• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poor groups savage mkII BTV

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, since the ammo shortage Ive been shooting my savage mkII BTV 22lr around the house lately. Specifically trying to work on fundamentals and shooting groups. I have had this rifle for 2 years and never really put it on paper past 25 yards. I got it 2 christmases ago, I remember shooting it at 25 yards that day and being able to keep them all in 1 hole with CCI SV. Well for the last 2 days I have shot groups and I bet I havent had one that was under MOA yet at 50 yds. I seem to either get a flyer or just shoot a big random group, no patterns.

All ammo is CCI SV sorted by rim thickness, hopefully to alleviate flyers. The first target is pretty indicative of what ive been experiencing, 2 close shots and usually 1 flyer. I wish I could shoot more than 3 shots per group but ammo is expensive and I dont want to test my neighbors patience.

The center group measures 1/4" but that is pretty anomalous. The left and right groups are pretty normal, mostly vertical dispersion 2 close rounds and 1 "flyer". The group on the top of the paper is 5 rounds, it looks like 2 groups. After I shot that group I started thinking bedding/action screws.

0328131704_zps66acd5cf.jpg

I shot this target today. I decided that I would play around with different action screw torque rates. The group far left was my first control group. After that I tightened both front and rear action screws, they were pretty loose. The 2nd group actually grew after I tightened the action screws. Tightened the action screws once more on the 3rd group, still not seeing much improvement. And on the last group the bottom metal was flexing I had it torqued so tight, still no appreciable difference in accuracy.

0328131703_zps060ecd9c.jpg

I checked repeatedly that my barrel was free floated, it just barely is. I ordered a thicker bottom metal plate from DIP today, hopefully I can torque my front action screw to the right value with the thicker metal not flexing. Any other ideas besides action screw torque values? Maybe pillar bedding? I dont see any kind of recoil lug on the barrel, and nothing in the stock. Seems like the action screws are the only thing that acts against the stock during recoil. Thanks