• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Pondering Optimal Bullet Weight/223 Rem Bolt

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    I first started shooting the 223 at ranges of 600 to 1,000 yards a few years back with the 80VLD, Varget and a 8 twist barrel finished at 26"(a max per rules of this particular game). It was okay but I felt there was something left on the table with that twist rate. I had another built with a 7.7 twist and did see improvement, especially at the 900/1,000 yard targets. It has been a steady performer for the last 4 years but, alas, I thought I could do better.
    A quick look on Kreiger's website spied a nice HV contour 6.5 twist in .224. It had to be fate so it had to be mine. I had this barrel cut to 26" and chambered in .223 with the thinking whatever the 80VLD could do the new 85.5 or 90 VLD could do better. Was I incorrect?
    Here are the numbers I've accumulated :
    80VLD 2,963 FPS
    85.5 Hybrid 2,826 FPS
    90VLD 2,728 FPS
    I will not use "primer reading" to determine pressure as this bolt has been bushed, small firing pin installed and a Sako-style extractor. I am checking primer pocket expansion and have yet to experience oversized pockets. I do think, from experience across all humidity/temperature extremes, that I am at maximum safe pressures with all three of these loads.
    I've put all the data into Berger ballistic calculator. For point of reference my altitude usually hold around 450' and I used 59˚ temp (where testing of 85/90 has been done). As a sort of "control" I did my 80VLD load there as well so I could have trued data to verify against. No, the printed data does not match the calculator results and the difference is .2 mil with the calculator showing more drop than the actual.
    So, failing a long story short, I'm looking for those with real world experience with 223 heavy bullets to tell me the true advantage of 85/90 over the 80.
    Is it wind drift? Is it velocity advantage at the longest distances (aid to stability)?

I'm also playing with pros and cons of various heavies in the 22 Nosler.
    I have some chrono data, some actual dope at 600yds, but haven't really put them to test at 1000 yds.
    Running a calculator for windage ONLY I get little benefit at 600 (2 to 3 mph miss read).
    Obviously velocity makes a difference but it looks like I could gain a few points at 1000 with a 90 over an 80.
    My basis is how I shoot at 600. Some X's, some 10's, and always a few 9's. For the nines close to a 10 another 1/4 MOA of windage would bump my score. Looking at target results it looks like I'm calling wind to about 2 to 3mph. (5 to 10 within 2 or 3).
    How many times do you miss a 1MOA target by .2 MOA because of wind?

How many times do you miss a 1MOA target by .2 MOA because of wind?

I shoot Mrad scopes so the .2 Mil I mentioned is enough (about 7.2") to cause a miss on a 1MOA target at 1,000 yards. But I didn't really talk about wind deflection either. Compared drop, calculated v. real, of .2Mil with the 80VLD.
    If I were shooting the 22 Creedmoor instead of 223 I do think the 90 grain bullets would be the best route but just wondering about the slower 223.

Mid range ”F’rs” figured this one out a long time ago. To date the 90 vld is the recognized 223 king of the hill. I’ve read some good reports that the 88s may be able to shoot inside of them ... maybe. we run them at 2800ish from 30in tubes.

Now, the problem for non NRA prone shooters is getting it to mag unless you modify an AI 308 mag. (And PRS limits 223 to 77 gr). The OALs are in the same range as a standard short action 308 based case. If PRS pulls the weight limit on 223s the 90s in a modified 308 mag would be the deal. Loading the 90 VLD at mag length for 223s is really not viable. There is way too much bullet in the case.

The new Berger 85.5 might be able to beat the 90s at 223 mag length.

go to the F class section and look for my posts on 223s, or go search on accurate shooter. There is a lot of info from F class shooters on running heavy 223s.