• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poll: 1 in 4 Millennials Say Parents Cover Their Rent

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

millenials
Getty images/Lifestyle
Katherine Hamilton27 Jan 202368

2:53

Roughly a quarter of millennials say their parents cover their rent, and 35 percent of U.S. adults say their parents still pay for at least one of their bills, a new poll found.
The New York Post reported on the survey Friday, which was conducted with 2,000 Americans by OnePoll on behalf of Chartway Credit Union. The survey found that the top three expenses parents pay for their adult children are rent (19 percent), groceries (19 percent), and utilities (16 percent).
Almost 25% of millennials' parents cover their rent: poll https://t.co/4EHHqAKqDl pic.twitter.com/wnvYUDUEnN
— New York Post (@nypost) January 27, 2023
“About three-quarters of those respondents (72 percent) plan to take on these bills themselves within the next two years, but 30 percent admit they will be riding the wave until they’re told otherwise,” according to the report.
Thirty-one percent of respondents say they accept their parents’ help because they are trying to save money.
But despite enlisting their parents’ financial assistance, 85 percent of those polled say they are responsible with money. Seventy-three percent report opening their first bank account by the time they turned 25 years old, and 21 percent say they had a bank account before they turned 18. Whether they had a bank account or not, 30 percent of respondents say they had their own money to spend by the time they were 15 years old.
“How to spend and save responsibly are lifelong lessons,” Brian T. Schools, President/CEO of Chartway Credit Union, said. “It’s noteworthy to see that over three-quarters of those surveyed have been managing their own money for most of their lives. Still, a third of respondents find it difficult to find helpful resources to manage their finances.”
Half of adults did say they struggle to tamp down on frivolous spending, and 45 percent say they do not handle unexpected expenses well. Forty-percent say they struggle to pay their bills on time. Those poll struggle less with taxes (32 percent) and keeping a high credit score (26 percent).

Nearly 40 percent of millennial’s polled did say they have difficulty finding accessing useful resources to help them understand their finances. That percentage is much higher than for baby boomers, 11 percent of whom said they struggle finding useful financial information.

“While 85 percent of respondents see themselves as financially responsible when it comes to things like credit scores or savings, ironically, 50 percent of them struggle with unnecessary spending or unbudgeted expenses, and 40 percent struggle to remember to pay bills on time,” Schools continued. “Conflicting data such as this tells us that a lot more adults could benefit from some form of financial education, whether it’s provided in schools, online, or by their financial institutions.”

HILARIOUS!!!!

I’m not sure I believe this. I’d believe that we as taxpayers are. Never seen a dime from my folks since I moved out after high school. Bought my house when I was 23. Do have a beer drinkin buddy who is in his 40s and mommy and daddy still pay his phone bill and buy his family more than just gifts for the kids. Fucker will nickel and dime himself to death buying crap that he then has to buy again or small quantities of stuff for much higher prices. The kind of person that looks at the monthly payments, not the interest rate or loan length.

I wonder what percentage of millennials are still in college.

I wonder what percentage millennials have 100k+ in student loan debt.

Reactions: tomcatmv
When I moved out, I was paying a $500+ house note on $8/hour. It was a bitch, but I never once did I ask my mom for money. She didn’t have it anyway. I was eating a lot of peanut better and jelly sandwiches at the time. 😄
My son is out of school, with a shitty job and crappy income. He hasn’t asked me for money. My daughter is still in school. My wife and I cover anything that her scholarships don’t. That’s it.

Last edited:
So, gen x is a failure? Or nah?

I'm gen x and I have a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old. I know I had kids late but I'm not sure gen x is the parents of milinneals....

If it is then it is, or if it's another gen. Whoever it is 1 in 4 failed their children and I suspect the boomer ratio of doing the same garbage is as much or more, and probably whatever the next gen is will too because we have a soft and excuse driven nation.

Reactions: BCP
i raised two gen Z. both are men who stand on their own two feet. no one pays for a fucking thing for them.

i told them that their responsibility in life was to build themselves into pillars who can support and provide for their family....and no one else. not dad, not mom, not grandma.....not their buddy....etc. i told them i'd get them to 18, then it is up to them.

both are doing great.....they owe nothing and have more cash in the bank than most people my age. i warned them about all the pitfalls, and to watch out for them and to never have the "it can't happen to me" mentality.

show me a shitbag kid, and 99% of the time, they have a shitbag parent/s. fight me.

Born between ‘81 and ‘94, relatively few millennials are still in college. These are the children of late boomers and early genXers. Bear in mind that early millennials are in their early 40s, and even late millennials are nearly 30.

Those ‘kids’ just now entering the workforce (or finishing highschool and entering college) aren’t millennials. They’re genZ(oom)ers

show me a shitbag kid, and 99% of the time, they have a shitbag parent/s. fight me.
100%^^
I'm not totally into blaming current problems on one generation or another, and I'm definitely not proud of my fellow Millennials, but it's worth pausing to reflect on what the Boomers are leaving behind as their legacy..

My parents helped me with part of my bills for the first 2 years of college before I enlisted.
I'm thankful for their help when I absolutely needed it, but I'm mostly grateful that they taught me to be self reliant and to work for what I have.
Many of my friends did not learn those valuable lessons from their parents.

• Love
Reactions: myronman3

millenials
Getty images/Lifestyle
Katherine Hamilton27 Jan 202368

2:53

Roughly a quarter of millennials say their parents cover their rent, and 35 percent of U.S. adults say their parents still pay for at least one of their bills, a new poll found.
The New York Post reported on the survey Friday, which was conducted with 2,000 Americans by OnePoll on behalf of Chartway Credit Union. The survey found that the top three expenses parents pay for their adult children are rent (19 percent), groceries (19 percent), and utilities (16 percent).

“About three-quarters of those respondents (72 percent) plan to take on these bills themselves within the next two years, but 30 percent admit they will be riding the wave until they’re told otherwise,” according to the report.
Thirty-one percent of respondents say they accept their parents’ help because they are trying to save money.
But despite enlisting their parents’ financial assistance, 85 percent of those polled say they are responsible with money. Seventy-three percent report opening their first bank account by the time they turned 25 years old, and 21 percent say they had a bank account before they turned 18. Whether they had a bank account or not, 30 percent of respondents say they had their own money to spend by the time they were 15 years old.
“How to spend and save responsibly are lifelong lessons,” Brian T. Schools, President/CEO of Chartway Credit Union, said. “It’s noteworthy to see that over three-quarters of those surveyed have been managing their own money for most of their lives. Still, a third of respondents find it difficult to find helpful resources to manage their finances.”
Half of adults did say they struggle to tamp down on frivolous spending, and 45 percent say they do not handle unexpected expenses well. Forty-percent say they struggle to pay their bills on time. Those poll struggle less with taxes (32 percent) and keeping a high credit score (26 percent).

Nearly 40 percent of millennial’s polled did say they have difficulty finding accessing useful resources to help them understand their finances. That percentage is much higher than for baby boomers, 11 percent of whom said they struggle finding useful financial information.

“While 85 percent of respondents see themselves as financially responsible when it comes to things like credit scores or savings, ironically, 50 percent of them struggle with unnecessary spending or unbudgeted expenses, and 40 percent struggle to remember to pay bills on time,” Schools continued. “Conflicting data such as this tells us that a lot more adults could benefit from some form of financial education, whether it’s provided in schools, online, or by their financial institutions.”

HILARIOUS!!!!
Boo-fucking-hoo. Seems to me like they got it figured out pretty well. For themselves

What retirement fund? Mom, MEATLOAF!