• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Portable barrel vise???

Greg0326

Regular Dude
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Vista, CA
I’ve got a SAC modular barrel vise, Arca mounted version, and I’m curious if anyone has an idea on how to mount it and make it portable? The range I go to is 2 hours away and sometimes I want to run multiple barrels on the same action. Any ideas?

Reactions: Cote0321
Not exactly what you're thinking about but one option is to buy a 21st-century vise ($60) and you can clamp it to a table or bolt it to trailer hitch. You may be able to do this with SAC vise I'm just familiar with 21st.

Reactions: Greg0326
Not exactly what you're thinking about but one option is to buy a 21st-century vise ($60) and you can clamp it to a table or bolt it to trailer hitch. You may be able to do this with SAC vise I'm just familiar with 21st.
Appears to be similar to the Arca base for SAC vise. What are you using as a table/hitch mounted table to mount to?

Appears to be similar to the Arca base for SAC vise. What are you using as a table/hitch mounted table to mount to?

Cheapest way:
1. grab a piece of square pipe that fits in your truck hitch.
2. cut to length. Long enough for your tools to clear bumper
3. drill two holes and mount to truck.

You could do the same thing with an arca rail onto the square pipe.

PM me, I’ve got an extra 11” arca rail I could hook you up on.

gonna try to draw up a model for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg0326 and jd138
found this photo on accurateshooter:
1585999847563.png

@want2learn wish you would've found that before i designed it on CAM!! hahaha

@Greg0326 This is obviously with the 21st century on top. I have an 11in arca rail that you could just drill matching holes for on a piece of square pipe. same concept though. I'd probably find some way to shim the square pipe in the trucks receiver though, take up the slop of shitty tolerances. Just me being anal though.

Attachments

• Truck vise 1.png
    Truck vise 1.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Truck vise 2.png
    Truck vise 2.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Truck vise 3.png
    Truck vise 3.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Truck vise 4.png
    Truck vise 4.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Have you checked out the West Texas Ordnance switch lug?

Get a second Arca bottom from SAC and mount it wherever and however you want. Thats what I’ve done. Don’t have any pics and I’m at work or I’d take some.

i understand how to mount the rail to the square tubing

...how do you then mount the vise to the arca rail? is there a clamp or adapter that is strong enough and large enough to effect this? i'm certain i'm missing something

I’m pretty sure the SAC vise he talking about has an arca clamp on the bottom. Pretty much everything they make is based off of arca clamps and modularity

@want2learn very well. I should’ve confirmed first.

@Greg0326 I’d call SAC and just order another vise base like in the bottom of this picture. Mount it to square pipe for truck hitch, easy day.

pretty sure that’s what @pyplynr was saying

Attachments

• 5AAEE1C1-77F5-455E-8226-6C7D3252BC0A.png
    5AAEE1C1-77F5-455E-8226-6C7D3252BC0A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Reactions: pyplynr
found this photo on accurateshooter:
View attachment 7290046
@want2learn wish you would've found that before i designed it on CAM!! hahaha

@Greg0326 This is obviously with the 21st century on top. I have an 11in arca rail that you could just drill matching holes for on a piece of square pipe. same concept though. I'd probably find some way to shim the square pipe in the trucks receiver though, take up the slop of shitty tolerances. Just me being anal though.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking.

@want2learn very well. I should’ve confirmed first.

@Greg0326 I’d call SAC and just order another vise base like in the bottom of this picture. Mount it to square pipe for truck hitch, easy day.

pretty sure that’s what @pyplynr was saying
That’s exactly what I’m doing. I found some trailer hitch vise table on amazon. I’m going to pick one up so I can at least change barrels out while standing and use the truck bed as a table to set everything on.

Earthquake, did you make that or buy it? I would really like that setup for my 21st Century vice.
Made it. My uncle had the solid aluminum bar lying around. Just drilled/tapped it and filed the edges a bit so it fit and, done.

I did the same thing but mounted my Ross Vise to a "2" Hitch Extender" I purchased from Northern Tool for something like $42.00. I tried to follow the videos of using the Ross Vise but I never could get a good torquing experience, it's like I always needed a third hand... Now I have the third hand... LOL The Ross Vise just fits, and I mean just fits on this extension. The bolts that hold the vise to the tube just barely clear the end of the tube inside this tube where the vise is attached. It works dandy, love it.... Makes changing barrels in the field on my Bighorn TL3 action a snap! Should have done this sooner!

All the best,
Jeff

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612675_200612675

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPEG
    IMG_0063.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0062.JPEG
    IMG_0062.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0067.JPEG
    IMG_0067.JPEG
    926.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0061.JPEG
    IMG_0061.JPEG
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0065.JPEG
    IMG_0065.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
Reactions: Army First
So here is what I ended up with. It’s far enough out with the 12” extension that I can open and close the truck bed to use as a table top. And it’s tall enough that it replicates my work bench. I already had the SAC Modular Barrel Vise and just bought another ARCA plate to mount to the vise table. Move my barrel vise from the bench to the truck and I’m ready to party. Overall pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 121FB3F6-9CBF-44AA-8611-95E1662530EC.jpeg
    121FB3F6-9CBF-44AA-8611-95E1662530EC.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 971E1B47-EEE4-4FF0-9602-6EE086E3370F.jpeg
    971E1B47-EEE4-4FF0-9602-6EE086E3370F.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 0EF1D222-8D1E-437E-8832-80D3AA7D64DE.jpeg
    0EF1D222-8D1E-437E-8832-80D3AA7D64DE.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 139
Outstanding!

So here is what I ended up with. It’s far enough out with the 12” extension that I can open and close the truck bed to use as a table top. And it’s tall enough that it replicates my work bench. I already had the SAC Modular Barrel Vise and just bought another ARCA plate to mount to the vise table. Move my barrel vise from the bench to the truck and I’m ready to party. Overall pretty happy with it.

Reactions: Greg0326
Great setup. Did you have to drill holes into the [maxx haul] hitch mount vise? Or did the SAC Modular Barrel Vise fit perfectly with the provided cutouts? Thanks!

Pretty much inspired by @Greg0326 setup.

The mount from Amazon + SAC Modular Barrel Vise. Excellent platform with zero wiggle. This will make it so easy to switch calibers at the range.

The socket through the base is 1.5x1.5 in x 13 coarse thread, grade 8 washer and wingnut from the local hardware store.

FFQzfN8.jpg

U9fqM8Z.jpg

70bna4N.jpg

WsaV4NU.jpg