• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Porter's Precision 6.5x47 Lapua

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
All -

After reading so many positive things about the 6.5x47 chambering, I decided to have one built. The gunsmith is Ken Porter, of Porter's Precision, and I cannot recommend him and his work enough. He is a hell of a nice guy, and puts together a great rifle in a reasonable amount of time. I also have a .308 built by him.

The specs are as follows:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Remington 700 action, trued
[*]Ken Porter Bolt Knob
[*]Timney Trigger
[*]Seekins Mag Sytem
[*]Brux 8.5 Twist, at 26 inches (might go shorter down the road)
[*]Porter Precision 20 MOA base
[*]Manners MCS-T, Pillar Bedded[/list]

65x47Lapua001.jpg

65x47Lapua002.jpg

65x47Lapua003.jpg

65x47Lapua004.jpg

65x47Lapua005.jpg

65x47Lapua006.jpg

65x47Lapua007.jpg

I'll start the load development process tomorrow. Should be a fun rifle.

Best,
Josh

Re: Porter Precision 6.5x47 Lapua

Looks like a fun rifle. I've been looking at building a rifle around that cartridge myself. Let us know how that goes.

Thanks Leo, I owe you more than you know. I really appreciate all of the advice.

Apologies, I cleaned out the pm box. He is located in Lake Jackson, but works in Houston.

Re: Porter's Precision 6.5x47 Lapua

DHD -

I originally had a Farrell 20 moa base sitting on top of the rifle (which started life as a factory remington 5R), but always found the height to be a bit high for my liking. I mentioned in passing that I was going to switch the scope base out eventually, and he told me about his rail, and was sold.

I'll e-mail him for better details, but the rail extends a bit further than most to allow for more flexibility with scope mounting. It also sits lower than the Farrell base, and compliments my S&B and the stock's comb height perfectly for me.

I'd rather give my money to Kenny any day of the week, he is really a great guy to work with.

I shoot with Kenny down at Bayou all the time, and he is a all around good guy, not just a great gunsmith.

Next time you speak with him, congratulate him on his recent victory in the TSRA State Long Range Championship.

Now, get that gun out to Bayou for our next 1k or 600 yard match and see just what she can do!!!

Mark

Congratulations Josh, nice rifle. What's the contour on that barrel?

Scott

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that it is a palma contour. The guys at Brux were extremely helpful, and were very quick with the order. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Thanks Mark. I built this rifle with those comps in mind, and I shoot at Bayou regularly. I would love to get together and shoot some time.