• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poll Question, Mag fit on a precision rifle?

Hooper

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2005
Central AL
Over time some may notice that detachable mags, whether they be AICS or an autoloader, tend to bulge out and may not drop free if left loaded and/or abused.

New mags tend to fit loose in some of the more common systems and rattle like a school bus on Friday @ 1500 hrs. However loose will also take debris and krylon and still drop free when seconds count.

So as a shooter, competitor, or combat veteran, which do you deem more important on a long range precision Rifle? Drop free no matter the mag/conditions, or tighter fit with less rattle or tolerance for debris?

Thank you

Re: Poll Question, Mag fit on a precision rifle?

This type of magazine is far different from say the mags for an M4. I think that we are talking about two different applications here. For an M4, quick reload is essential so push a button, it better drops quickly to insert new one. For precision rifle, that is not so much needed. For the field operators, I think if you have to reload your magazine in real condition, then you are having a bad day already. JMO.

My thoughts exactly on the M4. Thanks for the input.

I actually prefer middle of the road on this one with less rattles.

At our first Northeast Tactical shooters' meetup, DogboneS showed us a great, simple solution to rattle - affix a strip of the soft side of velcro to one wall of the inner mag well - provides just enough pressure to reduce the rattle without marring up any surfaces.

I personally like an easy drop, but this is a good solution for rattle.

Thanks for the input guys.

I don't give a damn if it rattles, if it feeds/functions and goes in/out when I need it to then I'm happy, but helping it out when it's really dirty isn't the end of my world either.

I'd say I'm a mix between 1 and 2.

Part of a post from another active thread in the Equipment section.

"designed the stocks and the DBM mag well with a long Z-axis. This was not to facilitate mag changes although it does that very well, but rather to get as much vertical support as possible to the magazine without having to get too tight a fit on the magazine to DBM and give some protection to the standard 5rd AICS magazine when in position.

I had already found that DBMs with short Z-axis mag support either have tight fit between the mag and mag well or it will have a lot of rattle with the mag in place. I didn't want to have either and I thought the best way to accomodate AICS type mags was to offer a medium clearance and lots of control surface to position the magazine. "

I think you can get a pretty good compromise on both issues.

We have not seen any of the AICS mags stretch but have had the AW mags expand. You can take a loaded AW mag and roll the cartidges around by squeezing in the sides with just your fingers. We've also seen AW mags lose rounds if dropped. Never seen any of this with the AICS mags. I really think they are the better mag of the two.