• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poll: Build my stock with Atlas or Harris

Poll: Build my stock with Atlas or Harris

• Atlas rail with Atlas bipod

Votes: 70 43.8%
  • Atlas rail with picatinny adaptor for Harris bipod

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Badger rail with Atlas bipod

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Badger rail with picatinny adaptor for Harris bipod

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Front stud only for Harris bipod

Votes: 47 29.4%

• Total voters

thrusty

Patriot
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Hedgesville, WV
I know there's plenty of threads that describe the pros and cons....But I want something a little more custom.
I have a Manners T4A being built in probably another 2 months and it's currently configured for a single stud in the front for a Harris bipod that I already have.

I still have time for a change request...so, I'd like to get the general consensus of Hide members on their opinion of what I should do.

Rifle will be used for tactical matches...

Even if you stick with the stud for a harris, HAVE THEM ADD A SECOND STUD! One for the bipod, one for a sling. AND it makes it easier to switch to a rail for an Atlas later on......

If anyone has any photos of their stock with an Atlas or Badger rail that'd be nice. I haven't been able to find the difference between the two rails. Looks like Atlas can also accommodate a sling stud?

Even if you stick with the stud for a harris, HAVE THEM ADD A SECOND STUD! One for the bipod, one for a sling. AND it makes it easier to switch to a rail for an Atlas later on......

I currently have it configured for a front sling stud and a flush cup on the forearm. You're saying replace the flush cup with another sling stud?

Nope. You made it sound like the single stud was the only attachment point on the front.

Both of the Atlas rails and the Badger rail have holes for a push button swivels.

If anyone has any photos of their stock with an Atlas or Badger rail that'd be nice. I haven't been able to find the difference between the two rails. Looks like Atlas can also accommodate a sling stud?

The Atlas rail has a QD flush cup, so you can mount your sling right to it. Very nice and slick, much easier than the flush cup on the side. Adding one of these rails yourself is so easy, you don't need to have Manners do it for you.

I know on my old stock I had them install two studs on the bottom and a flush cup on the side.

So, it sounds like if I were to get an Atlas or Badger rail, I wouldn't need the sling stud or flush cup on the forearm?

I would still get a sling stud or flush cup mount on the forearm, as the tension and ergonomics change with where you mount your sling. In non-traditional shooting positions, extra mounting solutions allow for options and a more stable position.

I'd say get the rail installed and then you can use an adapter for the harris until you get the atlas bipod and youll be good to go.

If it is for tactical matches I thought the Atlas was a little slow for my liking. When you are shooting a barricade and then have to go prone for instance on the same stage of fire. Hope this helps. Dean-o

Atlas only has one production size and is pretty limited as far as use in a field (literally) because of grass and other obstructions whereas Harris takes you from 6-9 to 13-27 and at least 2 other sizes in between.
Add a rail and an ADM or Badger quick release and swapping out is easy.

Here's an atlas rail on a HS precision stock:

Here's another atlas rail I installed on my wife's Manners T5:

No need with the Harris. You can just hook the sling to the bipod and when you put the Pod Loc on it makes a good hand stop for positional shooting.
P1100495.jpg

P1100496.jpg

My only advice is only get a swivel stud if you want to mount the harris to the front, all other sling attachment points go for flush cups, you will be much happier. As far as bipods go I use both and have no preference other than the atlas doesnt ring like a harris when shooting with it.

While I have 2 Atlas bipods that are great, I seem to be using my Harris bipods more nowadays.

fireEMT5 has the ticket....................get the Seekins rail, it has the sling loop on the end and then you can use either at your discretion (or a sling if you want.)

Last edited:
Have the same stock as you T4A and had both the atlas with a rail and a harris with the stud. Needless to say the atlas has been sold and the harris sit on it now with a podloc. Harris is much simpler and easier to use in the field IMO. Now if you are gonna just shoot it off a bench all the time...then I think either will work.

No need with the Harris. You can just hook the sling to the bipod and when you put the Pod Loc on it makes a good hand stop for positional shooting.
P1100495.jpg

P1100496.jpg

Please sir, hire a hand model next time. It looks like you work for your living. Such fine rifles handled by such barbarians!

I didn't see the option on the poll for "make a damn decision on your own".

I'm sure shooting in general would be so much better if we never asked nor used the opinions of others who have first-hand knowledge and experience.

Thanks for your comment - I'll be sure to add a specific option in all my polls for the trolls who want to contribute meaningless information. ;)

My recommendation is to get an Atlas rail no matter which bipod you decide. It has the flush cup built in already and gives you versatility. I very much like running a Harris with a quick detach rail adapter. You can take the bipod on and off in a second.

Does Manners do Anschutz rails? I know McMillan does. If you can, get an Anschutz rail. If you can't, well, I would go with the McMillan in that case. To me an Anschutz rail is that big a deal. The Anchutz rail is full length and adapters exist to allow attachment of pretty much anything you would want to attach to the bottom of a stock regardless of what use you have in mind or don't have in mind but decide on later on. It basically gives you the ability to further configure the rifle for multiple purposes while not chewing up your hands like a stupid Picatinny. Really the position shooting guys figured this out years ago and only recently have tactical stocks started sporting Anschutz rails. It's about time in my opinion. I would not buy a new high end stock without one.

That's very nice. But for that amount of money, I'd probably just buy the Atlas.

My change request is in to have the Atlas rail installed. I think it adds more flexibility to the stock. Probably run the Harris with a rail adaptor until I can find the funds for an Atlas.

Folks at Manners are good people...I could only imagine how many emails they get a day with people asking to change their order....they took care of me immediately and no questions asked.

Atlas, all day. I like the quality of it and I only wanted to buy once. After using an Atlas, a Harris just seems cheap and less stable.

My experience with adapters to rails is a height change I do not like. Like a taller height above the pivot. I do like the Harris on a stud, on a stock with a low bore center.
A1-3 with one foreword stud being my favorite.

Harris via QD rail, thou i will be getting Atlas in near future
Neither
Will be as versatile as a good tripod, 6" to crouch standing and anything inbetween
but for speed of deployment, hard to beat a harris on a QD rail

Final results: Atlas rail and Atlas bipod

Completely happy with it....other that the quality and machining of the bipod, the ability to easily add leg extensions really sold me on the Atlas.

e2e7.jpg

Last edited: