• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poll Which Press to Buy

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I am having a tough time choosing a press. I need help. Which one should I buy. I didnt know how to post a poll. I will be purchasing it around the end of the month. Also, I am loading 6.8 spc and I am having a hard time finding shell plates for the 6.8. I have loaded with a rock chucker in the past. I plan on loading 38, 357 sig, 6.8, 308, and 223. I will probably load 1000 rds every 2 weeks or so.

Dillon 550
Dillon 650
Hornady Lock N Load AP
Lee Load Master

Thanks

Re: Poll Which Press to Buy

You should tell us how much you're planning on shooting/reloading per month, and what for - plinking, competition, hunting.....

RCBS Rockchucker or Lyman Crusher, single stage press is your best bet if you are new to reloading..easier to set up, more control over each step of the process. You can use 10mm shellplates for the 6.8 SPC but I'm not familiar with plates for the progressives, they may be different.

Not knowing more about what you're loading makes it kinda difficult but out of the options you listed the Dillon's get my vote.

Yep not enough info to make an informed decision. I would get a RCBS Rockcrusher if you are only shooting the 6.8.

Unless you need the auto indexing, I would go with the 550b, as it does everything the others do and still spits out .45s for me at the rate of 250 per hour. I could get faster with auto indexing and case feeding, but I din't think it was worth the extra $$$.

I still use my RCBS Rockcrusher for my rifle ammo, and will until I start loading for my 338 or 375/408, at which time I'll move to my Redding Ultramag single stage.

JeffVN

I'd go with the LNL. Be sure and get the casefeeder. Between the casefeeder and the autoindexing, my LNL is twice as fast as my 550.

I've got a Dillon 450 that I can sell set up for either .308 or .223 for $375 + actual shipping..... Everything you need except the dies and primers & powder... might be able to throw in a die set depending on caliber...

When I got my LnL I got 1000 free bullets. I am not sure if they are still doing the promotion or not but that made my mind up real quick. And it was not just the cheap bullets either, they let you pick the good stuff.

There is nothing the 550 has that the 650 does not, but the 650 has options and features that the 550 can never have (like auto indexing, powder check die station, and auto case feeder for rifle cartridges). The 650 is also a safer press because of the auto indexing feature and the powder check die station (less chance of squibs and double charged cases.

As for the Dillon vs. Hornady.....Dillons customer service, lifetime no bullshit warranty and free tune-ups is enough for me to spend a few $$$ more and drink the blue koolaid.

Buy once, cry once! Get the 650 and get it over with.

The first time you deal with Dillon you will be glad you bought their press...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for the Dillon vs. Hornady.....Dillons customer service, lifetime no bullshit warranty and free tune-ups is enough for me to spend a few $$$ more and drink the blue koolaid.

Buy once, cry once! Get the 650 and get it over with.</div></div>

I have The Hornady Lock-N-Load AP and both Dillon presses! The Hornady is just as good as the Dillon and with 1000 free bullets with the press you pretty much end up getting the press for $150.

Hornady GET LOADED Promo (1000 free Bullets)

You can't go wrong with either the Hornady or the Dillon product!

Terry

+1 for Dillon customer service.

Who voted for Lee/ Was that a joke?

James

Lyman
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have The Hornady Lock-N-Load AP and both Dillon presses! The Hornady is just as good as the Dillon and with 1000 free bullets with the press you pretty much end up getting the press for $150.

Hornady GET LOADED Promo (1000 free Bullets)

You can't go wrong with either the Hornady or the Dillon product!

Terry </div></div>

The bullet choices are kinda lame.Why not just let you get $300 of what ever you want? After hearing about the run out issues Kymboyachi has had I'll stick with my Dillon for now.For me the 550 is the most flexable especially when loading precision rifle ammo, I prefer not to have auto indexing. For the pistol and plinking stuff it is certainly quicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who voted for Lee/ Was that a joke?</div></div>

Not a very funny one.

Any of the other three will serve you well.

I have dillan rl 550 b great press I was very impressed with quality and ease of use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing the 550 has that the 650 does not, but the 650 has options and features that the 550 can never have (like auto indexing, powder check die station, and auto case feeder for rifle cartridges). The 650 is also a safer press because of the auto indexing feature and the powder check die station (less chance of squibs and double charged cases.

</div></div>

I bought the 550 for rifle because it does not auto index. I like having complete control. Now, for .45, you couldn't pry my 650 out of my hands. I do wish Dillon could get the 550 case feed to work with rifle cases, though.

3 or 4 years ago I would of said to go blue. But hornady has listen to the needs of customers and my money is with them. The L&L is cheaper and with the 1k free bullets you can't go wrong.

I'd go Dillon all the way. I to like the 550 because it does NOT auto-index, and sometimes I use it like a single stage press. If I had to pick only one press to do everything, it would be the 550 for sure. If I did pistol comp. all the time, then it would be the 650. What Dillon should do is have a way to turn the auto index feature on and off on the 650, that would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go Dillon all the way. I to like the 550 because it does NOT auto-index, and sometimes I use it like a single stage press. If I had to pick only one press to do everything, it would be the 550 for sure. If I did pistol comp. all the time, then it would be the 650. What Dillon should do is have a way to turn the auto index feature on and off on the 650, that would be nice. </div></div>

You do realize that by taking out 2 small screws the 650 will not auto index right? you can use the 650 just like the 550 by removing the auto index piece (like i said, 2 small screws, and easy to put back on also)

but you can never get your 550 to auto index, ever! You can also never use a auto case feeder on your 550 for rifle cartridges.

XL650 is the way to go.