• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Portable Reloading Bench

83Scout

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
I’m a good 45 minutes from the closest range, and when doing load development it’s a pain to load a few of what I think might work and find out they don’t. So, has anyone built a portable kit just to be able to reload a few at different seating depths or whatever, so that you’re not wasting trips back and forth? Pics?

I have a friend that rebuilt an Airsteam travel trailer just to reload out of it remotely.

There are a ton of designs and such via Google images as well, might be a good starting point.

Walmart has cheap half stools for $20. Cut the seat on one side so you have a flat area and drill a couple holes for mounting. Tada! That is what I used. Doesn’t need to be pretty it just needs to work.

Reactions: 83Scout
When I started reloading I had zero space so I made my bench from a folding Black and Decker work bench I found at a yard sale. It's like this one:

iu

I basically cranked it to its full "open" position and made a plywood tabletop for it. It's folds flat (and the legs fold flat underneath) so it's very portable. Would easily fit into any trunk or the back of a SUV/truck.

I have a Hornady progressive press and Lyman single press bolted to it so they can easily be removed/remounted.

You could probably use it as a makeshift shooting bench in a pinch as well.

Some good ideas. I didn’t even think about checking out how the bench rest guys do it. I’m sure they’ve come up with some good makeshift stuff.

Ditto on the Black And Decker bench. I made one with 1" x 3/4" trim acrost the back and 3/4 length on the sides so that nothing rolls off. Made the top out of double stacked 3/4" plywood, for no flex.

Ditto on the Black And Decker bench. I made one with 1" x 3/4" trim acrost the back and 3/4 length on the sides so that nothing rolls off. Made the top out of double stacked 3/4" plywood, for no flex.

Does it still fold up somewhat compact with the modifications or does it not affect it?

Does it still fold up somewhat compact with the modifications or does it not affect it?

Mine does.

All you're really doing is adding a solid tabletop to it instead of having the split/adjustable tabletops. If you make a REALLY big tabletop then you'll have to consider that when you transport, but I kept mine in pretty much the same dimension as the original. If I remember I'll take a picture tonight.

Mine does.

All you're really doing is adding a solid tabletop to it instead of having the split/adjustable tabletops. If you make a REALLY big tabletop then you'll have to consider that when you transport, but I kept mine in pretty much the same dimension as the original. If I remember I'll take a picture tonight.

Great. That’s what I was wondering, if it would still be somewhat compact for hauling around. I may check into creating a type of quick disconnect for the tools I mount on there, should I need to.

I once spent an entire summer deep in Hell's Canyon (Idaho) and took along a Black & Decker workmate as was pictured above. I took a 2x6 screwed to a double thickness of 1 1/8 plywood that had been glued and screwed together. All of those screws were from the under side. I didn't even apply any finish. Clamp that 2x6 in the vise of the workmate. I mounted my old Rockchucker press and it worked just fine. I took along most of my reloading gear..case trimmer, etc. There were times when I would not see another human other than my wife for a couple of weeks at a time. There are rocks galore to shoot at any distance you can imagine and pretty much any angle up or down. I learned very much that summer.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
If you've got a trailer hitch on your vehicle, I'd imagine it would be fairly simple to fab a rig that would mount on the trailer hitch.

IMG_20191213_131911.jpg

It's messy and crowded now because I was loading 9mm on the progressive and .308 on the single last week. I usually take the single press off if im not loading rifle ammo for a while.

Just take the presses off (and the random shit piled underneath) and it folds flat.

I just welded a rectangle frame and mounted a wood piece on the top. Bolted an Inline Fab reloading press stand and ordered the quick change system. My frame is fairy small and has handles, just large enough for the press stand and powder dispensing. I just C clamp it to whatever table I am using and with the quick change system can easily switch between the two single stage presses I use one with a sizing die, the other with a seater.

I tried the workmate for a while but it was a pain to keep level with a bunch of weight hanging off one side or the other and it wasn't as portable as I'd like. I switched to a harbor freight grinder stand, reinforced the top with a 1/8" plate, welded nuts to the plate so I only need one wrench to bolt the press down, its pretty fast to set up, and fits in the trunk of a Ford Focus. I haul my press, dies, powder, scale, dies, etc around in a cheap toolbox. Usually it is all assembled and kept in a closet, I pull it out, grab a chair from the kitchen, and load ammo in the living room while watching TV. With some random clamps I can hang my power thrower off of it, set up some Akro bins on a piece of angle, or even expand it to have a little flat spot off the side to hold reloading blocks. There is also an extra shelf on it that comes in handy.

This what i did for when I’m traveling for work. I do all my trimming and powder measuring in my camper

Attachments

• A0EF5965-0E16-4AF2-A5AC-19C55AFEB594.jpeg
    A0EF5965-0E16-4AF2-A5AC-19C55AFEB594.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: memilanuk
I built this a few years ago...it opens on the side to hold cases, powder, dies, etc...works pretty well!

Attachments

• IMG_6394.jpg
    IMG_6394.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 162
How stable is it when you pull the lever down during full length re-sizing and up to pull the case out of the die?

It isn't rock solid but it isn't bad. If you look underneath the tabletop I have two old IKEA coffee table legs supporting a cinderblock for more weight. I usually hold on to the back side of the press as I full length size to prevent any wear and tear on the table itself but I don't think it's necessary. I'll run down there and take a quick video of a few so you can see the flex. Back in a few.

Not bad - it'll work till you have room for something stronger.

Yeah the basement walls are lined with totes full of decor and my wifes clothes... So until I build or buy shelving for all of that stuff I'm stuck with my little Workmate. Better than nothing.

Yeah the basement walls are lined with totes full of decor and my wifes clothes... So until I build or buy shelving for all of that stuff I'm stuck with my little Workmate. Better than nothing.
How often does your wife go into those totes? Does she leave the house for work before you? Hmmmm - I would take a tote each day when I go to work and donate to the Salvation Army dumpster.

How often does your wife go into those totes? Does she leave the house for work before you? Hmmmm - I would take a tote each day when I go to work and donate to the Salvation Army dumpster.

Seasonal and no she works from home, I'd be in some deep shit if I pulled that!

this is a great idea. I need to make one of these, this would work great for the range and doing load dev, as well as if I'm going to a match and need to do anything with my ammo. (y)

Anyone use the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press? Doesn't seem like you can get much more portable than that thing if it works
It works, I've used it for .22 Hornet to .338 Win Mag and 45-70. Ideally, I'd load my rounds at maximum length and use it to test different seating depths at the range.

Anyone use the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press? Doesn't seem like you can get much more portable than that thing if it works
It works and works well. It's what I started reloading with.

I stored the tool, dies, scale, brass, bullets, loading block, one lb of powder, primer loader and a couple of packs of primers in a tackle box (larger size, but not huge) and nobody was the wiser.

I would reload 100 rounds of .38 Special in a sitting.