Pontifications: What does it mean to be "Manly" ?

mcameron

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    So with the lefts continuous attack on masculinity, manliness, and traditional gender rolls...it got me thinking, just what does it mean to be "manly"?

now when you look at the dictionary, you are met with the following definition:
    manly
    adjective
    manlier; manliest
    Definition of manly (Entry 2 of 2)
    1: having qualities traditionally associated with a man : STRONG, VIRILE

well thats not a terrible help...basically, "manliness is having qualities of a man"...but what are those qualities?

and i think ive narrowed it down to a few key tenets:
    • Self sacrifice
    • The ability to use violence
    • Self Improvement

Self Sacrifice:

She first thing we need to remember, Men are disposable...its not very flattering, but historically, it seems to be true...just look at any major war throughout history that led to large depletions of the male population, the civilization seems to pop back in short order.

so once weve realized we are not the masters of the universe....where do we fall in the evolutionary pecking order?....well, that i cant say for certain, but i do know that we rank below Women, Children.....our families.

I feel it is imperative that Self sacrifice in the name of our families should be key to being a "man"....putting your families needs before your own....working 2-3 jobs if need be....forgoing luxuries to provide for your family....and changing your behavior if need be.

which segways into me next point...

The Ability to use violence:

Since we have accepted that we are merely disposable meat suits, it is only natural that it is then our role to protect those around us. A knowledge and willingness to do violence on behalf of our families is critical....manliness has no room for pacifists, if you are not willing to engage in violence, when necessary, you are not willing to engage in self sacrifice for your family. Physical conditioning, and training in a martial art is a necessity...

which leads to my next point...

Self Improvement:

We have now acknowledged that Self sacrifice requires the potential use of violence...which requires lifelong training. However, we must also strive to better ourselves in all areas. We must strive to better ourselves in Education, Tradecraft, Social interactions....self improvement is the path we take to grow from Children into Men, not being complacent, and trying to better our selves so we can better serve the needs of our families, and more importantly, we must possess the humility to accept that we are not perfect as we are.

so how does this jive with "toxic masculinity"...well, lets take a look.
    In the social sciences, toxic masculinity refers to traditional cultural masculine norms that can be harmful to men, women, and society overall; this concept of toxic masculinity does not condemn men or male attributes, but rather emphasizes the harmful effects of conformity to certain traditional masculine ideal behaviors such as dominance, self-reliance, and competition.[9][10] Toxic masculinity is thus defined by adherence to traditional male gender roles that consequently stigmatize and limit the emotions boys and men may comfortably express while elevating other emotions such as anger.[11] It is marked by economic, political, and social expectations that men seek and achieve dominance (the "alpha male").

So toxic masculinity is defined as
    • Dominance
    • Self reliance
    • Competition
    • Limiting of Emotions
    well lets look at "Dominance", well that sounds malevolent doesnt it?...well Dominance is defined as "power and influence over others".

well, isnt that just a natural byproduct of "self improvement"?....if you continue to better yourself, you are going to eventually going to gain influence and power over those that have not put that effort into bettering themselves...

how about "Self-Reliance"?...Self reliance is defined as "reliance on one's own powers and resources rather than those of others."

again, isnt that also a byproduct of "self improvement"...and more specifically "self sacrifice"...you are not placing burdens on others to achieve what you should be able to do for yourself...bettering yourself, and occasionally, working harder, so that you are able to provide for your family.

How about "competition" ?..is competition not a tool for achieving "self improvement" ?...how do i know what to improve unless i can measure myself against my peers?

and then finally, "controlling of emotions"....should we not act rationally?...should we let our emotions drive us?...more specifically, if we are overcome by our emotions, how are we able to properly use violence when necessary?...anyone that has been in a fight will tell you that there is an element of fear there, but it is our job to suppress that fear, not succumb to it.

It is clear, that "toxic masculinity" is aimed as destroying ALL tenets of masculinity...as what they define as "toxic", are the very aspects that make masculinity valuable to society.

DocRDS

No One
    Minuteman
    Feb 21, 2012
    Here
    1628370777331.png

Attachments

• 1628370778181.png
      1628370778181.png
      5.4 MB · Views: 34

The D

Resident capitalist/agorist/voluntaryist
    Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    I can’t wait to see how this thread ends up. I predict 40% genuine responses and 60% fuckery.

Reactions: Matches Malone

mcameron

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    I can’t wait to see how this thread ends up. I predict 40% genuine responses and 60% fuckery.
    exactly why i post in the pit.....if it goes to shit, at least it will be entertaining.... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: The D

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    A man is congruent in thoughts words and actions .
    Has integrity in does as he says and honors his word .Whether it be God , Country , Unit and family or God and Family .
    Stands by his principles . By the way principle is worthless less it costs you and hot air is free .
    Some men are incapable of violence and Love , compassion and gentleness is who they are and what they congruently live . I personally know a Spook who is one of the most gentle men and sturdy father's I've ever known .
    I knew a Sargent Major who was the toughest meanest most demanding Mother Fucker that ever walked this rock . He was that way out of love for his men , family and In later years employees .
    Men are courageous . It takes great courage to be gentle when challenged , violent against insurmountable odds and loving while in unspeakable pain .
    Manhood is an epic the likes written by Plato or Socrates . It's culmination lie in the passing of the colors to a younger Man .
    The bittersweet journey ending in slipping beneath the waves , ashes scattered or covered with a soil blanket and repose .

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 20, 2017
    It's simple.
    Speak the truth.
    Do what you say you'll do.
    Treat everyone with dignity and respect even if they don't deserve it.
    Be kind to those who are weaker than you.

TexPatriot

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Jul 20, 2020
    I don't get along well with weasel scumbags and seem to intimidate them just by my presence.

Friends who witnessed it said it was because I was a manly man.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jrassy

Baron23

Check 6
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    IMO, "Manliness" is about what you do...not who you do...

ide easily consider a gay man who works hard to provide for his family, and continually works to better himself far more manly that some whiney ass 30yr old incel with cheeto-dick.
    It was just tongue in cheek, my friend. And no more (y)

Reactions: mcameron

candyx

Private
    Minuteman
  • Apr 6, 2014
    Easy test to take to see if your manly, without telling your girl before hand you just take the Hersey Highway. One other thing make sure your wearing your earpro, its going to get loud.

• Haha
    Reactions: 10ring'r

Maggot

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I don't get along well with weasel scumbags and seem to intimidate them just by my presence.

Friends who witnessed it said it was because I was a manly man.
    Weird, I seem to have the same effect on them, and liberals. They cant seem to get away quick enough. Must be the halitosis.🤧

Bullfrog08

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 6, 2018
    Not sucking dick seems to be a key characteristic, no?
    I disagree. I have met gay men that seem more manly than some straight men. Its unnatural to be gay in my eyes, but you can still be manly and gay.

Most manly men dont need to ask if they are manly....they know. There is not a question in their mind if they are manly.

Aftermath

RECOIL FETISHIST
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    May 14, 2013
    Idaho
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    So with the lefts continuous attack on masculinity, manliness, and traditional gender rolls...it got me thinking, just what does it mean to be "manly"?

and i think ive narrowed it down to a few key tenets:
    • Self sacrifice
    • The ability to use violence
    • Self Improvement

I like your list but it's, IMO, incomplete. It needs the following:
    • Integrity
    • Compassion (which might be a subset of self sacrifice)

Reactions: mcameron

bsommers

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 2, 2020
    1. Family -- provide for immediate and extended family. 2. strength and endurance -- be ready to protect others (namely, grip strength and push/pull strength). 3. Handy skills -- learn basic tools and how to use them. 4. Dress -- have a full wardrobe and know how to put an outfit together for any occasion. 5. Objectivity and dispassion -- listen and respond to crises as a third party. 6. Executive decision making -- do something and never freeze up in the moment of decision. 7. Testosterone -- get after it and have highest levels from fat and cholesterol and weight lifting.

ACard

Chief Mad Hatter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 15, 2020
    Cowtown
    A poem I ran across some years ago says it well. It was anonymous so I cannot give credit to the writer.

Not--"How did he die?" But--"How did he live?"
    Not--"What did he gain?" But--"What did he give?"
    These are the units to measure the worth
    Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.

Not--"What was his station?" But--"Had he a heart?"
    And--"How did he play his God-given part?
    Was he ever ready with a word of good cheer,
    To bring back a smile, to banish a tear?"

Not--"What was his church?" Nor--"What was his creed?"
    But--"Had he befriended those really in need?"
    Not--"What did the sketch in the newspaper say?"
    But--"How many were sorry when he passed away?"

Reactions: Steel+Killer

Daddyusmaximus

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2020
    Lots of things, but I don't think there is a recipe you need to follow to avoid having your "man card" taken away. You need not grow a beard, or serve in your nations armed forces, though that certainly helps in my book.

Just don't be a damn pussy.

A man doesn't always get everything right on the first try, but he doesn't let that stop him from trying either, nor does he place the blame on the shoulder of others for his own failures.

Have some fucking courage for Christ's sake. Like that old John Wayne quote "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

That's what it is to be a man.

Courage.jpg

Reactions: jrassy

frank320

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2019
    Just don't be a damn pussy.

A man doesn't always get everything right on the first try, but he doesn't let that stop him from trying either, nor does he place the blame on the shoulder of others for his own failures.

Have some fucking courage for Christ's sake. Like that old John Wayne quote "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

That's what it is to be a man.
    Agree with above. I think we all know what weak, cowardice and "unmanly" looks like, and it looks and behaves like this:
    1) Cowardly dodging the draft multiple times with lame excuses like "Bone spur" instead of just growing a fking pair and serving your country.
    2) Declaring to your supporters on Jan 6th 2021 how you will march with them side by side to the Capitol, only to retreat and hide in the bunker immediately after.
    3) Blaming everyone around you for your own failure and stupidity instead of taking responsibility for your decisions and actions.

Actions like these are the precise definition of cowardice...

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Agree with above. I think we all know what weak, cowardice and "unmanly" looks like, and it looks and behaves like this:
    1) Cowardly dodging the draft multiple times with lame excuses like "Bone spur" instead of just growing a fking pair and serving your country.
    2) Declaring to your supporters on Jan 6th 2021 how you will march with them side by side to the Capitol, only to retreat and hide in the bunker immediately after.
    3) Blaming everyone around you for your own failure and stupidity instead of taking responsibility for your decisions and actions.

When did you serve, and in which branch?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    1628639579525.png

By biology only......

Through thoughts and deeds...

If—​

BY RUDYARD KIPLING

(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

mcameron

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011

funny you completely forgot to mention Bidens and Clintons draft dodging as well.....hmmm....

we get it, orange man bad...go back to being irrelevant now....

Marinevet1

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017

Tell me what makes you a man...........you fucking fag........

Daddyusmaximus

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2020
    View attachment 7683210

By biology only......

Through thoughts and deeds...

If—​

BY RUDYARD KIPLING

(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
    This is magnificent. Some parts better than others, but right now, with what's going on in the world, one line in particular stands out...

"Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:"

I gave 28 years (U.S. Army) to this once great nation. At first, defending against the communist horde that may at any minute come rolling through the Fulda Gap in what was then Cold War West Germany, (1981) all the way to having my truck blown out from under me in Iraq in 2005. (retired in 2009) I'm not nearly as capable a man as I once was, but I'm every bit as faithful to the oath I swore when I first enlisted, then re-swore every time I re-enlisted.

Now, the nation I would have given my life to protect for my children, has changed to the point where I may one day have to give my life to protect my children... from it.

Not only have communists taken control of our nation, but the very subject of this thread... "manliness" is one of the things they seek to destroy. To even discuss it in open debate is often referred to as "hate speech", or even "violence" itself... They have zero clue what real violence is. What they do know is that men, strong men, would seek to stop them, and so "men" must be eliminated. Masculinity is now "toxic". However, a man can become a woman, a woman can be a man... hell, either, can be neither, just by self declaration... The family unit will be no more if they get their way.

Pure evil.

And that brings to mind another famous quote I happen to like. "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is that good men do nothing."

We need more... good men.

DukeGSP

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 28, 2019
    i'm just gonna say it...... if you have a smooth freshly shaved face, you're gay until proven otherwise. (service men/women are excused)

Daddyusmaximus

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2020
    i'm just gonna say it...... if you have a smooth freshly shaved face, you're gay until proven otherwise. (service men/women are excused)
    You do realize there's a lot of gay dudes, mama's boys, and commies out there right now drinking their starbucks, yelling about how all white men are racists, and posting on their iphones how capitalism is bad, walking around in their skinny jeans... with beards... (and man buns) just because they think it looks cool... right?

DukeGSP

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 28, 2019
    True, but if they have a "bitch biscuit" their beard is null and void.