• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

polytech m14

Re: polytech m14

Do it now or give me the contact info and I'll snag it. Unless it looks like a complete POS I would snag it. About twice that is what can be expected for a price tag.

I normally wouldn't even consider buying a m14 but at $550 Im thinking an impulse buy is in order! Kinda shibby tho cuz Id be spending the money Ive been saving to buy a dif gun! :-(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it now or give me the contact info and I'll snag it. Unless it looks like a complete POS I would snag it. About twice that is what can be expected for a price tag. </div></div>

What he said. That's an amazing price. IIRC the receivers are forged so they are great base guns if you're thinking about a project gun.

IIRC also, there was some hooh-hah about their bolts being soft, so you might want to look in to that.

Regardless, the street value of those things are usually around $750 and above, so $550 is a pretty amazing find.

Yep...I'd jump all over it for $550 if it's in good shape.

If nothing else, you could re-sell or trade up to your desired rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordonquixote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If nothing else, you could re-sell or trade up to your desired rifle. </div></div>

That's kinda my line of thinking! Same seller has 1k 7.62 nato for $200. If I bought both for $750 what do you think a guy could off load the package for? $11-1200ish?

Careful, I believe buying a gun to sell is against the law, unless you're an FFL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stumbled across a polytech m14 for $550!

Would I be stupid if I did not jump on this for the price? </div></div>

No, you'd be fucking retarded.

Buy it and make a quick 2 or 300 on it. Or hell, if you shoot it a little bit, you might decide you like it enough to keep! There is definitely something about those M-14s. Either way you can't go wrong buying something for that much less than it's worth.

ALso there is nothing illegal about buying a gun to re-sell unless you are "in the business" of buying and selling firearms. That requires you to make a substantial amount of your income from that activity. And yes, I'm a lawyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KChen986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Careful, I believe buying a gun to sell is against the law, unless you're an FFL. </div></div>

My wife made me sell it! honestly! Guess next time Ill get permission before I buy a gun! lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KChen986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Careful, I believe buying a gun to sell is against the law, unless you're an FFL. </div></div>

My wife made me sell it! honestly! Guess next time Ill get permission before I buy a gun! lol. </div></div>

To clarify:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An isolated transaction, while not in itself a business, is, nevertheless, evidence to be considered in determining whether the seller is engaged in a business. Bush v. United States, 218 F.2d 223 (10th Cir. 1954); Supreme Malt Products Co. v. United States, 153 F.2d 5 (1st Cir. 1946). * * * the fact that the guns were sold in two separate installments to two different people, is ample evidence to support a finding that appellants were ‘engaged in the business of selling firearms' and were to that extent dealers under § 901(5).”
1 There appears to be little doubt that “dealer” means anyone who is engaged in any business of selling firearms, and that “business” is that which occupies time, attention and labor for the purpose of livelihood or profit. Stone v. District of Columbia, 91 U.S. App.D.C. 140, 198 F.2d 601, 603 (1952).
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. v. Gross 451 F.2d 1355 (7th Cir.</span> 19</span>71)</span>
</div></div>

I also read another case where profit motive was not dispositive of the illegal act of 'selling guns for the purpose of livelihood of profit.'

Other jurisdictions hold that it is okay to purchase one or two guns with the intent of selling it.

Test being:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a person is engaged in the business of dealing in firearms if he has guns on hand or is ready and able to procure them and sell them to such persons as might accept them as customers

United States v. Wilkening, 485 F.2d 234, 235 (8th Cir. 1973)</div></div>

In addition:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 USC 921(a)(22) The term "with the principal
objective of livelihood and profit"
<span style="font-weight: bold">means that the intent underlying the
sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood AND pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents,<span style="text-decoration: underline"> such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: </span></span>
Provided, That proof of profit shall not
be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for
criminal purposes or terrorism</div></div>

As you see above the "improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection" seems like an exception to the 'illegal dealer' provision.

Just be careful and don't do it too often.

The Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide clearly states that a “Dealer is defined as:

“(c) Dealer in firearms other than a gunsmith or a pawnbroker. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.”

I'm dissapointed you even had to ask. OF COURSE YOU BUY A POLY M14 AT ANYTHING LESS THAN $700.

And to the legal eagles, exhale, relax, and take a moment to calm down. Buying one gun with a mind towards resale doesn't make you an illegal dealer any more than buying a car with consideration towards resale makes you a curbstoner. And if you are buying guns with the intent to profit over and over, you'll get yours in time.

That is a good price for a Polytech as long as it is in decend shape. They are a much lower quality M1A than a Springfield, but have excellent receivers in them to work with. Fulton Armory does work on them to accurize and improve. It would be worthwhile getting them to work on it if you are interested in keeping it.

http://fulton-armory.com/