• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polymer tip in lr-308's?

wdhigh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
Summerville, SC
I have been shooting 180gr core lockts out of my bushmaster 308. Not happy with how they perform on deer and was considering dropping down to 150-165gr something or another and came across the hornady sst. I have had a few people tell me that polymer tip bullets get chewed up in ar15/lr308 platforms. Seems odd to me but had enough people bring it up that I wanted to check here to see if these guys are full of shit. Guess the trouble with hunting is the bullets get chambered and then unloaded many times between actual kills.

Thanks in advance for any help to confirm or dispell this.

Re: Polymer tip in lr-308's?

i shoot them in ar-15s no issues and great accuracy and terminal performance.
Havent tried them in my MWS in .308, but I cant imagine any issues
The .30 cal 150 gr ammo does Much better on deer in my experience

Either way I would not chamber the same round an excessive number of times

I worked up a load useing 150GMX for my hunting load,It worked so well at 550 yards that I will be ordering some 150-SST for steel banging In my MEGA-10 noveske Barreled weapon,They may deform some,But I have not had an issue out to 600 yards,Good Results on steel,testing hunting loads The GMX are Pricy.

I would post picks on the 600 yard results,But Someone Hacked my Photo acount
mad.gif
Agent man?

I drive 178 Amax's out of my AR-10 with no performance issues out to 1100 yards (work good on deer too). Any round that is chambered and rechambered multiple times from a magazine in any firearm will invariably get bullet tip deformation. Nature of the beast. IMHO, chamber it 3 times and toss it in the "go to range" box.

Cheers,

Doc

my DPMS runs this very well,

Fed brass
CCI LR
Varget 43.3
168 A-Max
loaded mag length

found a much better load with this than the 175SMK.
T

I don't have any problems with polymer tipped bullets, however my soft points in a magazine look like semi wad cutters after a couple shots.

Recoil can flatten the polymer tips while in the magazine.
It's not that bad, and they shoot fine.
I've extracted many live rounds, and the tips all looked good.

If you are re-chambering the same round over and over, do it slowly.
Kinetic effect will usually cause a lengthening of the OAL.
This could contact rifling and raise pressure, and hurt POI.

Ive never had a problem with A-Max and V-Max bullets in my AR-15s but I can say Ive seen a Les Baer large frame in 260 have trouble when an A-Max tip got stuck in the barrel extension and caused multiple jams. This was obviously the exception and not a common thing and has not deterred myself or the owner of the Les Baer from using tipped bullets.

I did have trouble with the .264" 123 amax in a large frame 260.
The tips seemed fragile, while the 120 and 140 amax all held up great.

I still like the open tip match bullet design for these rifles.