• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polymer 80 Handgun

keltec90

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2021
Florida
Has anyone built Polymer 80 handgun before? I've been interested in buying the P80 Glock for past few weeks. According to online sources and some credible YouTube creators. They are reliable and can be as good as Glock if not better. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've got two on my bench right now from Lone Wolf.

One has about 250rds (9mm) through it, the other has about 400rds (.357)

Functionally they are fine, but there is just something off in terms of how they feel from a confidence stand-point. I would never rely on one as my edc.

The finish obviously is not the same as the "real" thing, but nothing that couldnt be cleaned up with patience and a dremel.

That said, for playing around, as a back up range gun, something to toss in a go-bag, etc., they will get the job done and they can be a fun project.

Get a Glock, it doesn’t feel as good in the hand as it’s been sold to be; At least for me anyway. Not as reliable either. Mine makes scratching noises if I rack the slide slowly so it won’t be categorized as smooth in any sense.

all in all, just buy Glock 45 that’s 9mm and live a happy life.

I have one, used all top shelf stuff and with a attention to detail as the end user, as a 1911/2011 guy it feels much better in my hand and points more naturally for me, fit and finish is what you make it, personally my friends 19X feels cheap and poorly build in comparison to my 80, also has all the stuff you’d pay to have done to a cheap Glock like the under cut, “accelerator” cut, stippling, has a legit rail, and so on.

Also there is the whole safety and patriotic aspect of building a 80.

Overall I have nothing but good things to say. I have enough rounds through it I would have no issue carrying it, however weather and clothes wise it’s a little too big for my mission.

People are buying up Glocks and selling the frames on GB and the uppers and part kits to the 80% crowd and making a profit.

It will likely cost you more to do an 80% kit than getting a complete Glock, building from a Glock frame on GB or buying used.

I just got a G3 Glock 19 Complete lower for $135 to dedicate to a 22lr upper I have. What does a 80% frame and lower parts kit cost?

I have a PF940SC that's had close to 1000rds through it. I used all my factory Glock parts off a Gen 3 G26, and it's been dead nuts reliable.

Reactions: gigamortis
just fyi if you're doing it more for the grip angle and texture vs avoiding a background check (let's face it, if you already own a gun the gov knows you have guns...), you can buy the p80's in finished form, with a serial # and requiring a background check. brownells and perhaps others have their special 'aggressive grip' options.

just fyi if you're doing it more for the grip angle and texture vs avoiding a background check (let's face it, if you already own a gun the gov knows you have guns...), you can buy the p80's in finished form, with a serial # and requiring a background check. brownells and perhaps others have their special 'aggressive grip' options.

It’s not about the background check, it about the registry (4473s ARE a registry)

Also the “they already know” that’s like saying if you’re cooking and get a grease fire, might as well toss the flaming grease on the curtains, I mean since you already have a fire 🙃

People are buying up Glocks and selling the frames on GB and the uppers and part kits to the 80% crowd and making a profit.

It will likely cost you more to do an 80% kit than getting a complete Glock, building from a Glock frame on GB or buying used.

I just got a G3 Glock 19 Complete lower for $135 to dedicate to a 22lr upper I have. What does a 80% frame and lower parts kit cost?

80s (any of them) and NOT about saving money, it’s about knowing every inch of your weapon and building it exactly as you want it.

Last edited:
It’s not about the background check, it about the registry (4473s ARE a registry)

Also the “they already know” that’s like saying if you’re cooking and get a grease fire, might as well toss the flaming grease on the curtains, I mean since you already have a fire 🙃

80s (any of them) and NOT about saving money, it’s about knowing every inch of your weapon and building it exactly as you want it.
yeah while i didn't say that specifically, some go the 80% way to avoid the check/registry.

your analogy is silly, perhaps that's why you have that :)

def not about saving money, you can easily spend more. but you can mod a stock glock just as easy and perhaps cheaper.

yeah while i didn't say that specifically, some go the 80% way to avoid the check/registry.

your analogy is silly, perhaps that's why you have that :)

def not about saving money, you can easily spend more. but you can mod a stock glock just as easy and perhaps cheaper.

Honestly why would I mod a Glock when I can guy a frame already designed that way?

And my analogy is spot on, if you think the enemy might have your some intel on you, do you just stop with all opsec and comsec, wear blaze orange, and stop all effort to conceal yourself? Of course not.

I have never heard of someone who was like “damn I wish I would have given a government more info on myself. But you probably have much more faith in the state than I do.

I've got a couple done and one still in the box. The general consensus is to use factory glock small parts and whatever slide makes you happy.

I find them more comfortable than the stock glocks. A little polishing and good fitting while building and they run great.

The second one was done with a drill, a razor knife, and assembled with a butter knife. Pretty idiot proof.

20200831_082348.jpg
20190506_175858.jpg

I've been looking around and found steel fox firearms has about 5-6 different options of complete p80 build kits. Most of the websites I came across offer just separate parts. Has anyone heard from steel fox firearms? Are they good company offering quality products? Still doing some research.

I've been looking around and found steel fox firearms has about 5-6 different options of complete p80 build kits. Most of the websites I came across offer just separate parts. Has anyone heard from steel fox firearms? Are they good company offering quality products? Still doing some research.

I’d avoid the bundle type kits, apparently they get the atf all froggy

They are also going after customers. Had ATF at my house approximately 1pm yesterday telling me I need to surrender my P80 or he would return to raid my house with a warrant. Enclosed is my surrender sheet for proof. If anyone purchased a “Buy, Build, Shoot” kit from them they will probably be hearing from the ATF as well.”

I’d avoid the bundle type kits, apparently they get the atf all froggy

They are also going after customers. Had ATF at my house approximately 1pm yesterday telling me I need to surrender my P80 or he would return to raid my house with a warrant. Enclosed is my surrender sheet for proof. If anyone purchased a “Buy, Build, Shoot” kit from them they will probably be hearing from the ATF as well.”
I totally understand where you coming from, sharing that info but it is not illegal to build your own firearm. Never has been. Especially in the states that have firearm friendly laws. I did notice multiple companies that were selling the build shoot kits who took down their listings and separated the parts after the Polymer 80 raid went down.

In correspondence to the article you shared, I will paste a good respond from the comments:

"Since you still cant "construct" ANYTHING WITHOUT COMPLETING the other 20% of the "FRAME" ! There is still NO "possession" of a frame with the kit! No matter how you slice and dice this, dropping parts into a box next to a 80% frame, does not magically manufacture the other 20% of that frame. Therefore, no constructive possession!"

I totally understand where you coming from, sharing that info but it is not illegal to build your own firearm. Never has been. Especially in the states that have firearm friendly laws. I did notice multiple companies that were selling the build shoot kits who took down their listings and separated the parts after the Polymer 80 raid went down.

In correspondence to the article you shared, I will paste a good respond from the comments:

"Since you still cant "construct" ANYTHING WITHOUT COMPLETING the other 20% of the "FRAME" ! There is still NO "possession" of a frame with the kit! No matter how you slice and dice this, dropping parts into a box next to a 80% frame, does not magically manufacture the other 20% of that frame. Therefore, no constructive possession!"

I agree, but when you have aggressive armed federal employees who enjoy qualified immunity, full support of the current regime, and even local jury support based on the BS folks buy from the media, and even fudds who “support gun rights, but...” best to be a smaller dot on the radar.

Plus one of the fun parts of building a 80 is you can fully tailor it to what you want, from the extended take down lever, to the trigger, sights, and so on. Buying a full kit just doesn’t make that much sense on these guys, ALSO keep in mind many of these companies will not delete customer records (such as lone wolf), so they have their own registry of sorts.

Sorry for the slightly-necro-post. I haven't been on the Hide in a while, since ammo prices have pretty much shut down my precision rifle shooting for the time being. I just can't stomach paying that much for 6.5 Creedmoor right now. :) Actually the same goes for most calibers.

During the covid mania, I got into P80 building. I started my first build last July (2021). It came out really nice. I spared no expense and built a "Gucci" G34 clone.
20211203_225131.jpg

It has been utterly reliable with not a single malfunction in 1,490 rounds fired. But, I spent WAY more than the "30 minutes" being claimed by the President, other politicians, and anti-gun media. I spent 30 - 40 HOURS on it.

I've got a couple of other builds in various stages of progress. But, when the Marine Gun Builder forum (inexplicably) shut down, I decided to build a new forum focused on Gun Building. That has kept me busy and away from the build bench, but just today I worked a little on some projects.

My 2nd build is almost done. A G19 clone. It's a little more Plain Jane than the first.
20211210_110556[1].jpg

Third build (a G17) mock-up:
20220207_212400[1].jpg

If anyone is interested in checking out the new builders' forum, you can find it here:

It's growing quickly, and we have a great group (with many former Marine Gun Builder members and experts).

Well if you are going to necro post, make sure you necro post a Data Mining Glowie who is tricking idiots to tell them they own/built P80 kits so they can be traced one day.

These idiots don't even stop to look at who is asking these obviously dumb questions. 4 posts on Snipershide, all in this thread. I am sure he joined "snipershide" to only talk about homebuilt pistols. Absolutely not fed LE or a contractor mining data for some such agency. No chance at all...

keltec90

Minuteman

Private · From Florida

Joined Aug 30, 2021

Last seen Sep 9, 2021

Messages 4 Featured content 0 Reaction score 1

I am sure he is Florida too.............

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I’m on the cutting edge of the new 80% fad- 80% flesh lights- just gotta drill the hole yourself and add lube!

• Haha
Reactions: darkfader
Well if you are going to necro post, make sure you necro post a Data Mining Glowie who is tricking idiots to tell them they own/built P80 kits so they can be traced one day.

These idiots don't even stop to look at who is asking these obviously dumb questions. 4 posts on Snipershide, all in this thread. I am sure he joined "snipershide" to only talk about homebuilt pistols. Absolutely not fed LE or a contractor mining data for some such agency. No chance at all...

keltec90

Minuteman

Private · From Florida

Joined Aug 30, 2021

Last seen Sep 9, 2021

Messages 4 Featured content 0 Reaction score 1

I am sure he is Florida too.............

Alrighty then! LOL! Hey wait a sec. You've only been here a few months. How do we know you're not a plant? :p
iu

• Haha
Reactions: southernpew
Alrighty then! LOL! Hey wait a sec. You've only been here a few months. How do we know you're not a plant? :p
iu
Do you honestly think someone joined this specific site and was here for less than a week just to ask about home built pistols. A site dedicated to precision rifles? No posts other than this thread. Not only to ask about them but to ask who has built them. There are dozens of pistol or general gun related forums, but this is the one they decided to post in in. Then after a week, never log in again.

Do you honestly think someone joined this specific site and was here for less than a week just to ask about home built pistols. A site dedicated to precision rifles? No posts other than this thread. Not only to ask about them but to ask who has built them. There are dozens of pistol or general gun related forums, but this is the one they decided to post in in. Then after a week, never log in again.
Welp! I took your concerns to heart and decided to move my guns to refuge on my private island. And then this happened. Now they really ARE "ghost guns!"
boating accident.jpg

True story!

• Haha
I am sure he joined "snipershide" to only talk about homebuilt pistols. Absolutely not fed LE or a contractor mining data for some such agency. No chance at all...

LOL! It occurred to me that a spook looking to "mine data" on home building would have to be pretty stupid to spend time on a forum clearly NOT dedicated to that discipline of the firearms hobby. There are probably but a relative handful of "PMF" (privately made firearms) builders here on the Hide.

Wouldn't he / she be better off lurking and "asking stupid questions" on a forum dedicated to home built firearms? You know... a forum where ALL the members are builders? I happen to know of at least one! ;):cool::poop::LOL:

If you seen the solicitations for online data mining and collection on social media (Hint, this is social media) that have been put out to do this exact stuff on the behalf of 3 letter agencies, you might think the same way. No one ever said they were smart or efficient. In fact, the more inefficient they are, the more money they make.

Quick question. Living in a state that will be making the 80% firearm illegal unless it's serialized, what are the ramifications of having the 80% kit without any machine work being done to it? Since it's not a completed frame, isn't it just a piece of plastic?

Would it be legal to own the kit as sold, as long as no machining is done to the part?

Quick question. Living in a state that will be making the 80% firearm illegal unless it's serialized, what are the ramifications of having the 80% kit without any machine work being done to it? Since it's not a completed frame, isn't it just a piece of plastic?

Would it be legal to own the kit as sold, as long as no machining is done to the part?
Replace ‘80% pistol’ with ‘80% suppressor’ and the answer appears to be ‘no, not even a little bit legal…’

• Haha

Honestly, no idea how it works in those states. Fortunately, I'm not living in one.

And unfortunately, the new ATF rule actually muddied the waters by UN-defining what constitutes a firearm.

You're free to read the 364 page document that undefines firearms. Consider this....

The genius Founders were able to write The Constitution, a document that is the Operator's Manual for our entire country, in just 4,543 words.

The new ATF rule JUST defining what a gun receiver is... sort of but not really: 106,905 words. 364 pages!

So, it took our current "leaders" 2,253% MORE WORDS than the entire Constitution to UN-define what a ****ing gun is.

• Wow
Reactions: BullGear
It's gotten to where you can't tell the spammers from the spam bots or the AI from the ATF.

bd09df4f-2399-4f84-bfc1-a9c277642523_text.gif

Why yes, yes they are. Untraceable ghost guns are all the craze these days. All the cool kids are building them.
Cool or not... I'll take being referred to as a "kid!" But I think this build is definitely cool!

The-Tank-2.gif

I built one. It worked fine and shot at least as good as a regular Glock 19, but since it didn't fit into any of my Glock holsters I never used it for anything. I wasn't interested in it enough to buy more holsters. I eventually parted out everything but the frame, and the frame is gathering dust in my junk pile.

I built one. It worked fine and shot at least as good as a regular Glock 19, but since it didn't fit into any of my Glock holsters I never used it for anything. I wasn't interested in it enough to buy more holsters. I eventually parted out everything but the frame, and the frame is gathering dust in my junk pile.
All but one of mine are range toys. I built one serialized P80 for EDC. Plenty of holsters for P80s on the market. I've settled on this one from Blade-Tech.
Blade-Tech-holster-EDC.jpg
20221007_090129[1].jpg