• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Poor Man's Custom 1911

VJJPunisher

Necromancing the stone
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
prison purse
So I aquired a Rock Island 1911 in a trade for a Stoeger shotgun. It shot well and decided since I'm a Poor bastid i'd go about building it into something more high speed, cause Im a delta operator on the weekends. Basically set about doing or having done the things I'd want in a 1911 and decided this RIA was a good one to start as a base. the pic below is the earliest pic I have of it and keep in mind it did not have the Extended Slide, mag releases or Magwell on it

1911.jpg

I started by buying the two extended releases mentioned above from brownells, and a JamesCaan on here donated the magwell cause he's just a nice guy.

Next I wanted front slide serrations cut into it so I took it to GAP and flounder cut them and coated the slide in Cerakote

photo.jpg

THEN I wanted some type of texturing on the front and back strap cause the factory was smooth and gave no grip. I got with a good friend that has a mill and he did this to it...

1911-5.jpg

1911-4.jpg

AFTER THAT, I didnt much care for the stamp on the front lower part of the frame saying derka derka phillipines so I said to hell with it and ordered a Novak light rail from brownells. Well my machine savy buddy was out of town at this time so I took it back to GAP to have them drill and tap the frame for the rail and while they were at it coat the whole lower frame in black cerakote, one for the fact i wasnt a fan of the two-tone and two for protection on the bare metal cuts of the dimples, and three for the pure awsomeness.

Oh and another Army buddy donated A wilson combat compensator he wasnt using, so below is the 99% complete product, just waiting on the simmonich grips

New1911.jpg

New1911-2.jpg

New1911-3.jpg

total investment including cost of the Stoeger shotgun I traded for this gun is 760 bucks

Re: Poor Man's Custom 1911

Nice. You will be back to pistol whipping zombies on the weekends in no time at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So.... A GAP <span style="text-decoration: line-through">built</span> milled 1911? For less than 800 bucks?? Freaking awesome, man. </div></div>

Fixed it for you.....

laugh.gif

yeah I couldnt say its a GAP 1911, flounder just did some milling and spraying

though a GAP 1911, hmmmm..........................

Good lord dont get the rumors started. George and Tracey will be hammered with phone calls all day.

To bad it's still not April.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So.... A GAP <span style="text-decoration: line-through">built</span> milled 1911? For less than 800 bucks?? Freaking awesome, man. </div></div>

Fixed it for you.....

laugh.gif
</div></div>

I know. Just stirring the pot.

nice looking 1911. id like to try one of their compacts. im itching for a kimber pro or something that size at least

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the box:

klin: Gap is cutting vjjp off if I get one email about 1911s.</div></div>

Uh oh... Sorry, buddy.
frown.gif

update, i am not cut off yet, but maybe it was because i went in wearing high heels and a prom dress, Ken was QUITE receptive

I am curious, does the comp do anything, or is it cosmetic?
How happy are you with the rail? Pretty sturdy?

Nice work BTW...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious, does the comp do anything, or is it cosmetic?

Nice work BTW...</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious, does the comp do anything, or is it cosmetic?

Nice work BTW...</div></div>

to tell you the truth I'm undecided on the comp, ive shot it with and without and honestly think there is a VERY slight difference in felt recoil and muzzle flip, mind you it was using a mid range power reload so maybe the felt effects would be greater in a hotter load? Is it worth the money and extra length to the gun, i'm leaning towards no.

I'm pleased with the rail, Novak offers it in aluminum or steel, i went with steel. I will say that it was a little too long and needed to be contoured down a bit which i did with my mad dremel skillz. You can see that the ears overlap the trigger guard if you look close to the pics, originally it was solid across there which made it stick out past the frame a good 1/4 inch. Other than that its great, and Flounder silver solder'd it on as well so it's not goin anywhere

got the grips in, I think their definition of "tactical black" and mine are different. they are simmonich G10 gunner grips

1911Grips-5.jpg

really have a great feel and alot of grippin power. I did have to cut down a notch for the ambi safety

1911Grips-2.jpg

then smooth out the area below the slide release cause they were just too grippy there in the thumb area and hampered the ability to manipulate the slide release efficiently

1911Grips-3.jpg

lastly I had to relieve the underside to allow for my magwell (not my prettiest job but fuck it it's under the grips)

1911Grips-4.jpg

what about that Ghey grey color you might ask, never fear pimps nothin a little Matte Black Alumahyde 2 cant cure

1911Grips-1.jpg

and this thing is FINALLY done, add the grips total investment is 820 bones

complete1911.jpg

Minus the comp, I really like how this turned out. Great work VJJ

Very nice work,
FWIW, I dremeled a thumb groove and finger tip grooves into my left side grip and it made it even more comfortable and made my grip more repeatable..YMMV

just an FYI so yall be jelous, it shoots 18 inch groups at 10 yards to boot.......

The thread title is misleading. It shouldn't be "Poor Man's Custom 1911," it should be "Poor Man With Mad Connections at Various Shops 'Hook Me Up, Bro' 1911."

Nonetheless, a piece is a piece is a piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just an FYI so yall be jelous, it shoots 18 inch groups at 10 yards to boot.......</div></div>

You can't count your best group of the day as your average group size and 3 shot groups don't count!
laugh.gif

And just to be clear for the records... How far away is the boot?

I like the machine work on the front strap. I have been thinking about having that done to one of my 1911's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thread title is misleading. It shouldn't be "Poor Man's Custom 1911," it should be "Poor Man With Mad Connections at Various Shops 'Hook Me Up, Bro' 1911."

Nonetheless, a piece is a piece is a piece.</div></div>

thats kinda not fair, all the machine work (minus the dimpling)and cerakoting was paid for so anyone could get those things done by a competent gunsmith. And the dimpling was done by a friend in his garage so I wager that a competent machinist could do the same thing for a fair price. I did get two "hookups" with the comp and the magwell but mooch around on here a bit and you too can get friendly cohorts on here to help ya out with small pieces for a build.........POSSIBLY without having to offer up handjobs, but I am not THAT good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thread title is misleading. It shouldn't be "Poor Man's Custom 1911," it should be "Poor Man With Mad Connections at Various Shops 'Hook Me Up, Bro' 1911."

Nonetheless, a piece is a piece is a piece.</div></div>

thats kinda not fair, all the machine work (minus the dimpling)and cerakoting was paid for so anyone could get those things done by a competent gunsmith. And the dimpling was done by a friend in his garage so I wager that a competent machinist could do the same thing for a fair price. I did get two "hookups" with the comp and the magwell but mooch around on here a bit and you too can get friendly cohorts on here to help ya out with small pieces for a build.........POSSIBLY without having to offer up handjobs, but I am not THAT good </div></div>

I wasn't trying to be unfair. Sorry if I hurt any feelings — wait, HANDJOBS?

Great googly-moogly ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black is beautiful VJJ, very nice! </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Black is Whack," sayeth Pat Rogers in the pages of SWAT.

But Pimp-o-licious appears to be making a come-back, per RIA.</span>
DSC06243.jpg

laugh.gif

cool.gif

Best $760 1911 ever. Period.

And I thought you must be Delta when I first saw the photos...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black is beautiful VJJ, very nice! </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Black is Whack," sayeth Pat Rogers in the pages of SWAT.

But Pimp-o-licious appears to be making a come-back, per RIA.</span>
DSC06243.jpg

laugh.gif

cool.gif

</div></div>

that has a serious case of the GHEY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brunop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best $760 1911 ever. Period.

And I thought you must be Delta when I first saw the photos...</div></div>

what makes you think I'm not? is it my gut gut?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is actually a ninja glock installed inside the grip panel </div></div>

This post cracked me up. Reminds me of the time my good friend told me we should load my 4wd Toyota in the bed of his 3/4 ton Chevy in case it broke down.
wink.gif

okie