• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pondering my next caliber ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm thinking about my next bolt action rifle, and what caliber to select. I've met my wife's criteria for purchase because I've sold enough "stuff" to cover ~$4,000 in cost.

I already have solid distance rifles in 6.5-CM (great out to 1,200), 300-WM (hit several 1-mile shots with this), 300-PRC (still working towards a mile load), and 338-LM (just for fun). I've got reloading supplies out several years for all of these.

My 300-PRC is a barrel kit for my Barrett MRAD, and while I get generally good results, I'm still wrestling with consistency. I've been thinking about, and lusting after a Masterpiece Arms 300-PRC that's headed to my LGS, thinking that might be the way to go since my MPA 300-WM is amazingly accurate out to a mile (or more). But I'm also considering other calibers that can meet my objective of a stable bullet out to a mile or more that is (a) wind resistant, (b) (b) accurate, (c) obtainable, (d) works with powders I've already got a lot of (Retumbo, AA4350, MagPro and StaBall). Note: I use both Retumbo and MagPro for distance and they're both giving me solid results.

My question to the Bolt Action guys out there is ... Should I stick with 300-PRC in a more accurate and stable form-factor (like the MPA 300-PRC), or make my next rifle something totally new. The up-side of the MPA 300-PRC is that no new supplies or tools are needed. The down-side is ... well ... that's what I need help with. Is there a better caliber that's "guaranteed" (I know - I know - it's just a figure of speed) to be more accurate out to 1-mile?

Any advice?

What is making you think that another PRC will perform better than the Barrett PRC?

What is making you think that another PRC will perform better than the Barrett PRC?
    That's an excellent question ... I suppose the answer is that my MPA-300-WM shoots better than my MRAD 300-WM did (before I sold that barrel kit). I'm learning that the MRAD is an awesome quick-switch barrel solution, but is probably at least a little bit hampered by the variability induced by switching barrels. Same with the 6.5-CM barrel on my MRAD (which is "good") when I compare it to my 6.5-CM Tikka T3x TAC A1 (which is "great"). It's just a "feeling" I have based on my experiences that my dedicated distance bolt guns are just a little more accurate and repeatable than my MRAD ... but it could also be "me", and not "it".

Is there a better caliber that's "guaranteed" (I know - I know - it's just a figure of speed) to be more accurate out to 1-mile?
    Not .223, wrong tool for that.

Maybe .300 Norma for the mile goal? (save a few more pennies)

Maybe take the $4k+selling the Barrett & get this:

(I'm just making stuff up as I don't own long action guns)- don't take as real advice

That said, I still think .223 is a heckuva lot of fun on windy days and short ranges. Can stretch out on calm days. Practice your wind calculations in your head.

I don't see what you will gain with another 300PRC, you'd likely just end up using the one that shoots best and leave the other at home.

You already have 3 cartridges/rifles that are well suited for shooting to a mile, personally I'd just keep shooting them and like others have suggested get a 223/308 or something completely different (assuming you don't already have other rifles).

If you must have another mile cartridge you may as well go something different, up to 300 Norma or down to 7mmSAUM.
    If the MRAD 300prc is really not doing if for you, you may as well sell it unless you have a specific reason for it that justifes another PRC.

Reactions: spife7980
    300 Win Mag and 300 PRC are kind of redundant. You could sell the WM and add that to your new rifle pool, that will get you a hell of a rifle system. A new AI chambered in 300 Norma could get you started then add barrels in 338 Lapua AI and/or one of the Tubb XC cartridges could be added down the road to stretch to 2 miles

Reactions: VargmatII
    I am going to speak heresy and advise you against buying a new gun. My advice is:
    1. Get some training. A 300WM, 300PRC, or 338LM is perfectly capable of what you want. I suspect the weak link here is the shooter.
    2. Shoot more
    3. Consider your reloading process. Could your process benefit from better tools or components.

I am going to speak heresy and advise you against buying a new gun. My advice is:
    1. Get some training. A 300WM, 300PRC, or 338LM is perfectly capable of what you want. I suspect the weak link here is the shooter.
    2. Shoot more
    3. Consider your reloading process. Could your process benefit from better tools or components.
    The answer is probably "(4) All of the above". That said ... I just wanna buy a new rifle because ... well ... because I want to. The question I still need to answer is (a) similar, or (b) completely different. All good advice here, but the "Don't buy anything" advice is surprising me.

Build a custom rifle chambered in .300NMI.

Defiance/Surgeon action in a JAE chassis.

Boom, sick ELR rifle.

Wildcat...everyone serious about long range needs at least one wildcat. .338LM is much better as .338LM Improved with a >30" barrel

Actually ... I could spend half or less, and buy the 300-NM barrel kit for my MRAD. Not the dedicated caliber BA rifle I'd been thinking, but way cheaper and I'd only need the sizing and seating dies since I've already got everything else.

Hummm ...

Reactions: Dogtown
    Fu*k that, buy yourself a new gun. You can never have too many!

Actually ... I could spend half or less, and buy the 300-NM barrel kit for my MRAD. Not the dedicated caliber BA rifle I'd been thinking, but way cheaper and I'd only need the sizing and seating dies since I've already got everything else.

Hummm ...

Reactions: brianf
    Why stop at a 300nm. Why not 300NM improved?

I'll bite ... what's the difference?
    It's improved. It's in the name. Lol honestly unless you plan on having a fire form barrel and another barrel for actual shooting, probably not worth it for the extra ~100fps gain.

I've decided on a Masterpiece Arms 300 Norma Magnum rifle at my LGS ... going out later today to "pick and pay". I was able to get brass and dies (Mile High and Midway) last night, and I've got lots of bullets and other stuff for it ... so I'm good to go. Decided that the "shoot past a mile" nature of the 300-NM was something I wouldn't out-grow, and I'm a fan of the MPA form-factor having had such great results from my MPA 300-WM the past few years. Time for a new caliber and a new challenge ... thanks for all the advice and help making this decision.

Well sounds like you made your mind up. I was also going suggest a 223 as you already have so many 1 mile calibers. Might as well practice with a cheaper solution. If that was out I was going recommend a 300 Norma improved too for the benefits of less brass trimming, and slight advantage in velocity is there.

Was going recommend a Zeus action as you seem to like barrel changes and this makes it real easy

Well sounds like you made your mind up. I was also going suggest a 223 as you already have so many 1 mile calibers. Might as well practice with a cheaper solution. If that was out I was going recommend a 300 Norma improved too for the benefits of less brass trimming, and slight advantage in velocity is there.

Was going recommend a Zeus action as you seem to like barrel changes and this makes it real easy
    If I was going to get a bolt rifle ... it was going to be a MPA. I like them "that much". Skipped the "Improved" 300-NM ... just don't feel like I need that, since brass trimming is fast and easy for me (I have a Henderson Precision Powered Case Trimmer). Thanks for the recommendations. Oh, BTW, I have plenty of cheap "practice/plinking" rifles in 22, 223, and 300-BLK.

Got it ... it's beautiful ... 300-NM MPA Comp Chassis in Midnight Bronze with 27" barrel and factory-installed front and rear Weight Kit. Almost time to get started on load development with all the "stuff" to do that arriving over the next week or so. I love getting new toys ...

1649947575795.png

Congrats!

My number one goal at this point in life is new toys as well!

Got it ... it's beautiful ... 300-NM MPA Comp Chassis in Midnight Bronze with 27" barrel and factory-installed front and rear Weight Kit. Almost time to get started on load development with all the "stuff" to do that arriving over the next week or so. I love getting new toys ...

View attachment 7849503

Heading to the range later this week to take "first shots" and start load development. After these 22 shots (2 cold-bore, Retumbo Ladder, MagPro Ladder), I'll bring it home for a thorough break-in cleaning.

1651095226324.png