• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polymer Lowers

CSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Central, AL
Anyone tested one out yet?
Thinking about getting one to put my Tacsol LW 22lr upper on.

Any info is appreciated.

Re: Polymer Lowers

my buddy got a plum crazy one gor free used and abused it for 500 rounds never had a problem and nought aniuther same model and it busted by the buffer threads.

Being new to the AR scene I guess my question is what's the point with poly lowers? Isn't aluminum good and light enough?

L

Main reason is $50 compared to $150.
As I said, looking at one for a 22lr, not something I would be relying on.

I'm finding lowers in the $80-$90 range. But for a 22lr yeah i can see that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being new to the AR scene I guess my question is what's the point with poly lowers? Isn't aluminum good and light enough?

L </div></div>

I agree, just bought two for 90 each.

The real benefit to plastic receivers is weight, especially on models like the Bushmaster Carbon series where both the upper and lower are plastic.

It's a hell of a lot more enjoyable for a 5' 95 lbs person to run-n-gun with a 4 lb AR15 than an 8 lb one.

It makes the rifle feel much easier to use/swing/hold one handed during reloads/etc, and there's no real recoil on an .223/5.56 AR anyway.

I have a plum crazy on a 6x45 for shooting jack rabbits. I have only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but have had no problems. I am never going to depend on it any more than a jack rabbit, and maybe on day deer, so if it were to break I would not be out to much money, and not worried about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The real benefit to plastic receivers is weight, especially on models like the Bushmaster Carbon series where both the upper and lower are plastic.

It's a hell of a lot more enjoyable for a 5' 95 lbs person to run-n-gun with a 4 lb AR15 than an 8 lb one.

It makes the rifle feel much easier to use/swing/hold one handed during reloads/etc, and there's no real recoil on an .223/5.56 AR anyway.
</div></div>

Thanks, hadn't thought it out along those lines.

There have been good reports on New Frontier's LW15 polymer lowers...and they're available lots of places on the interwebs.

JoeBobOutfitters has stripped lowers for $45, complete lowers for $110, and complete with A2 stock for $130. Use the discount code 'slickguns' and get 5% off.

I put a 10.5" upper on a NFA poly pistol lower and it balances quite well, even with a single hand. No perceived recoil with the 22lr. Weight savings doesn't seem like much on paper, but when it's all put together, it's a noticeable difference.

Why would you pay $40-45 for a polymer lower when you can get blemished forged ones from PSA for $60?

Quick internet search shows no PSA blem lowers in stock. Also - the next step after a stripped lower is to install the LPK; JBO offers poly lowers with LPK installed for $72. A PSA blam lower for $60 would still require a LPK for $58 or better, so you're still looking at a cost savings of $46(if you can find a lower for $60), not to mention the weight as well.

I've put a few hundred rounds on my LW-15 polymer lower:

It was plug and play (already complete with buffer and stock).

It has zero slop when mated to a Mega Monolithic upper or an Aero Precision upper.

The trigger is sufficient for range use, some creep but at least it is lighter (5 - 6lbs) than most stock triggers and consistent on break point.

Im happy with it, if I want a fancy trigger the LW-15 gives you the option to drop one in.

BB

The problem with the Plum crazy lowers is exactly what was stated above, the weakness at the buffer tube area. I Still prefer the MK I and MK II Cavalry Arms lowers....but I am extremely biased to the design. The mold and manufacturing equipment were sold to: http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii.html who is now producing them. I do not know what dealers are carrying them......and I have not dealt with this company.

But how do they hold up.....I had a post dealer sample one with about 40K rounds through it. I even ran it Full Auto with a Beowulf upper on it. People thought they were cheap plastic, so I parked my truck on a lower and took pictures the picked it up and shot it. Something to remember on the price, you do not have to buy a pistol grip, buffer tube or stock. The stock is A1 length.....I have quite a few of the Cav Arms ones still, and a couple eagle arms versions. One of my KISS bug out rifles is a Cav Arms MKII lower, old Colt 602 upper (think that is the variation, not deflector or forward assist, A1 carry handle), with a Colt 20" pencil barrel on it....it weighs a little over 5lbs empty. perfect for the wife.

A good friend of mine bought a new frontier complete pistol lower. I was over at his house when he received his 10.5" upper for it. We slapped in on and the receiver above the buffer tube was so out of spec it wouldn't allow the charging handle to come back more than 1/4 of the way. It was a complete waste of money. It also felt like the pins were going to break.

I wouldn't buy one but thats just me.