• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Port vs Brake

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
Can someone out there with more knowledge than me tell me if there is a difference between a ported barrel and a threaded brake as far as how they function?

My assumption is that they are essentially the same, but what the hell do I know.

Thanks in advance,

Dark

Re: Port vs Brake

Same basic concept.

You will not get as much recoil reduction with a the ported barrel vs. the brake. Typically more surface area of the brake= less recoil.

The <span style="font-weight: bold">brake </span>is designed for <span style="font-weight: bold">recoil reduction</span> while <span style="font-style: italic">"<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">generally</span></span>" </span><span style="font-weight: bold">porting </span>refers to devices that direct gases upwards <span style="font-weight: bold">to reduce muzzle climb</span> and to some extent also the recoil.

A brake is more of a recoil reducer as well as reducing muzzle flip in some designs.

A porting system focuses more on reducing muzzle flip and a bit of recoil. Porting is often used on Shotguns to reduce muzzle flip and allow fast follow up shots on under/over shotties.
However it doesnt reduce the recoil as much as a well designed muzzle brake.