• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Portable lighting system for night shooting

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
I just joined a range that is basically 24/7 but NODs are not in my budget right now. I wouldn't mind shooting at night to get away from our God awful heat. Any ideas on a portable flood lighting system? It can be generator powered but has to be compact enough to fit in a Jeep.

Edited to add: This isn't necessarily for rifle shooting. More for pistol and carbean. You know.. The tactical shit.

Last edited:
I just use one of these Dewalt lights, ofset from the steel. you do not need much light on the steel to shoot at night if you are using a decent scope.

414sM-9cmEL.jpg

If you would like to go fancier

51w1lEVrkKL._SL1001_.jpg

Reactions: 021411
A good light on the gun works. I like 1000-1200 lumens for a long gun and 300-400 for a hand gun. For general lighting I like the milwaukee 12v flood lights. Decent flood pattern and set a few up and you are good (one left side, one right side and a couple down the center.

Get some cheap solar powered landscaping spot lights or flagpole lights off of Amazon. Put them far enough in front of the target to keep spall from hitting them.

Get some cheap solar powered landscaping spot lights or flagpole lights off of Amazon. Put them far enough in front of the target to keep spall from hitting them.

Ivan from Magnetospeed did exactly this at the fall Alabama Precision match a couple years ago, and a bunch of us got to do a night shoot that Friday night. Seeing misses was a bit tricky at 1200, but you could still see impacts pretty well.

If it's for the "tactical stuff" I second the weapon mounted lights, great to train with what you will take to the party. I've also trained with DTI and they used roadside signal flares for illumination. The combination of the red light and smoke was pretty eerie, albeit effective!

these or this
or maybe
this all could attach to a car mount and a pole