• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes POI & magnification?

DropinLead

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Desert of Az.
Just got ATACR, was going to zero at 100 with 12x, when I go out farther I was going to increase magnification but I was wondering if on a sfp scope, does poi change from original zero for elevation if I increase magnification?

If so do most people zero at 1 magnication and use it like a fixed power scope. Seems if zero changes with magnification it would make calculating drop more involved than just moa. Just trying to set expecations for when I experiment this weekend.

Thanks.

I don't know if your serious or not. Especially if your scope is the NightForce that is referenced. Just in case you are serious, no the POI will not shift. That used to be a problem on low end budget scopes, but nowadays even they seem to be doing that just fine.

Now go out and shoot it and see for yourself.

Ok fine, that part I knew about subtending being different at different magnifications. NF tells me the ATACR is measured according to manual at max power. As long as I can zoom in with more power as distance and the 100yd poi not changing I am good to go. I won't be calculating ranges like hunters do, mainly just paper at known distances where I just use bullet flight to calculate clicks. As long as bulletflight is still accurate at increasing powers and range I'm fine.

25x is a lot of power, and holdovers are a pain with sfp at different magnifications. I suppose once I figure it out at different powers I can document it on a card and avoid tons of clicks. Kinda wish I got the nxs f1, but at least I got their newest with hd glass etc.. The glass and contrast is far better than the naked eye that's for sure and WAY better than the Millett I replaced and actually liked for what it is.

I am going to see tomorrow but just wanted to set expectations. Someone told me it changes but I am sure I mis understood is all hence the post.

Thanks!