small frame for sure and Patriot valley is using the existing barrel extension which is proprietary and making a barrel from an Osprey Barrel Works blank.

Josh is awesome over there, he’s turning it around in 10 weeks.

Reactions: bigjake83 and BCP

What do you mean out of headspace? Its installed and was out of headspace?

Aren’t the barrel extensions on POF small frames the same dimensionaly as a standard Ar-15 extension. With a section of the extension removed in the area the extractor interfaces with it.

Red .308

Yellow .556

99E99630-619B-45A4-9015-1BDD3BEB8FD1.jpeg

Reactions: bigjake83
I’d love to see some pics of all these “issues”. What ammo, what was your results, etc.

Last edited:
What do you mean out of headspace? Its installed and was out of headspace?

The barrel was shooting poorly so I asked him to check headspace while I was there.

He put a no go gauge in the chamber and the bolt closed with no resistance with it in there.

Totally could be. When I say proprietary, I’m not saying some secrets sauce. Just saying it’s not off the shelf and specific to them
While yes proprietary, I believe(not confirmed) over all not that much different. The material used is a big? IDK Again, this is just me guessing but some one with a little know how could modify a standard AR-15 extension to work. Still placing concern on the material strength if there is any difference.

Also, you are not the only one who has a long head spaced chamber, My revolution even after being rebarrled by them came back long. Makes me wonder if it is done on purpose.

Other Factory AR-308/AR-10's using a sized piece of brass and a hornady comparitor .400" insert (not a persison tool) come out around x of 1.623. The POF comes out around x of 1.629. I wonder if this is being done on purpose. Are they using 7.62x51 headspace specs and not .308. Whats odd though is the chamber is tight around the radius/body of the chamber. About .003 tighter than other ar-308/Ar-10's I have measured brass for.

I personally get around this because I size my own cases a little longer because of this. I have also not had any issue with factory ammo malfunctioning. But obviously that is a lot of brass movement on factory .308 ammo. I personally size around 1.626 ish and the bass is noticeably less abused. Kinda annoying as I have to keep specific brass for it if I want to maxium brass life and minimuize the work when doing brass prep.

Makes me wonder if this is a mistake in manufacturing, or are they chambing long on purpose. Any one with insight at POF know?

While yes proprietary, I believe(not confirmed) over all not that much different. The material used is a big? IDK Again, this is just me guessing but some one with a little know how could modify a standard AR-15 extension to work. Still placing concern on the material strength if there is any difference.

Also, you are not the only one who has a long head spaced chamber, My revolution even after being rebarrled by them came back long. Makes me wonder if it is done on purpose.

Other Factory AR-308/AR-10's using a sized piece of brass and a hornady comparitor .400" insert (not a persison tool) come out around x of 1.623. The POF comes out around x of 1.629. I wonder if this is being done on purpose. Are they using 7.62x51 headspace specs and not .308. Whats odd though is the chamber is tight around the radius/body of the chamber. About .003 tighter than other ar-308/Ar-10's I have measured brass for.

I personally get around this because I size my own cases a little longer because of this. I have also not had any issue with factory ammo malfunctioning. But obviously that is a lot of brass movement on factory .308 ammo. I personally size around 1.626 ish and the bass is noticeably less abused. Kinda annoying as I have to keep specific brass for it if I want to maxium brass life and minimuize the work when doing brass prep.

Makes me wonder if this is a mistake in manufacturing, or are they chambing long on purpose. Any one with insight at POF know?

Did you rebarrel your revolution because it was worn out or did you have issues?

The pof my brother now has, I purchased 10 years ago and it won’t close on a no go headspace gauge.

I sent them an email and they called me asking me to send it back. Didn’t mention they chamber it long or anything. So my assumption is it’s not supposed to be that way. But totally could be, idk why he wouldn’t mention it during our call though.

Did you rebarrel your revolution because it was worn out or did you have issues?

The pof my brother now has, I purchased 10 years ago and it won’t close on a no go headspace gauge.

I sent them an email and they called me asking me to send it back. Didn’t mention they chamber it long or anything. So my assumption is it’s not supposed to be that way. But totally could be, idk why he wouldn’t mention it during our call though.
I called them wanting to rebarrel it. As I had shot like 6-7k rounds though it. And it was starting to open up.

They said they dont sell barrels and had me send it in and re barreled it under warranty.

All I had to pay was a fee at my local ffl to ship. So while a bit of a hassle, they did rebarreling for basically free.

I wish I could just buy a barrel. Which is kind of what drew my attention to this seeing somebody actually make one for it.

I’d love to see some pics of all these “issues”. What ammo, what was your results, etc.
I called them wanting to rebarrel it. As I had shot like 6-7k rounds though it. And it was starting to open up.

They said they dont sell barrels and had me send it in and re barreled it under warranty.

All I had to pay was a fee at my local ffl to ship. So while a bit of a hassle, they did rebarreling for basically free.

I wish I could just buy a barrel. Which is kind of what drew my attention to this seeing somebody actually make one for it.

You know what’s funny, Juan, the customer service guy also said they could ship my rifle direct back to me, “since I already own it”
Which I thought was wrong as well.

I told him I’m grandfathered in and my state won’t let me ship out and then bring it back through an ffl. It’s a dumb rule but that’s what every ffl I have talked to has said.

I asked to buy an extension originally they told me no but I ended up just getting it rebarreled while it was getting the bcg replaced. Cost me 275 for the barrel and I asked for the fluted nitride barrel which only came in revolution and so I had to get the handguard too.

Ended up being 450 bucks, totally wasn’t worth it.

Attachments

• 498702CE-8712-4CEE-A045-77FDE988800C.png
    498702CE-8712-4CEE-A045-77FDE988800C.png
    327.2 KB · Views: 57
You know what’s funny, Juan, the customer service guy also said they could ship my rifle direct back to me, “since I already own it”

I told him I’m grandfathered in and my state won’t let me ship out and then bring it back through an ffl. It’s a dumb rule but that’s what every ffl I have talked to has said.

I asked to buy an extension originally they told me no but I ended up just getting it rebarreled while it was getting the bcg replaced. Cost me 275 for the barrel and I asked for the fluted nitride barrel which only came in revolution and so I had to get the handguard too.

Ouch.

Yeah, I requested a refund and once the smith pulls the barrel I’m going to send it back so they can “verify” it’s out of headspace.

Which I’ll make sure to snap a bunch of pics prior to sending it back.

This same gun is on its 3rd bgc because carrier keys came loose. It uses a dovetail and a single screw. But from what I’ve seen, it relies entirely on that screw being tight.
The stakes were light on both carriers and I couldn’t get the screw tight again on one after it failed. Maybe 60rds the first one and 400 rds the second one.

My newest one the stakes were light too but I took out the screw to make sure it wasn’t stripped and then torqued it back and staked it myself so hopefully no more issues there. The dovetail still seemed loose on my current one but we’ll see. I may end up buying a spare bolt carrier because that thing seems like a liability.

I also got their adjustable gas block thinking it was over gassed and beating the pants off it. But that was on the first carrier and still had the second one become loose.

Reactions: GreenGO Juan
What is not “shooting” good. Do you have any other firearms that shoot “good”? In mass production it easy to get a lemon, sorry you have an issue. On your 3d BGC is very unlikely same for 2 barrels not shooting “good” POF for some
Reason has become the “Kimber” of ARs and if they were as bad as the haters say would be out of business now. If your luck is that bad be careful everywhere you walk or go. Let’s see the data.

Dunno about DE laws and regs but my understanding of Fed regs is that you can send a controlled gun/gun parts back to manf or gunsmith without FFL and they can send it back the same. Of course, dealing with a shipper is another story.

Am I wrong about this? I know, for example, that you can ship a can back to TBAC for repair (and they back to you after repairs are complete) without any sort of transfer process.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Dunno about DE laws and regs but my understanding of Fed regs is that you can send a controlled gun/gun parts back to manf or gunsmith without FFL and they can send it back the same. Of course, dealing with a shipper is another story.

Am I wrong about this? I know, for example, that you can ship a can back to TBAC for repair (and they back to you after repairs are complete) without any sort of transfer process.

The newest round of Delaware Laws are the problem from my understanding

Reactions: Baron23
What is not “shooting” good. Do you have any other firearms that shoot “good”? In mass production it easy to get a lemon, sorry you have an issue. On your 3d BGC is very unlikely same for 2 barrels not shooting “good” POF for some
Reason has become the “Kimber” of ARs and if they were as bad as the haters say would be out of business now. If your luck is that bad be careful everywhere you walk or go. Let’s see the data.

I’ve had a few sigs with issues cycling but generally shooting ok.

POF advertises 1 moa guarantee, and as a customer. I expected that meant something.

Best groups I got was 2” with GMM and I would say it was typically a 3 moa gun.

I don’t think it’s a lemon thing as most reports I’ve seen with the Rogue have been poor accuracy and my buddy who also bought one his shoots about the same.

There’s plenty of videos and forum posts about it.

That said, idk what data I can provide other than my service tickets saying they changed my BGCs and I got new barrels.

I didn’t record me shooting 3 moa groups and then walk down and say wow 3 moa.

I’m don’t care if you believe me or not tbh, I said where I’m at in the process and asked for suggestions on a gunsmith.

Once I get my new barrel in, I’ll be sure to shoot some groups and post em.

Attachments

• 596A7F8A-3A38-45D8-9D5A-2854EC6EB119.png
    596A7F8A-3A38-45D8-9D5A-2854EC6EB119.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 112E3031-A156-4DFE-8F91-8E851B773EE4.png
    112E3031-A156-4DFE-8F91-8E851B773EE4.png
    466.1 KB · Views: 57

This is correct but as you stated depends on vendor and shippers sop.

Reactions: Baron23
What ever happened with this?
I have a Revolution DI in 6.5 creed and a Revolution 12.5 pistol in 308. I haven't had any issues but I was looking to replace my barrel on the 6.5 since its getting shot out, and want to get a proof barrel for it.
Can you just swamp these with no issues?

What ever happened with this?
I have a Revolution DI in 6.5 creed and a Revolution 12.5 pistol in 308. I haven't had any issues but I was looking to replace my barrel on the 6.5 since its getting shot out, and want to get a proof barrel for it.
Can you just swamp these with no issues?
Hey amigo,

Still waiting for the barrel, Josh changed shops and so they’ve had quite a bit of down time.

I’m hoping to have it in the next few week as it’s about to be match season.

They are using my first barrel and taking the extension from that and threading it onto a new barrel.
Not quite a remove handguard and drop in like you would with a typical AR barrel.
it’s not a standard extension.

Reactions: tyrider427
Be sure to give us updates @TheWatchMker

I bought a used Rogue that shot absolutely horrific. 6"+ at 100M on a good day. Tried everything I could to get it to shoot.

I wound up sending it in to POF and they replaced the barrel and hg with Revolution parts for a reasonable price.

Finally got to shoot the rebarreled Rogue-alution today. Accuracy is right where I was expecting it to be, sub 1.5moa with the cheapest 175smk on the market, so I'm happy with that. However, with the gas block fully open it will not cycle this ammo I have 800 rounds of. I guess the 16" RLGS is just too close to the edge.

Anyway... Ive got the crappy barrel sitting at home and would like to reuse the extension to upgrade it at some point in the future.

I bought a used Rogue that shot absolutely horrific. 6"+ at 100M on a good day. Tried everything I could to get it to shoot.

I wound up sending it in to POF and they replaced the barrel and hg with Revolution parts for a reasonable price.

Finally got to shoot the rebarreled Rogue-alution today. Accuracy is right where I was expecting it to be, sub 1.5moa with the cheapest 175smk on the market, so I'm happy with that. However, with the gas block fully open it will not cycle this ammo I have 800 rounds of. I guess the 16" RLGS is just too close to the edge.

Anyway... Ive got the crappy barrel sitting at home and would like to reuse the extension to upgrade it at some point in the future.

check your gas block on your bolt carrier, see if the key is loose. if it wobbles then you need to tighten it and re-stake it. Its what the issue was with mine on the first go round.

check your gas block on your bolt carrier, see if the key is loose. if it wobbles then you need to tighten it and re-stake it. Its what the issue was with mine on the first go round.

Checked it and the gas key is solid and properly staked.

I don't want to blame POF so I'm going to assume its the ammo. I had 9 rounds of Hornady 150gr IL's which fed properly, locked back on the last round, and ejected about 2X as far. Unfortunately I used up all my other ammo testing the original barrel, so don't have anything else to try out for the time being. I think I'm going to wait until .308 FMJ comes down a little and see how that runs. This stuff I'm stocked up on ran fine in the Rogue barrel with its MLGS so I do think its the RLGS not playing nice with this load.

OP: Did you try bedding the barrel?

Amy competent machinist familiar with ARs can use the existing barrel extension with a new barrel.

Your gas gun fundamentals really need to be dialed-in to shoot a lightweight .308 or 6.5CM auto-loader well. They are a handful and will break your position pretty hard with each shot.

I think these small frame guns with .308-based cases do better in .243 Win, 7mm-08 with 120-140gr, and keeping projectile weights lighter if shooting .308 and 6.5mm. Those types of loads aren’t so common in factory ammo though, so manufacturers will port and gas the gun for typical ammunition in the 147-168gr region for .308, and 140-147gr for 6.5CM.

6.5CM does better with 100-130gr in gas guns. I don’t even like shooting anything larger than 130gr Berger in my .260 Rem gasser, which is an excellent balance for the system and downrange performance. Hornady released a lot of factory 100gr ELD-VT 6.5 Creedmoor, which I saw on the shelves right next to the 100gr ELD-VT Grendel ammo as well when I picked some up last week.

What brand of problem ammo?

OP: Did you try bedding the barrel?

Amy competent machinist familiar with ARs can use the existing barrel extension with a new barrel.

Your gas gun fundamentals really need to be dialed-in to shoot a lightweight .308 or 6.5CM auto-loader well. They are a handful and will break your position pretty hard with each shot.

I think these small frame guns with .308-based cases do better in .243 Win, 7mm-08 with 120-140gr, and keeping projectile weights lighter if shooting .308 and 6.5mm. Those types of loads aren’t so common in factory ammo though, so manufacturers will port and gas the gun for typical ammunition in the 147-168gr region for .308, and 140-147gr for 6.5CM.

6.5CM does better with 100-130gr in gas guns. I don’t even like shooting anything larger than 130gr Berger in my .260 Rem gasser, which is an excellent balance for the system and downrange performance. Hornady released a lot of factory 100gr ELD-VT 6.5 Creedmoor, which I saw on the shelves right next to the 100gr ELD-VT Grendel ammo as well when I picked some up last week.
A proper built ar shouldn’t need bedding tbh. Should be machined square and without slop to begin with but no I haven’t.

I’ve shot top ten in local matches so I’m a pretty decent shot. I also have other lightweight ars not in 308 that shoot lights out.

A proper built ar shouldn’t need bedding tbh. Should be machined square and without slop to begin with but no I haven’t.

I’ve shot top ten in local matches so I’m a pretty decent shot. I also have other lightweight ars not in 308 that shoot lights out.
There have been several built with high-end components and top barrels that just wouldn’t shoot, that were cured with bedding after I worked them over with some basic accurizing approaches known to the AMU and the precision-oriented shops and shooters.

Iron Ridge Arms Billet set .308 with Krieger barrel, Geissele SSA-E trigger, 1.7” 5rd groups at 100yds before with a proven load shooting SMKs.
Shot .6” 5rd groups out of the gate after bedding with the same load.

JP 18” .224 Wylde barrel in forged AR upper, 1.7” 3rd groups before.
Bug-holes 5rd groups after bedding

Lilja 22” 6.5 Grendel Fluted Bull barrel in Seekins billet set, Geissele SSA-E, 1.2-1.5” 5rd groups before
.3” to .6” groups after with factory Hornady 123gr

Those were 3 that stuck out to me off the top of my head.

I would try bedding it and if it doesn’t shoot off a good rear bag with Bulls Bag front support tucked close to the mag well, then go on to replacing the barrel.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
There have been several built with high-end components and top barrels that just wouldn’t shoot, that were cured with bedding after I worked them over with some basic accurizing approaches known to the AMU and the precision-oriented shops and shooters.
Iron Ridge Arms Billet set .308 with Krieger barrel, Geissele SSA-E trigger, 1.7” 5rd groups at 100yds before with a proven load shooting SMKs.
Shot .6” 5rd groups out of the gate after bedding with the same load.

JP 18” .224 Wylde barrel in forged AR upper, 1.7” 3rd groups before.
Bug-holes 5rd groups after bedding

Lilja 22” 6.5 Grendel Fluted Bull barrel in Seekins billet set, Geissele SSA-E, 1.2-1.5” 5rd groups before
.3” to .6” groups after with factory Hornady 123gr

Those were 3 that stuck out to me off the top of my head.

I would try bedding it and if it doesn’t shoot off a good rear bag with Bulls Bag front support tucked close to the mag well, then go on to replacing the barrel.

It’s already at the smith unfortunately, but I’m hopefully it will be excellent when I get it back

I know it wouldn’t sit right with me if I shelled-out that kind of money and got those kinds of results.

I’m generally distrustful of the industry when it comes to reliability and accuracy, so I prefer to get parts from known companies and assemble myself. I’ve probably short-changed myself from a lot of good rifles doing that, but I have certain preferences for how the barrel extension should look, how the gas tube aligns with the carrier key, coatings, barrel nut torque, ejector face tuning, extractor tuning, chamber specs, gas port dims, etc. etc. and I don’t feel like it should be my job to have to disassemble everything to determine what all those are and correct them, so I just do it from scratch.

It would be better to have a POF small frame builder’s kit for someone like me.

Would be really cool in 7mm-08.