• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Poor Man's Ceracote

former naval person

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2003
Mississippi
Disclaimer...this isn't Ceracote. However, for those who wish to coat their rifles, but don't have the $200 or so...especially the Savage fans...a "stop-gap" measure is nearby at your auto supply store. They sell spray cans of "VHT Header coating". It is supposidly a ceramic spray paint for the headers of Hot Rods. It needs heat curing...those with tolerant wives (mention how you are saving money) and a large oven can use the stuff to put a remarkedly durable coating on their firearms. I respect their advice to not exceed the heat tolerance of the materials...you are supposed to take it to 400+ degrees for final curing, but not wishing to affect the heat treatment of the rifles I have used it on, I don't go higher than 350 F. It works well for working rifles in the woods. Again, it isn't the patented Ceracote, but it is really durable. And, cheap. $9.00 is the usual price for a can that will coat a lot of woods rifles. Preparation is key...degrease and blast or sand the steel well first. Hey...cheap is good for woods and fields. JMHO

Re: Poor Man's Ceracote

I have eyeballed that same stuff in the auto parts store before and wondered about it working or not...Kinda limited color wise tho, right?
Also wonder about putting it into the wifes oven think I've heard NOT to bake the Cerakote in a oven used for food prep but I could be wrong.
Like to see some pics of what you've done with it..

Color wise, yeah. But, a good non reflective black will take care of most situations in the woods. Most woods animals haven't complained about the choices on colors. I haven't heard of the "not in the food oven" claim. All the volatiles will "volatile" off and shouldn't leave anything to eat on. Pics? See flat black. Haven't scared off any eating animals with flat black. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pics? See flat black. Haven't scared off any eating animals with flat black. JMHO </div></div>

Lol...Thanks...I was kinda unsure of the color options. Yea, Eatn animals really dont care what color the gun or weapon they get killed with is do they.

Now that's thinking! I've used some "cheaper" methods of painting with great success, but never thought of using something like that! My wife would flip if I was baking my gun in the oven though....it might be worth it to see what she has to say or what she would do! Nice outside the box thinking there.

We (my youngest son and I) did his FAL about 5 or 6 years ago. Used flat black ceramic header paint. Removed all the springs and internal parts, degreased it twice, two light coats of ceramic paint, bake in three stages (per the directions on the can) in the oven, let cool, lube up and re-assemble. Looks like a new rifle and held up really well. The cleaning chemicals (bore cleaner, carb. cleaner/brake cleaner don't even faze that stuff once its cured in then oven.)

I did a couple of M14 magazines a couple of years later. Same good results. When I get time I have a Remington 11-87 special purpose that needs refinished (too close to a fire one time and I think the fire suppression chemicals did a number on the parkerizing).

You'd be surprised how "cheap" Cerakote really is when sprayed properly. I have a pint bottle of Graphite Black that's coated a lot of stuff - 15+ Rifle bolts, 3 Bolt Knobs, 4 Wide-5 Race Car Hubs (about 10" Diameter aluminum casting with 5 points for lug bolts), 4 Pistol Slides, a set of engine mounts, etc. I still have probably 1/4 of it left.

So, in my estimation, $30 (4 oz) of Cerakote is probably enough to do at least 2 rifles. That's pretty cheap when you think about it....

-matt

I've used the VHT hi temp stuff before. It matches the Surefire finish on cans exactly; and is durable in FA firing.

monteboy84...All true. But you need fairly expensive/extensive equipment to do that properly. You have it. Most of us don't. So...$9.00 of VHT will do 4 or 5 rifles, or 10 to 15 mags, or 2 barbecue grill covers...with NO added expenses for the spray equipment...I know that Cerakote is better. But for fast and cheap, the VHT is worth a thought. However, prep is everything. Blasting with aluminum oxide is best. Sanding will work. Degrease is the key after blasting/sanding. (Use NEW blasting material. Not greasy sand.) If you do aluminum...coat as soon as possible after blasting/sanding. Aluminum builds up a self protective coating almost immediately. Rough is good. JMHO

Understandable, I take an air compressor and regulator for granted, but for a spray gun I just use the cheap harbor freight HVLP guns for gun coatings. You can easily get them for $40, with shopping around I've snagged them for $20 and they work great.

Your point is well-taken though, and I entirely agree that prep is key for any kind of coating. You could spray the greatest coatings known to man onto a gloss blued gun and they won't stick like they would to a properly blasted and cleaned surface.

Another note on paint, John Deere Muffler paint makes an excellent high-temp coating for exhaust and other high-temp applications. We use it on race-car exhausts that routinely glow red and it holds up great, which is pretty impressive for coming out of a spray can.

-matt

Great info I've been dreading putting another 300 bucks in my sps this is gunna be my weekend project.

I used a HT wrinkle finish paint on my Armalite AR-10 aluminum FF tube. Cured it in the oven as per the instruction. It held up great and looks good. The wrinkle texture makes for a better grip compared to the original smooth finish.

Brownell's sells a multitude of spray paint. Some is oven cured and some air dry. All are designed for weapons. Check'em out.

+1 for the VHT header paint, I use it in flat black, the finish lasts a bit longer than the Brownell's for me.

I cure it with a heat gun suspended by a coat hanger, the fumes don't play well with roasts.

I doubt the deer would care if the VHT header paint was hemi orange, but then they don't seem to mind me wearing jeans in the woods either ;-)

Hey I think this is copyright infringement for the "poor man's" title, I'm seeking legal advice

now thats some ingenuity

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ofelas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the VHT header paint, I use it in flat black, the finish lasts a bit longer than the Brownell's for me.

I cure it with a heat gun suspended by a coat hanger, the fumes don't play well with roasts.

I doubt the deer would care if the VHT header paint was hemi orange, but then they don't seem to mind me wearing jeans in the woods either ;-)

</div></div>