• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Point of impact

armada

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Livermore, California,
I was searching around this forum on information on point of impact when you change power on avariable power scope. I've had no luck. I was wondering if someone you can shed a little light on the subject.

What I was wondering, on the mid priced variable power scopes (Leupold, Nightforce BR, around $1400), does the point of impact change when you power up or down to a different power setting. I guess I'm talking about second focal plane scopes. I've often wondered if it changed. Could be that my eyes are just bad.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Point of impact

If it shifts, your scope is defective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it shifts, your scope is defective. </div></div>
+1. If it changes, I'm kickin' someone's arse! It shouldn't change at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was searching around this forum on information on point of impact when you change power on avariable power scope. I've had no luck. I was wondering if someone you can shed a little light on the subject.

What I was wondering, on the mid priced variable power scopes (Leupold, Nightforce BR, around $1400), does the point of impact change when you power up or down to a different power setting. I guess I'm talking about second focal plane scopes. I've often wondered if it changed. Could be that my eyes are just bad.

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Did you reset or check the paralax for each power ?

I've used several VX Leupolds and the point of impact has never changed with a change in the power setting. If your using a 2nd focal plane scope to range with you need to have the scope set on the correct power for that scope. The FFP will allow you to range at any power. However, this may be very hard to do at lower power setting because the reticle gets so small. Again this is only what I've read and been told. Haven't had a chance to use a scope with a FFP.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It may be that I can see the target better with a higher magnification. I have a Leupold Mark IV fixed 10X and a Leupy Mark IV variable 8.5-25. I seem to group much better with the higher magnification. If I start out at 10X, I can hit my target but grouping is okay. But when I use the variable and power up to around 18X then I group really well.

Then when I power up to 25X, it moves closer to my target, a dot on the paper. Also, it may be mirage. I usually do my shooting in the winter. Lately, it's been near 90 and 100 degrees here so mirage may be playing a role.

Anyway, I was just curious about the impact change. I figured it would have to be a broken scope if the POI did change. Also the shooter ability, vision, rifle and different ammo would also play a role and many other variables.

Thanks everyone for your input and all your expertise. I enjoy reading all the excellent information and suggestions on this forum.

Thanks again.