• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report POI shift 155 and lighter

Beef82

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
NC
I have a Rem 700 SPS-V in .308Win, freefloated in a B&C medalist stock and have noticed a distinct POI shift with 155 and lighter bullets. I typically shoot 168BTHP or Amax or 178BTHP which zero basically the same as far as windage, elevation when changing projectiles is of course to be expected. When I switch to lighter bullets, including SMK 155Palma, Horn 155Amax, or 150 Interlock there is a 3-4MOA windage shift to the right, this has been consistent since the rifle was new with factory or handloaded ammunition. Just curious I simply elect not to shoot lighter bullets, but my other .308 does not behave like this, nor do I recall any other rifles I've shot, atleast not so dramatic, so I don't believe its normal. Thanks for any insight.

Re: POI shift 155 and lighter

Completely normal.

For some background literature: Google up "Optimal Charge Weight" and "Optimal Barrel Time"

It is all about the barrel vibrations, and they all vibrate differently.

I'm no expert that's why I asked. I know barrels vibrate and timing of projectile to those vibrations is paramount for consistent results.
I've shot many loads in several calibers/chamberings and have of course seen horrible groups and 1-2 MOA shifts, but I'd never seen such a large shift apparently completely dependent on projectile weight. Powder charge in this case effects group size and elevation but not horizontal center of it, and regardless of bullet design, secant or tangent, boattail or flat base, if they're 155 or under they go way right. Seems odd thanks for your replies.

Don't forget barrel torque from the rifling. Part of what you observe comes from taking a smaller-mass object from rest to high rotational speed.

Newton and all that.