• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Point me towards a "Competition" worthy pistol.

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
So I find myself doing more and more competitions where a sidearm is required. I'm talking about matches like Mammoth, Major Land, Guardian Team matches, etc. I'm not strictly a pistol only competition guy. I'm more of a rifle competition guy who also has to be able to shoot a pistol on stages. Last summer I ran a backyard test with 4 different types of 9mm ammo, and four different 9mm pistols (G17,G19,M17, & M9A3) at about 25 ft, all with iron sights and they all seemed to shoot the same. No combination of pistol and ammo really stood out as better than the rest. Of those guns listed, I have taken my G17 to each of the competitions, but I could have done just as well with any of the others. This led me to thinking I may be able to shoot past the limits of those guns as far as accuracy goes. I'm not trying to get a big ego or say I'm the best shooter in the world because I'm certainly not, but at the competitions I go to I don't miss many pistol points and I see a lot of other people riding the struggle bus.

From what I've read, the CZ Shadow 2 seems to be a popular choice, but this kind of pistol is out of my wheelhouse. I'm not opposed to getting something that'd take a red dot, but if I do that I'd like something very robust and not the Glock MOS because I tried that once and wasn't impressed. I shot a friends Shadow 920L and compared that to my G17 and other than a more comfortable grip I didn't see any better performance on the paper target.

Should I stay with the current pistols and go with better ammo? I can reload whatever I want, but I've just been shooting run of the mill 9mm ammo and getting by. For an event like Mammoth I take the Aluminum cased ammo because it's lighter, but otherwise I don't give pistol ammo nearly the thought that I do handloaded match rifle ammo. Don't get me wrong here either, if I do Mammoth for a 3rd time I'll be taking the G17 because it's lighter weight. For a regular competition I'm fine hauling around a heavy pig of a pistol.

I'm not afraid to spend the money, but I don't want to get the pistol to the range and not be impressed. I don't know what direction to go with this so I thought I'd ask people here.

When it came out, the CZ Shadow 2 was really made to dominate USPSA Production. And it did. Get a good trigger job or DIY with a Cajun Gun Works kit and it will run all day. With lighter springs and 147gr subsonic ammo it's as flat as you could hope for.

I had mine milled by CZ Custom for their optic plate system, but that was before the Optics Ready version ever came out.

It's not light though. That certainly helps with follow up shots and for recoil, but it's more weight in your holster if that's a problem. I don't do 2/3 gun comps, so I don't know how that would affect you.

Reactions: teddy12b
It doesn't get much more robust than a G17 or G19 with a RMR. The dot will be a bigger advantage than changing out to any other gun and my concern would be to keep things as light and small as possible while still being able to make good hits. Reliability/durability being key so something like a Glock 17/19/45 or VP9OR with red dots would be the first choice.

Worry about a new gun once you can outshoot a glock. Until then you are wasting money and training opportunity.

You are kind of all over the place. Decide whats important and figure out what you want. Asking randoms here on the internet is not going to yield much success until you can define what you want/need.

B377E84A-A99F-4276-ABC3-2B8BC5472B41.jpeg

The reason I'm asking is because I believe I can outshoot my Glocks on a precision marksmanship only aspect of the gun. Regarding the durability and reliability that's why I'm a fan of them, and I've taken them on hiking trips, carried for self defense etc. I thought I was more clear, but competition level accuracy is what's important to me. I am completely all over the place trying to figure out which gun leads to better accuracy and that's why I'm asking here and not other forums.

I’d echo the statement that the biggest upgrade you could do is a dot sight and train with it a bunch.
I’ve been eyeballing the Dan Wesson DWX as something I may eventually jump into, but they’re not offered in an OR version yet in the full size.
I think I’d stick with the G17 or another poly pistol type when you’re taking about mammoth; the weight savings would probably outweigh any accuracy gains over a full race gun.
I’ve been running a full size Walther PDP with a dot and honestly don’t have any excuses to upgrade other than having some range bling. Needless to say, I’ve been very happy with it.

Reactions: BurtG
I assume you are worried about cost? And will not be doing USPSA?

Get a used 1911 in 9mm and put a red dot on it.

Mine was $800 when I was done with it. Hits 10 inch plates at 50 yards all day long.

Otherwise do the CZ thing. But one already modified that the seller will vouch for.

CZ shadow 2
CZ p10 series
S&W MP 2.0
DW DWX 🔥
Staccato or 2011 something
S&W MP9 Metal, plain or competition spec, is surprisingly accurate. The competition sub-model gets you a magwell and (4) extended mags. I did have to put a tungsten guiderod in mine (plain) to get the balance I wanted.

Part of it depends if there is are any equipment rules in the matches the OP plans on shooting. I’m coming from USPSA, where the different divisions kind of dictate the gun choices. For example, Production and Carry Optics require a striker or DA/SA trigger, no SAOs allowed. Limited division pretty much lets you use whatever kind of gun you want, but the 2011 platform is probably the most popular. Not being familiar with Mammoth Sniper Challenge other than there’s a lot of rucking involved, to me that seems like weight would be a factor. How challenging is the shooting? Size of targets and distance? Are there any equipment requirements?

My initial gut reaction would be to stick with the Glock platform or a polymer striker fired pistol if the OP is already accustomed to shooting them. I’ve been shooting and competing with CZs for a while, but the Shadow 2 weighs around 46 oz empty if that is a factor. Prior to that I shot Limited Division with a 2011, love the platform, gun and trigger can be tuned to your hearts content, and if you stick with the polymer grip they weigh around 36 oz.

Can you run a red dot or are you restricted to irons at those matches? My eyes went and got old on me so I’m pretty much forced to run red dots on pistols and I rarely shoot irons anymore. But the red dot can help with accuracy and speed if that is the OP’s goal.

Reactions: Modoc
Stay with the G17 or G19, get an optics ready one or new slide for yours, good red dot (i.e SRO or Holoson Comp) and throw a Timney trigger in it (they are surprisingly very nice). Still a lighter pistol, robust, can likely share mags with shooting partner, etc.

Then shoot 4-600 rounds a week doing quality training for a month. Then re-evaluate your choice.

What type of accuracy is required? Unless you’re shooting bullseye matches, I can’t imagine the need to outshoot typical production pistol capabilities. I shot USPSA and 3-gun for several years, netting a state championship and never thought pistol accuracy was holding me back.

Reactions: Thorbeast
So I find myself doing more and more competitions where a sidearm is required. I'm talking about matches like Mammoth, Major Land, Guardian Team matches, etc. I'm not strictly a pistol only competition guy. I'm more of a rifle competition guy who also has to be able to shoot a pistol on stages. Last summer I ran a backyard test with 4 different types of 9mm ammo, and four different 9mm pistols (G17,G19,M17, & M9A3) at about 25 ft, all with iron sights and they all seemed to shoot the same. No combination of pistol and ammo really stood out as better than the rest. Of those guns listed, I have taken my G17 to each of the competitions, but I could have done just as well with any of the others. This led me to thinking I may be able to shoot past the limits of those guns as far as accuracy goes. I'm not trying to get a big ego or say I'm the best shooter in the world because I'm certainly not, but at the competitions I go to I don't miss many pistol points and I see a lot of other people riding the struggle bus.

From what I've read, the CZ Shadow 2 seems to be a popular choice, but this kind of pistol is out of my wheelhouse. I'm not opposed to getting something that'd take a red dot, but if I do that I'd like something very robust and not the Glock MOS because I tried that once and wasn't impressed. I shot a friends Shadow 920L and compared that to my G17 and other than a more comfortable grip I didn't see any better performance on the paper target.

Should I stay with the current pistols and go with better ammo? I can reload whatever I want, but I've just been shooting run of the mill 9mm ammo and getting by. For an event like Mammoth I take the Aluminum cased ammo because it's lighter, but otherwise I don't give pistol ammo nearly the thought that I do handloaded match rifle ammo. Don't get me wrong here either, if I do Mammoth for a 3rd time I'll be taking the G17 because it's lighter weight. For a regular competition I'm fine hauling around a heavy pig of a pistol.

I'm not afraid to spend the money, but I don't want to get the pistol to the range and not be impressed. I don't know what direction to go with this so I thought I'd ask people here.
Try a G17.

Action pistol shooting really isn't a precision sport, its a speed vs accuracy sport. If you are dropping points, I 100% guarantee its you not the gun. I'm not trying to be mean or elitist, I've shot a TON of pistol matches.

Reman ammo, and a shit ton of practice got me an M card with an M&P. In fact one of the top shooters in the pistol shooting world uses:

A glock.

In USPSA style comps (that includes multigun--unless you are stationary shooting at a bullseye target, you are action shooting), its not the gear. Any quality handgun will do. There is totally a follow the leader "We all need Shadow 2 and Tangfos" Then there is always that jackass with a glock who wins.

(and you can replace glock with M&P, CZ, Walther, Sig--any striker fired tuperware)

I've been away from pistols a while playing with rifles, so I forget who they guy was, but he was a top 3 while Stoeger was raping the field regularly in USPSA and IPSC worlds. (IPSC is slightly different as it does handicap Glocks as first trigger pull had to be 5lb?, so the DA/SA could have the DA at 5lb and the sub 2 for everything after.)

Reactions: 1911Shootist
How challenging is the shooting? Size of targets and distance? Are there any equipment requirements?

Can you run a red dot or are you restricted to irons at those matches? My eyes went and got old on me so I’m pretty much forced to run red dots on pistols and I rarely shoot irons anymore. But the red dot can help with accuracy and speed if that is the OP’s goal.
The pistol shooting at the matches I like isn't like a run is running around blasting at carboard targets 20 ft away around a barrier like the pistol matches I've only seen on TV. The pistol shooting is more to keep rifle guys honest and make them show they can at least use a pistol. Some of the trickiest shots would be something like a steel plate tucked behind trees where only a small portion is showing. So the pistol shooting isn't running and gunning blasting away for time, it's about an accurate shot on a challenging steel plate, while it's still not bullseye competitions either. The pistol challenges at matches I like really aren't out of the question for a standard G17 that I'm already running. All I've done on mine if trijicon HD sights, and undercut job, and the glock factory competition slide lock. Nothing fancy or over the top about what my G17 is, but I like accurate guns was wondering if something was out there that's better.

The pistol shooting at the matches I like isn't like a run is running around blasting at carboard targets 20 ft away around a barrier like the pistol matches I've only seen on TV. The pistol shooting is more to keep rifle guys honest and make them show they can at least use a pistol. Some of the trickiest shots would be something like a steel plate tucked behind trees where only a small portion is showing. So the pistol shooting isn't running and gunning blasting away for time, it's about an accurate shot on a challenging steel plate, while it's still not bullseye competitions either. The pistol challenges at matches I like really aren't out of the question for a standard G17 that I'm already running. All I've done on mine if trijicon HD sights, and undercut job, and the glock factory competition slide lock. Nothing fancy or over the top about what my G17 is, but I like accurate guns was wondering if something was out there that's better.
Adding a red dot with 2-4 MOA dot may be a big help then. It takes care of hard to see sights over dark backgrounds and the smaller dots are better for precision work. If the dot is adjusted you can make it bright enough to easily find.
I think there are guns like the CZ that are a joy to shoot, and easier to shoot well, but for what your doing probably not noticeably more precision.

Reactions: teddy12b

Stick with the Glock. Maybe throw a red dot on if you like those type of things but the Glock will do what you need without issue. Back when there were pistol stages and parts of stages in what are now "PRS" matches all I used was a Glock and it never let me down.

OK, that helps a little.

I have two thoughts for you:
1) There are more accurate guns out there, but by your own admission the G17 you have is up to the task. I can shoot Glocks but they are not my preferred. In fact, of the 3 kinds of trigger systems out there, SAO is my main preference followed by DA/SA, and striker-fired guns are last. I own all three kinds and have shot them in competitions. But it’s a personal thing and it really comes down to what you’re accustomed to and train with. So I still think you ought to stick with the Glock. If you have an itch to try something new, go to a pistol match, check out what others are running, and ask questions. A good chance they’ll let you try their guns.

2) Some of the PRS shooters I shoot with mock USPSA bc all they see is the huge size of the cardboard targets at hosing distance. Yeah, there is some of that, but there’s also smaller targets at much further distances. It depends on the match and stage designer. USPSA is based on hit factor scoring, so time is of the essence and at the end of the day you still have to hit what you aim at and the different scoring zones yield different point values. I like accurate guns as well, but I can’t just not practice and pick up a gun on match day and expect to do well. I shoot a lot of pistol, dry-fire even more. Hell, I once spent an entire winter shoot indoor Bullseye league to get better at one-handed shooting.

I know the above is not what you were asking, but if you are looking for a more accurrate pistol than what you currently have, then my suggestions are to look into custom 2011’s (a local gunsmith build the two 2011’s I own and they are probably the most accurate pistols I own), or check out the G34 or even a G17L (long slide) If you can find one. The longer sight radius will help if you’re sticking with irons.

I don’t think rifle people have a clue about USPSA. Yes, there’s blasting a full IPSC at 7ft. But there’s also a headshot over a no-shoot at 30ft sometimes. There’s a big difference in skill required to put 2 in the A zone eyebox at speed and distance, and those that just A-C their way through an entire match. At the top, any scoring zone on a target outside of the A-zone might as well be a miss. And even at those levels, the hardware isn’t what is holding you back.

If I’m rolling around prone in the dirt at a rifle match and need a sidearm, it’s going to be a sand eating Glock/plastic production gun, not an accuracy guaranteed steel gun. And I hate glocks, lol.

I've been away from pistols a while playing with rifles, so I forget who they guy was, but he was a top 3 while Stoeger was raping the field regularly in USPSA and IPSC worlds.
Dave Sevigny, most likely.

Reactions: DocRDS
I don’t think rifle people have a clue about USPSA.
I definitely fall into the camp of people who don't have a clue about USPSA, but I have seen some of them on TV and some of those shots are a legit challenge that's an accuracy challenge. It interests me honestly, because i like seeing how one stage is more of an accuracy challenge while the very next stage is a full run and blasting away.

If I’m rolling around prone in the dirt at a rifle match and need a sidearm, it’s going to be a sand eating Glock/plastic production gun, not an accuracy guaranteed steel gun. And I hate glocks, lol.
It’s been a few years since I shot 3-gun, but 9mm 2011’s were pretty common back then and I ran one as well. I imagine now with USPSA Limited Optics gaining ground there’s probably a lot more red dotted 2011’s out there.

People don;t run 2011's for accuracy, they run them for the trigger/weight/mag capacity. In pistol shooting its about recoil, trigger press and speed: How fast can you get back on target. People don't dig Tanfo and CZ because of accuracy, it was because a big gun helped soak up recoil, they could shoot weak 9mm loads (Chubbies we called them 147 gr @ 800-900 fps) so you had zero recoil. Even in the "Limited" world of double stack 1911s it was your trigger: Single Action (gee I wonder what kinda gun that favros) big and heavy and 140mm mags. Shooting for 10 years no one ever had a serious convo about which gun was more accurate. It was Recoil + Speed= Get your gun on target ASAP. Any gun was capable to taking the shot. Reliability was number 1, followed by recoil/speed. Accuracy was all about the shooter, not the gear.

Dawson Precision entry gun was a Springfield XD in 40 cal. Barrel was stock......

I shot USPSA/IPSC with a Glock, Sig P229, and 1911 (Para Ordinance) and had lots of fun. What I learned is that the Glock grip angle is not for me. The Para was obtained partly because EVERYONE recommended a 1911. I shot it much better and still have it. But the Sig P229 is still my favorite because of fit, feel, and accuracy. Even with everyone telling me “it’s gonna wear out”. That did not, and is not going to happen (built really well).

So what does this mean to you? Only that you should shoot 100-200rds through anything your considering before you commit. IMHO It has to fit you well, have a manual of arms you like, and sufficient quality for accuracy and longevity.

Pick well. Enjoy.

OP is not shooting USPSA so any comparison is a moot point.
I 100% disagree. Almost all action shooting is based around either steel challenge or USPSA (IPSC) style shooting. Although the run and gun gets all the fun, shooting plate racks or Texas Stars at 25 yards is definitely an accuracy drill on par or harder then anything 3-gun or outlaw I've seen. In fact, pistol only matches typically are tougher than multigun pistol portions because 3 gun is a generalist while USPSA is a specialist. (just like PRS is "harder" for rifles than 3 gun).. Its not a dis on 3gun, or multigun: rifle and pistol are very separate disciplines! In swimming the individual stroke champs rarely win the IM. Same thing here. (You say Michael Phelps, I give you Jerry Michulek)

Ironically the same guns that populate "limited" USPSA class are the same ones you see in multigun iron sights (2011s) except Multigun generally doesn't have pistol power factor so they shoot 9mm instead of 40. Why? Recoil. Less Recoil=More Speed. Its the same game

So until you do bullseye, USPSA (or steel challenge) is probably the hardest test of pistol accuracy. The scoring and targets used are the same as multigun. If you haven't had to make a precise shot in a pistol match, its the MD, not the sport.

Example Classifers: https://uspsa.org/viewer//03-18.pdf (15 yards, strong hand, weak hand)
https://uspsa.org/viewer//03-14.pdf (15 yards, right/left hand, 25 yards both hands)

And these are classifiers, MD are free to put up whatever include No shoots/partials, small plates, plates that spin, etc...

I'll keep saying it: The gun is not the problem (Like others, I dislike the glock feel, which is why I ran an M&P--which is a Glock, made by S&W).

Now if you want a different gun? fine. But don't blame accuracy. Blame Glock being fugly

P.S. One of the things pistol shooting taught me is when i can go fast, and when I need slow down. Inside 7 pray and spray, 15 yard, "hey these sight things are handy" 25+ Yards "Stand/Sight/Squeeze" Texas Star "Goddamn you Ryan: Focus/Breath/Top"

I 100% disagree. Almost all action shooting is based around either steel challenge or USPSA (IPSC) style shooting. Although the run and gun gets all the fun, shooting plate racks or Texas Stars at 25 yards is definitely an accuracy drill on par or harder then anything 3-gun or outlaw I've seen. In fact, pistol only matches typically are tougher than multigun pistol portions because 3 gun is a generalist while USPSA is a specialist. (just like PRS is "harder" for rifles than 3 gun).. Its not a dis on 3gun, or multigun: rifle and pistol are very separate disciplines! In swimming the individual stroke champs rarely win the IM. Same thing here. (You say Michael Phelps, I give you Jerry Michulek)

Ironically the same guns that populate "limited" USPSA class are the same ones you see in multigun iron sights (2011s) except Multigun generally doesn't have pistol power factor so they shoot 9mm instead of 40. Why? Recoil. Less Recoil=More Speed. Its the same game

So until you do bullseye, USPSA (or steel challenge) is probably the hardest test of pistol accuracy. The scoring and targets used are the same as multigun. If you haven't had to make a precise shot in a pistol match, its the MD, not the sport.

Example Classifers: https://uspsa.org/viewer//03-18.pdf (15 yards, strong hand, weak hand)
https://uspsa.org/viewer//03-14.pdf (15 yards, right/left hand, 25 yards both hands)

And these are classifiers, MD are free to put up whatever include No shoots/partials, small plates, plates that spin, etc...

I'll keep saying it: The gun is not the problem (Like others, I dislike the glock feel, which is why I ran an M&P--which is a Glock, made by S&W).

Now if you want a different gun? fine. But don't blame accuracy. Blame Glock being fugly

P.S. One of the things pistol shooting taught me is when i can go fast, and when I need slow down. Inside 7 pray and spray, 15 yard, "hey these sight things are handy" 25+ Yards "Stand/Sight/Squeeze" Texas Star "Goddamn you Ryan: Focus/Breath/Top"

You can disagree if you like but I have shot USPSA and IDPA and have also used a pistol in rifle matches for years and there is no similarity other than shooting at targets.

Even 3 gun isn't like a rifle match that he is talking about. I shot 3 gun too. The pistols don't get as dirty. Having a super accurate pistol that isn't reliable isn't worth a damn.

1911/2011 platforms rule the roost in handgun competitions.

Every division of USPSA where you're allowed to use anything you want is dominated by 1911/2011s. People shoot other guns in other divisions because the 1911 isn't allowed. I would take my cue from that.

Sure, lots of stuff works. Howa's and Savages, 308s and 223s work in PRS. Any handgun will work. How serious do you want to take it should dictate factory polymer or steel target pistol.

I don't have any leg in the competition part. But I have all the pistols you tested and many many more...

I picked up this SIG P320 Spectre Comp last year and it's the easiest, smoothest, softest shooting 9mm I've ever owned and rivals the accuracy of my custom 9mm SIGS that have custom shop and Barsto barrels/custom shop work.. before picking up this pistol my full custom shop P226 was the top of my list..

But Damm this Spectre comp is lighter and smoother and just as accurate. It's just a pleasure to shoot. Sits in the hand like it was born there, recoil is so damn light/smooth. Can't recommend enough.. especially with worked up handloads. I load 124 and 147 HST's and Xtreme 124 and 147 HP with VV N340. Stupid accurate

1911/2011 platforms rule the roost in handgun competitions.

Every division of USPSA where you're allowed to use anything you want is dominated by 1911/2011s. People shoot other guns in other divisions because the 1911 isn't allowed. I would take my cue from that.

Sure, lots of stuff works. Howa's and Savages, 308s and 223s work in PRS. Any handgun will work. How serious do you want to take it should dictate factory polymer or steel target pistol.

OP is not talking about handgun competitions. He is talking about field rifle matches with some pistol events. Totally different game.

I would just like to point out that none of these comments have anything to do with accuracy.

1911s dominate because the trigger and the weight (all steel, and pretty much everyone agrees 1911 Trigger done well=BEAST)
CZ made a bit of a dent with their Tactical Sport, but it was a flat face trigger, but again it was SAO

No one talks about mechanical accuracy in handgun competition unless you go to very specialized matches. (and they are usually 22 olympic style). When you claim you have "out shot the pistol accuracy" your claim is suspect. IIRC Tanfos hold 2MOA at 50 yards from a rest. But nobody shoots from a rest with a handgun.

So if you want a really accurate handgun? Get a revolver.

The reason I'm asking is because I believe I can outshoot my Glocks on a precision marksmanship only aspect of the gun. Regarding the durability and reliability that's why I'm a fan of them, and I've taken them on hiking trips, carried for self defense etc. I thought I was more clear, but competition level accuracy is what's important to me. I am completely all over the place trying to figure out which gun leads to better accuracy and that's why I'm asking here and not other forums.
I dont think you'll gain much iver a glock in the accuracy dept. Maybe if you want a 5k 1911. Like others said get a red dot. I know my irons damn near cover a ipsc at 120y. I can still hit it almost 100% but if it gets any smaller its gambling.

I dont think you'll gain much iver a glock in the accuracy dept. Maybe if you want a 5k 1911. Like others said get a red dot. I know my irons damn near cover a ipsc at 120y. I can still hit it almost 100% but if it gets any smaller its gambling.
Ok, now that just isn't true 🤣

There's some pretty significant differences in design between a Glock and a 1911 platform that clearly seperate them in the accuracy department.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Ok, now that just isn't true 🤣

There's some pretty significant differences in design between a Glock and a 1911 platform that clearly seperate them in the accuracy department.
In pure mechanical accuracy? Not really
Edit you may be able to shoot a 1911 better but thats not the point i was making

Reactions: Birddog6424
I appreciate all the comments guys I really do. Doesn't sound to me like there's an absolute no brainer answer to this or some clear winner of a pistol that I wasn't aware of.

This did get me thinking that I haven't shot my 1911 in quite a while though and I need to dust that off, lol.

So along these lines, a buddy of mine recently picked up a shadow systems 920L and other than feel and cosmetics the only real thing I saw that I liked noticeably better than a comparable glock was the ability to directly mount a red dot optic rather than the glock MOS system.

Is there a clear winner out there for pistols that mount up with red dots better than the others? Maybe the optic is the thing that'd be a next natural step for me. I don't know.

I am currently running a new Sig 226 X-Five Legion. I wish it was 40 or 45 but its is helluva gun even in 9mm. The comp works quite well to tame even +p+ ammo

So along these lines, a buddy of mine recently picked up a shadow systems 920L and other than feel and cosmetics the only real thing I saw that I liked noticeably better than a comparable glock was the ability to directly mount a red dot optic rather than the glock MOS system.

Is there a clear winner out there for pistols that mount up with red dots better than the others? Maybe the optic is the thing that'd be a next natural step for me. I don't know.
If I were looking for a dot sight gun, I would look pretty hard at the Sig P320 RXP. very nice handgun.

I like my SP-01 but I'm not going to use it for rifle-centric field matches or RnG. It's just too heavy.

I think a lot of people just get a G19/17 and put grip tape or stipple it and change the sights to whatever they like.