• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors POI change from suppressed to non-suppressed...

jtb33

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
PHX, AZ - USA
So I have a good load worked up for my Remington 700 and a dope chart printed out with my zero at 100Y. It has an RWS muzzle brake on it, if that matters. When I swap the break for my thread-on 308 suppressor, obviously the POI shifts somewhat considerably, if not consistently at 100Y.

I'm just wondering the best way to manage this dual-muzzle-attachment situation. Should my same dope chart be applicable whether the suppressor is being used or not once I modify the zero depending upon whether the suppressor is attached or not? Is it as simple as just noting the corrections I need to dial for suppressed/unsuppressed and then proceed status-quo?

Hope that makes sense...

Re: POI change from suppressed to non-suppressed...

Run 2 charts with 1 zero. I zero at 100 unsuppressed and then gather dope with the can. My windage doesn't change so, it's just an elevation number. It's a whole lot easier to write and dial another number rather than re-zero with the can.

just log both dopes as long as its repeatable.

If you shoot without a brake at times then you should log all 3.

You're adding a weight to the end of your barrel it's going to make a difference, how much depends on your contour, length and the weight of the item being screwed on or taken off.

Really it's just an offset to the original zero. For example, I just ran my rifle with the Gemtech Sandstorm yesterday. I zero with the suppressor in place. With the can off, I need .7 mil down and .3 right to get to zero. My 800 yard comeup is 6.4 mil, with the can. To shoot with the can off, I dial 5.7 up and .3 right. Firing 3 shots with the can and 3 shots without gave me a 4.7" group.

The basic ballistics remain the same, unless you get a big freebore boost from the can, like 40fps, which is unusual.

I actually had this feature designed into FFS, so I run one zero for suppressed, bare muzzle, full power 175's, 200 subsonic and AP. I select the round and/or offset file and read the dope. You can do the same with cards, just add/subtract the offset from the comeup as required. No rezeroing or need to remember numbers, just use the right card.

I appreciate the replies and the link to the target. Makes sense and I think I have it now.

Good ideas. I need to do this exact thing for my .22lr with one column for suppressed subsonic and the other for unsuppressed supersonic.