• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Point of impact shift with SSG 69

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
Picked up another Steyr SSG69, seller had barrel cut to 18.5" and threaded and told me he couldn't get it to group(got it cheap). Took it to the range at 200yds (5)rds of M852 grouped 1", (5)rds of GoldMedal at 7/8", (5)rds 155Nos Custom Comp w/44g of 4895 at 1 1/8". Then it went to shit- all groups fired from then on would string vertically down to 6"! WTF? Copper fouling? Barrel got hot? Scope problem? Never had this issue with my first SSG69.

Re: Point of impact shift with SSG 69

which rounds were going vertical...all of them or just the reloads?

how clean is the barrel? did you remove all the fouling before shooting or did you just go shoot?

Too many variables. Pick on type of ammo for your testing, then go back to the range and fire 1 round, let cool to cold bore, shoot again, let cool to cold bore...do this for a couple strings of 5rnd groups. ((cooling, about 15 minutes each round)

Started with a clean bore, did not clean between ammo types. Vertically strung groups were successive groups fired with the same types of ammo. Did find some pretty severe copper fouling while cleaning that evening. Cleared the copper with Sweets 7.62 and a little JB's bore paste. Maybe that was it. I'll try her again this weekend.

how clean is clean? I'm guessing removing all copper fouling? If so, that could be it...maybe your bbl shoots better fouled.

if you can find someone with a bore scope, I'd look in the bore at the throat for any erosion/carbon fouling...take a close look at the muzzle at the crown...is it even?

Hello,

the SSG69 stocks are made of polycarbonate. This stuff gets brittle with age. There may have developed a hair crack in the area between the magwell and the triggerguard in the stock. Typically the rifle shoots great, and then suddenly it goes sour on the shooter. This crack can be too small to be seen easy.
There is a gunsmith in austria, who fits an alu bedding block in the stock after milling out the broken plastic. Usually the rifles shoot great again after this repair. Maybe you can find a competent smith over there who can help you.
Or fit another stock to the action, the AICS mags for example are superior to the Steyrs, and cheaper.

Or maybe it is something completely different
wink.gif