• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Polarizing filter for rifle scopes

TXSGFmrCWO3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2018
Fort Bend County, Texas
I saw this topic mentioned briefly in another thread, but not much since.

I used to be a semi-pro photographer. The most useful filter I used was a polarizing filter. Think back to the vibrant colors of Miami on "CSI Miami." When you see Miami (or anyplace else for that matter) with nothing but your MK1 eyeballs, the colors are no where near as saturated because of the glare.

So, there I was at the range trying my best to see hits on the 200 yard target through the mirage and glare. What we need is a polarizing filter for rifle scopes, I thought.

It should have a quick adjust handle (maybe even spokes) and be click locked like the turrets. Regular photographic filters simply would not work with recoil since they are friction fit without any kind of locking.

I know it can be done, and I know it would be useful.

For the non-photographer audience, good polarizing lenses are of the highest quality optical glass and would not affect the POI.

Comments? Ideas?

I guess a film might work if it is in a frame that keeps it perfectly flat.

The only problem is a polarizing filter has to be rotated to filter out the correct waves.

I can see some kind of rubberized sleeve that locks the diopter ring by gripping further up on the scope body, then having some kind of rotating eyepiece of the ocular end.

Some manufacturers seem to be all stuck up with stupid ideas about not wanting to sell their little filters to us "normal people".

Just look online and grab the name brand ones when someone not a dealer has them up for sale.
Or there is nothing really crazy special about them, you could make one pretty easily with one with a small camera filter.

I have one of the Tennebrax ones and it works very nicely for cutting the glare when the sun is rather bright.

Some manufacturers seem to be all stuck up with stupid ideas about not wanting to sell their little filters to us "normal people".

Just look online and grab the name brand ones when someone not a dealer has them up for sale.
Or there is nothing really crazy special about them, you could make one pretty easily with one with a small camera filter.

I have one of the Tennebrax ones and it works very nicely for cutting the glare when the sun is rather bright.
I know it really is dumb as shit like some POS is going to order a polarizing filter for a 2k plus optic and go on some kind of shooting spree on people through windows............Wait hold on now that I think about it I could see the media "What made it possible for Joe Dumbdick to shoot through the window was this special polarizing filter.........how anybody can get one and shoot through a window stay tuned for this special report"

How about just wearing polarized glasses?

Well, I thought my prescription sunglasses are polarized, but I could be wrong. When I get through reviewing the Sightmark Citadel, I may play around with it a bit.

One thing I was thinking, despite the LE/MIL only place's product, is that proper polarization should probably take place in front of the objective. The primary theme is reducing the glare effects from the lens system itself.

Life is always full of questions.

Reactions: BigTex

This makes sense to me. ^^^

Polarization only works with certain light angles so cutting down a huge part the of light in the scope for the sake of glare would likely only be beneficial in very specific situations at specific times of the day.

Ever tried to wear polarized glasses and look into a polarizing lens?

I say just wear polarized glasses.

I bought a camera filter and a UV one after one nasty day shooting in the desert. It worked great. I just used a pair of calipers. I still use it now. Obviously it helps with the glare. I say go for it

HK Dave is right, you shouldn’t double polarize with both glasses and a filter. It will severely distort the colors and limit the amount of light you receive to a disabling degree.

I’ve thought about getting a filter for my spotting scope. I actually found a few for both my scope and spotter online, 56 & 85mm. You should have threading for a sunshade/ard which would allow you to attach a filter. If recoil causes a problem some purple lock tight would fix the issue.

I've ran polarizing filters on my scopes at times, mostly to protect the objective lens from getting sandblasted from the idiot who has to plop down next to you with a nasty brake when they have the whole range to choose from.

I did read in my March Optics manual, and if I recall Hendsoldt also states, that if you use a filter, it should go on the ocular side, and not on the objective, as it can cause distortion. I think it all depends on the quality of filter glass, as I cannot tell a difference with my SB's.

I've ran polarizing filters on my scopes at times, mostly to protect the objective lens from getting sandblasted from the idiot who has to plop down next to you with a nasty brake when they have the whole range to choose from.

I did read in my March Optics manual, and if I recall Hendsoldt also states, that if you use a filter, it should go on the ocular side, and not on the objective, as it can cause distortion. I think it all depends on the quality of filter glass, as I cannot tell a difference with my SB's.
Sorry about that, you looked lonely so I thought it was a good idea. ;)

I really should get my duckduckgo in a row before posting.

Found this:

http://ustacticalsupply.com/weaponsightpolarizer.aspx

For LE/MIL only though.

I notice that the polarizer is designed for the occular lens rather than the objective, which makes sense.
Yes, sometimes duckduckgo cannot get in a row :(. I'm amazed at how much better Google search really is for the most part, but only use it sparingly at home.