• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POLL: Most comfortable Stock or Chassis for YOU?

Most comfortable: Stock or Chassis?

• Total voters

Notdylan

Privates
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
Beechgrove, Tennessee
Please only vote if you have experience with more than one of the options listed.

What are you most comfortable with? I'm not concerned about aluminum in hot/cold, just what allows you to be the most comfortable behind the gun.

XLR Element is my favorite just for pure value.
MPA and Manners are tied for my next choice and are extremely nice but expect to pay premium prices.
KRG, MDT, AI, are also great options but just didn't appeal to me for one reason or another.
KMW is also on my must have list but again very pricey. Oh, and an Orias chassis. JAE deserves a shout out as well.
Bottom line, the end user has to go and lay hands on each one to find likes and dislikes. All of them are proven/solid choices, all are "adjustable", all have some claim to fame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balor and Basher
I am first and foremost a McMillan/Manners guy. That having been said, I've learned to like the AT chassis as well, which shocked me a little. I think the AX would be even better, but an AIAX is a little (a lot!) outside my reach right now, so I settled for an AT, and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I also had an XLR Element for awhile, and actually liked it a lot. It was light weight, sturdy, and very simple. I could easily see myself having another.

But I sold a A5 to help acquire the AT, so getting another one of those is higher on my list!

Reactions: Boss334OP
I haven't had the opportunity to get behind a Bravo yet. How is the butt-stock rigidity? I know the KRG Bravo's aluminum backbone does not go back past the rear tang. I would have liked to see a complete aluminum skeleton, but maybe that isn't needed (read "I like over-engineered BS" lol).

I haven't had the opportunity to get behind a Bravo yet. How is the butt-stock rigidity? I know the KRG Bravo's aluminum backbone does not go back past the rear tang. I would have liked to see a complete aluminum skeleton, but maybe that isn't needed (read "I like over-engineered BS" lol).[/QUOTE

I don't think it is needed and haven't noticed any problems with the rigidity of the stock on the bravo chassis. I actually replaced some whiskey three's I had with the Bravo chassis with W3 forends which imo look much better, are stiffer, and have better mounting options.

Reactions: Boss334OP
I've had a KRG X-Ray, MPA Competition chassis, and now have a Manners EHF1A. I finally found the right fit (for me) with the Manners. Though the stock on my hunting rifle I'm having built on a Nucleus will be an EH1A or EH1. The folding mechanism adds too much weight.

Me Eliseo RTS chassis (www.gotxring.com) is infinitely adjustable, and puts the bolt directly inline to the buttstock, making it easily the most comfortable chassis/stock setup I have ever used.

I cant believe MPA didnt score higher! Ive tried all the chassis on the list excluding Manners. I expected Manners to rate high, but i expected MPA to be up there with it. MPA was the chassis that convinced me to stick to chassis rather than move to stocks. I find them sooooper comfy.
The other chassis are great too, but the weight, balance, contour, and stock setup on the MPA has been a dream for me.

I have tried a bunch of different chassis. They all had their benefits, MPA was my fav. That said, I am a sucker for the look/feel of a Manners T4/T2 or McMillan A5

Reactions: MPrimo and Basher
Had a Manners and now have the AICS AT. Originally wasn't that impressed by the AT (due to ergos on rear) but after installing a target adjustable buttplate I no longer have that issue.

I’m a manners/McMillian looks and feel guy. Perhaps just because it’s what I’m used to. Recently got an mpa lite chassis and trying to get used to it

I’ve been behind and owned most. I am currently running an MDT ESS chassis. So far, it is the most comfortable chassis that I have ever used. It’s a bit on the heavy side, but not terribly so. I am really wanting to go the LSS-XL Gen2, but can’t quite let go of the ESS just yet.

Others that I have owned...
MPA BA Lite
XLR Element
KRG 180 Alpha
Manners MCS-T, TA, T3, T4, 4A
McMillian A3, A5

Mcmillan or Manners first, KRG Bravo second, then any chassis

J Allen #1, Manners T4A #2 (or equivalent McMillan), KRG W3 #3.

I prefer traditional style stocks. The JAE is just insanely comfortable to me with that feel of a traditional stock. I want to like the MPA and the versatility of it, however I just can't get comfortable to the chassis. Its well made, insanely intuitive and improvements are constantly being made... makes it hard not to like. KRG is a great stock with awesome ergo's. I think of all stocks or chassis the KRG has hand position figured out with the thumb shelf. MPA's is good, but I actually prefer the KRG for shooting hand position.

My favorite to shoot is my AICS but it’s one heavy chassis. Heavy chassis are great until you have to shoot offhand ... then they suck. My other rifle has a T4 mini chassis and is much easier to maneuver. Thinking someday I’d like to try a Manners folder but they’re pretty pricey. Have a T4A carbon elite on my Stiller .22 and love it. Wish I could shave a couple pounds off my AICS. That’d be perfect.

Manners obviously felt more traditional which is a little nice but edges were a uncomfortable to me on the cheek weld. Remington racs was nice when i used to be issued the m2010, has alot of adjustment options and but even though its an aluminum chassis felt front heavy with the 24 barrel and suppressor especially if you added a peq or any other accessory on the handguard. My mpa feels like the right balance its the 2nd versio.n of the chassis so has all the adjustable lop and cheek riser. The rifle never felt unbalanced to me even while suppressed. Even the older versions of the mpa have alot of accessory option but the new ones are even better. In all id lean toward an aluminum chassis for added weight, balance, precision tolerances, felt recoil reduction, and accessory options but thats what id look for if i had to buy a new stock/chassis.

I've been running a factory AT, then a factory AX for the past couple of years. I've grown to embrace the quirks and really enjoy the fit, finish, ergos, and adjustability of the AX.

I recently picked up an MPA BA Comp chassis, and honestly, I don't like it as much as the AX even though it's much better suited for barricade and positional work. The one thing that REALLY bugs me that I've never seen anyone mention, is the MPA chassis doesn't have an undercut on the grip and trigger guard, which sucks. On every other chassis there is an undercut, so with the MPA I can't get my firing hand up high enough to pull straight back on the trigger, so I end up having my finger angled up slightly which just feels weird.

I'm not going to vote in the poll so as to not influence the results with my limited experience. Of the options listed, I have spent time on an AT chassis and a McMillan A5; between them, I prefer the AT.

MDT's LSS-XL Gen2 chassis. Worked with a few and shot a few others. For my personal build the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 is spot on. For me.

VooDoo

Really wanted for a long time to be a Manners/McMillan guy. Shot my HS, improved and changed and worked my skills. Shot other folks guns with such stocks. Fondled a couple dozen of them in the back room at GA Precision. So! Pretty!

And then I got my hands on a chassis. Now, do I have less experience shooting them, ended up with an XLR Evolution for reasons (not just cost!) but ergonomics seem not that different between the several, and very easy to change, especially if you go with AR receiver extension as the butt core. (Since I got it, I somewhat regret not going MDT after all as some accessories might have been easier to integrate, but it's not a huge difference I think)

Switching to it has been amazing. Could not be happier shooting a chassis, in a bunch of ways. Weight, recoiling perfectly inline, adjustability, modularity even: I have some stuff on here now like a hand stops, but no need to drill or glue to get it on. Bolt anywhere, try it, change your mind, no problem.

Reactions: Jeffd
J Allen stocks for me.

I want to try one of these, but after buying an AIAT, I can't justify any other purchases like that for awhile, especially since I have a few (hunting) rifles without glass still, and would like to upgrade some of the glass I do have. Guess I'll add it to my growing list of things to try down the road! :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm shooting a JAE right now, which I will reserve final judgment on until I've had some more time with it. So far it seems really nice.

Most of my other rifles are Whiskey 3's with overmolded cheek riser and large grips. Love the W3. I've shot a fair amount of chassis and stocks, the W3 just has everything I like. But they need to just throw away those stock cheek risers. The W3 should come standard with the overmolded version.

I don't understand the chassis craze at all. Manners T2/T4/T6/EH1 etc. or McMillan A5 all the way. I've tried KRG, AI, and handled several others and the chassis mostly all feel really unnatural, especially for any sort of unsupported shooting. I especially dislike anything that uses AR grips and stocks. Just doesn't do it for me, and I shoot AR's all the time.

I currently have 2 Manners T6A stocks and a MPA competition chassis. In the past, I have also owned a Manners T4 and a XLR element. My personal preference is the MPA competition chassis.

I have a KMW Sentinel I love as well (voted for Manners), but as quick/frequent as we work the bolt in a match, it's a tad slower since I actually wrap my thumb instead of hanging off the side. It's awesome for spending time behind the glass and is super comfortable. If I was an actual sniper where I spent all day on the gun and maybe break the trigger, KMW all the way for me. I'm not a chassis guy. I won a XLR in a match and just couldn't get used to it.

Cadex. Very comfortable, I like the quick adjust butt pad for rapid changes from prone to positional stuff.

own AICS,Cadex, KRG, McMillian A5

Mcm is my go.. my most comfortable stock

Had an A3, just got in an Xray for a CZ 455. I actually like the Xray better. I attribute it to having a shorter LOP that fits at about 12.5-12.75” as opposed to 13.5 that a standard A3 has. Plus the thumb shelf of the Xray is more repeatable and just a bit more natural to me.

Love my manners TA, everything about it.
I have an xray as well that Im not sure if I like or not, I bought a wiebad cheek piece cover to see if that makes the plastic filled with holes (punishing like that spoon as a kid) at least slightly more comfortable but I dont really like how narrow the butt of it is regardless, having to use that little black piece to make up height is annoying as is having to pay 40 bucks to extend it with their bag rider. Verdict is still out I guess...

Got MPA BA, MPA CZ455, Cadex Lite Competition, XLR Envy Pro and had KRB Bravo.

There are PROs and CONs to each.

My vote is for DTA SRS A1.
Ive never shot using a Manners so I’m not sure how they feel. I want one though.
But for my torso and arms, the SRS A1 feels perfect.

Damnit...I just voted on a necro-thread...

...Now I feel like an asshole.

This is what happens when you burn all of your energy straining after too much venison chili.

Edited because I timed out wiping.

Hahahah, i had to Google necro-thread!
No idea what it was....

Not on your list but the Cadex Strike Nuke is awesome. Extremely comfortable and well made and I like that it feels more like a stock.

Not on your list but the Cadex Strike Nuke is awesome. Extremely comfortable and well made and I like that it feels more like a stock.

I got the cadex Lite Competition, it's great. Wish they made it LH.

Now Playingng with ambi XLR Envy PRO for my next LH build....so far it's okay (i think then rear end is it's weakest point) but With the added weights up front, it's perfectly balanced.

For PRS type shooting, the Manners TCS is my favorite stock. For a more hunting type stock, I've got a Manners T2AGAP that would also work well (except for the red, white, & blue Americana finish!)

I'm thinking that one of these days I might have to try the ARC Xylo, it looks really interesting.

For PRS type shooting, the Manners TCS is my favorite stock. For a more hunting type stock, I've got a Manners T2AGAP that would also work well (except for the red, white, & blue Americana finish!)

I'm thinking that one of these days I might have to try the ARC Xylo, it looks really interesting.

Never handled a Manners or McMillan...wish I could. Kind of got into the chassis world from the get go. Been eyeing their new PRS-TCS and it's looking damn good. Kind of hard to justify ordering and waiting for a stock LH BA V22 unicorn and possibly not liking it at the end

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20201214-114021_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201214-114021_Chrome.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 61
Update: Still enjoy my XLR Elements/Evos but have switched to MDT ACC for my competition chassis. The extended forend and arca have proven useful and allow positions that I couldn't get into otherwise. Again YMMV.