• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polite muzzle break? RPR

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Spring Hill,Tn
Hey guys sorry for another muzzle break thread, but I'm wondering what the hide thinks about muzzle break upgrades for the rpr. I have the gen 3 rpr so it has the stock brake on it.

The recoil on my 6.5 is mild, but I'm wondering if there are better options than the stock one.
I don't want a obnoxious brake that will blow gas and concussion back in my face.

I also would like a brake that won't blow away the guy next to me on the bench/range.

Does this exist or would I be better off just keeping the stock brake on it.
Thanks

Also side note not sure if this matters but I'm still on my stock barrel, but in a month or two will be upgrading to either a proof stainless barrel or a white oak. Was going to buy a new brake when I get the new barrel. Or possible screw the stock brake on the new barrel

I have one of these on my 6.5 RPR :

It doesn't reduce recoil but it pushes everything forward, away from everyone.

You mean shooting like a civilized person who lives in the 21st century? Get a suppressor. Buy a thread-over can, like TBAC Ultra series or SiCo Omega, and use the muzzle brake that it comes with until the wait is over.

Reactions: Bender
LANE Scorpion King. $800 with tax stamp. Extremely accurate.

It’s the only polite brake.

As many have stated there is not really going to be a brake that is polite and effective. So here are some suggestions:

Effective:
PVA Jet Blast
APA Little Bastard or Big Bastard
Area 419 Hellfire or Sidewinder

Those are probably the best at least the PVA and Area 419 are self timing. Switch barrels all you want and you can time it yourself with no issues.

Polite:
TBAC Ultra 7
Sico Omega 300

The wait times suck but I shoot only with suppressors, I get about 80% recoil reduction of a solid brake but I don't kill my ears or the people around me. I would suggest buying the Area 419 setup and then look into the adapters for suppressors to mount easily. It is the best and easiest system. I have both cans mentioned above as well as a Hellfire brake and I can easily swap them between several rifles with no compatibility issues.

You could look into the Surefire Warden. It look like there is one for 5.56 and another for 7.62 but I think you have to have a Surefire muzzle brake on there already.

I would take a hard look at the Piercision Arms Muscle brake. 5 port self timing. It helps with recoil a good bit, and isn’t violent towards the shooter or spectators at all. I can sit right next to the shooter and not flinch when he shoots. It’s smooth.

anyone bitching about the concussion from a muzzle break can find another sport and stop being a pussy.

on magnum calibers (.300win mag, .338, .50 ect) there are legitimate concerns

but those griping about concussions from braked .308s, 6.5s, .223s can all sack up and deal with it....its honestly not that bad.

but those griping about concussions from braked .308s, 6.5s, .223s can all sack up and deal with it....its honestly not that bad.
Its not that good either. In fact I say its not good in any way.
Its not that bad, its still bad.

OP- there is no such thing as a polite muzzle brake. If youre going to brake go for a home run brake and dont sacrifice the recoil reduction.

A brake is noncompatible with "politeness"

Get yourself a
blast mitigator/concussion reduction device. It’ll push everything forward. No reduction of recoil, but no tossed salad, no concussion to the face and definitely won’t piss off your neighbors to the left and right of you on the firing line.

Wait times on suppressors aren’t getting any shorter.

I agree with mcameron to a degree. If YOU want to reduce the blast of YOUR rifle because YOU don’t like it- do whatever makes you happy. But, if you can’t handle the blast from some one else’s rifle, back up further off the line or find a new sport.

Oh, the only polite muzzle brake is a suppressor.

As to the specific brake in question, I don’t think you will see a noticeable reduction in recoil by “upgrading” the brake on the rpr. It is a perfectly serviceable design and does what it is supposed to do. Keep the stock brake and consider buying a new brake when you change the barrel.

If you’re not going to buy the most effective, most obnoxious brake you can find, and you are not going to buy a suppressor, just put a thread protector on the end and move forward.

Last edited:
I'd say the most civil brake I've used is an Insite Arms Heathen. It is so much more comfortable to use than my APA Little Bastard. Surprisingly I found the TBAC CB brake to actually be pretty loud for only having two small ports. Having said that, I exclusively use suppressors now and won't shoot without them.

The angle of "If you can't handle the concussion then find a different sport" always struck me as stupid. People act the same way about recoil too. I don't think the measure of a man or woman should be how much abuse they can take from their own rifle instead of changing things about it. Concussion is a real problem even with smaller calibers, I'll link a relevant article below.

I'd say the most civil brake I've used is an Insite Arms Heathen. It is so much more comfortable to use than my APA Little Bastard. Surprisingly I found the TBAC CB brake to actually be pretty loud for only having two small ports. Having said that, I exclusively use suppressors now and won't shoot without them.

The angle of "If you can't handle the concussion then find a different sport" always struck me as stupid. People act the same way about recoil too. I don't think the measure of a man or woman should be how much abuse they can take from their own rifle instead of changing things about it. Concussion is a real problem even with smaller calibers, I'll link a relevant article below.

Agreed.

I have not tried the Insight Heathen, but I have used the APA LB, PVA Jetblast, and Impact Precision brakes. The APA LB is effective but is the most obnoxious for blasting the shooter and neighbors with gas and dirt. The PVA Jetblast and Impact Precision are effective and don't blow gas and dirt on the shooters and neighbors. I have retired my APA LBs and now use either the Jetblast or Impact brakes.

Great info guys this was exactly what I was looking for.
What I've gathered

The brake I'm looking for that is great at recoil reduction and is somewhat quiet is called a suppressor lol

My stock brake on the rpr is probably just fine for now as I think it does a good job at not being obnoxious and it manages recoil well.

I had never really given serious thought to a suppressor before. But after staying up all night reading, I think I am going to go that route.

Once I rebarrel I will most likely purchase a jetblast or some other self timer and just live with that till my can gets released.

Thanks again guys for the input