• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Popped a rib / intercostal strain...

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
At jiu jitsu class last Thursday doing a clock choke on my training partner while rolling. Couldn't quite get the tap, so switched my hips and twisted my torso a little more...heard several loud POPs. I'm still a white belt, so I'm sure I wasn't executing correct technique. Rib temporarily popped out and I'm left with an intercostal strain.

Icing it a couple of times a day, and stopped training until it stops hurting.

Anyone else gotten this injury before? Any recovery tips to speed things along...it's killing me to stop training.

Did it once, felt like a golf ball stuck in my ribs, think doing heavy goodmornings , ice and ducktaped ribs helped. Some reason the support the tape gave helped, just back off a few weeks and it should heal.

Instead of Duct tape try KT tape (get the professional). I have had a similar injury for the last 5 years. All my ribs on my left side are all out of place and crooked as hell now. I had lung cancer and had 1/2 of my left lung removed. When they did it they cut me from my arm pit to below my rib cage vertically just in from of my latt. They spread my rib cage until the doc had both hands inside them at the same time. I have always been VERY active and lift weights religiously. This slowed me down a bit and it still hurts 5 years later. Just let it heal, back off when you feel the pain. Good luck its a rough injury.