• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poor Mans 338 Lapua Loads??? Reduced Loads?

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
The price of a 338LM is in my price range but not sure if the ammo is. At $66 a box, its not!!! I can load 30-06 real cheap. Is there a source of cheap bullets for the 338LM?
Is there data for reduced loads?
Whats the average number of reloads for a case?
Whats the average cost reload cost per case?

Re: Poor Mans 338 Lapua Loads??? Reduced Loads?

To reload in my costs 338lm it is about 2 bucks a round(roughly)

to get the performance of the 338LM, you need to get the load to the recommended range in terms of velocity. Otherwise, you are just wasting time and money. Just saying...

You are not going to save that much on "reduced" loads. We are talking about only about 90's grains of powders. The projos are costly, but that's the nature of the beast. You can get 250 SMK projos, or even the 300 SMK for a little bit cheaper, than the Lapua stuff. You can also get Hornady brass, but the life expectancy may not be as long. In the long run, it will cost just as much if not more. Unfortunately, there is nothing cheap about the 338LM cartridge. It's fun to shoot long but it's going to cost you.

I have my Lapua brass that have at least 12 reloads already and have no signs of problems. Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to get the performance of the 338LM, you need to get the load to the recommended range in terms of velocity. Otherwise, you are just wasting time and money. Just saying...

You are not going to save that much on "reduced" loads. We are talking about only about 90's grains of powders. The projos are costly, but that's the nature of the beast. You can get 250 SMK projos, or even the 300 SMK for a little bit cheaper, than the Lapua stuff. You can also get Hornady brass, but the life expectancy may not be as long. In the long run, it will cost just as much if not more. Unfortunately, there is nothing cheap about the 338LM cartridge. It's fun to shoot long but it's going to cost you.

I have my Lapua brass that have at least 12 reloads already and have no signs of problems. Hope that helps. </div></div>

Neck sizing with the occasional FL or do you do a different system?

Just neck size only with triming of case length as needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The price of a 338LM is in my price range but not sure if the ammo is. At $66 a box, its not!!! I can load 30-06 real cheap. Is there a source of cheap bullets for the 338LM?
Is there data for reduced loads?
Whats the average number of reloads for a case?
Whats the average cost reload cost per case? </div></div>

Simple answer. You can't afford it. If you have to worry about what EACH load is going to cost-stick with your 30-06. Which,BTW, is a very good long range cartridge.
sleep.gif

Well you will get at least 10 loads out of your brass if you don't hot rod them. Then you can save a few pennies on bullets by shooting the Sierra 250 grain spire point boat tail hunting bullet and use bulk powder.
Brass $2.20 ea /10= .22 per shot.
Sierra 250 spbt .43 ea
powder $120.00- 8 pounds/ 75 per pound= .25 per round.
Primers .035 each
$1.00 a round is doable
Take care of your brass and anneal it every 5 shots, you'll get even more life out of it.

I think I get away with 300gr SMK's and Lapua brass for around $1.33 per round assuming you can get 10 reloads out of the case. Not counting on that necessarily but I'm in the process of getting a annealing system together and that should extend the life a little. I heard a world champ long range shooter set a record using Lapua brass that had been fired 54 times.

Thank, this is the info I needed.
The 30-06 is my sons. I don't have a rifle other than a 223 AK. I sold my SVT40 and my Vanguard 30-06 and looking to get a nice rifle but as I am unemployed I better not get a 338LP at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... but as I am unemployed I better not get a 338LP at this time. </div></div>

Landtoy80, don't discount the 300 WM. With the appropriate projos and specs, you can easily push the 300 WM out to 1500 yards plus. I would consider the 300 WM as a good substitute for the 338LM, if your range is limited to just 1200 yards and less.

if you dont have the money to load the 338 stay with a 30 cal even a 30-06 wil likley get it done for you but a 300 Win Mag would be a lot less to load and shoot as the components are cheeper if you are woried about the price mabe just stick with a 308 at they are able to be used to 1200 yards and you can either reload with mill surplus projectiles and easily shoot to 800 yards in an accurate bolt gun. if you substitute a lesser projectile in the 338 you will end up with sompthing close to a 300 win mag anyway using more powder and a more expensive projectile. if you use a cheeper 200-250gr flat based hunting projectile at 1000 yards you will be close to the 30-06 you started with using hige BC projectiles.

So the thing here is if you cant afford to run a 338 at sensible pressures use a smaler calibre and shoot 3 times as much.

But if you are shooting paper look at a 6.5 creedmore or even a 6X47 Lapua they out perform the 308 at 1200 yards and a 284 win will stay with a 300 win mag to 1500 yards so re think the calibres if you are on a budget.