• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Popular Bullet weight for F-TR

Quickoz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Two Rocks, Western Australia
G'day all,

Im a new F-Class shooter from australia. We are about a month away from hopefully adding F-TR to our rules and shooting it as a seperate class. My question is this, what projectile weight are most of you running in your rifles?? The guys I talk to over here are sticking with 155gr from the outlook and think that the 175gr weight will not perform aswell. Im just chasing your perspective. I currently have a 155gr NCC load and a 175gr SMK laod that both shoot well. I will be testing the new Berger 175gr OTM and the BT Long Range against the 175gr SMK, 155gr NCC, HBC, Scenar for starters. Just looking for some imput.

Cheers guys. You all have some darn nice F-TR rifles.

Re: Popular Bullet weight for F-TR

T-TR or Open?

I'm assuming F-TR, in that case there are really two schools of thought and both have has success. There are the folks shooting 155s and those shooting heavies, 185s and 190s.

The 175 SMK is a good round and will get you there, but at 1000 yds the offerings from Berger in 185, specifically the Hybred and the LRBT will get you there for less windage if you get close to the same MV of the 175SMK, and windage is the name of the game.

Then again Bergers cost 2x what the Sierra's cost. I shoot both. I practice with the SMKs and shoot Bergers in matches.

26" Kreiger Heavy Palma, 1-12" Twist.

F-TR. Id try to stay with one load for all ranges, or do most guys run two different loads??

I want to try the bergers, but as you say, Bergers cost a bunch more. As it is I have to pay AUD$52.50/100projie's and bergers would cost around 68 - 70 plus for 100 projie's. I dont think my barrel will stabalise any heavier then the 175gr's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">26" Kreiger Heavy Palma, 1-12" Twist.

I dont think my barrel will stabalise any heavier then the 175gr's. </div></div>

Page down to 30 cal on this - you'll see the 1/12 stabilizes 2 of their 3 185s.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Target%20Bullets.html

For u in Australia the common bullets are the 155 HBC then lapua and berger, all three have about the same BC G7 of .236. the availability and cost of the HBC is the primary reason down under. After that the next weight class up is the berger 185 LRBT.

I have heared nothing about this NCC bullet got pics or specs on it?

Trevor

Its the Nosler Custom Competition bullet. Currently legal for F-Standard.

I have some HBC on hand as well as Scenars and Palma SMKs aswell the NCC so I will do some more load dev with the HBC and Scenars. The NCC just seems to shoot soo well from my rifle. Groups tight and scores well. Its just the 900 and 1000yd applications that have me worried as its not faster enough out of my barrel so far and I just rebarreled to a 26" so thats not an option.