• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes POS scope= loss of accuracy?

phillipjr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2012
Harrodsburg, KY
Hello everyone! I am new here so bear with me, I may have some silly questions. I recently bought a r700 sps tactical, I have the rifle completed the way I want it all except for the scope I want. In the mean time I used an old bushnell (no idea what model) to start breaking in the barrel. Would a crappy scope affect accuracy?

If you all need more information about my setup please ask.

Re: POS scope= loss of accuracy?

Glass is an important part of your shooting system. Inconsistent tracking, parallax, poor clarity can all lead to missed long range shots, or larger groups. Optics are not the only variable, but a very important one.

Not to say you can't tweak that scope to get consistent hits at one range.

In short, there is no perfect answer, as there are too many variables.

Any "weak link" in your rifle's setup has the potential to negatively impact accuracy, reliability, etc., etc.

Certainly a "POS scope" as you indicated isn't going to help you decide if your rifle is shooting up to its potential. BUT...the equation doesn't just stop with the scope. Perhaps most importantly is the person squeezing the trigger. From there, you have to consider the ammo you are using and whether it is appropriate for determining "accuracy," the basic setup of the rifle (i.e. - is the barrel free-floated, if it is, is the stock or some other object making contact with the barrel when you are shooting, etc., etc., etc.), and let's not forget what you are using to mount the scope to your rifle (incl. scope base and rings and whether or not you have everything properly mounted).

The laundry list of things that goes into the equation is long and without more info, its hard to tell. Specifically, the specs on your particular setup, what kind of ammo and under what conditions you are shooting (envir., shooting position, bipod or benchrest, etc.), and what kind of accuracy you are actually getting (or what you perceive the problem with the scope to be other than "crappy scope affecting accuracy").

Look forward to hearing more about your difficulties. (oh...and welcome to the Hide).

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And yes the scope/rings/interface could be in play also

You can't hit what you can't see, and if the scope doesn't track or keep a zero you can't hit the same place consistently.

Thank you for the information. I will keep you updated when I purchase a new scope. The scope I want is a swfa ss 16x. I don't have a ton of money to be able to drop on a nightforce or anything like that but I have read that these would probably be good enough for what I am needing. I also shimmed the stock, how well does shimming work? I also will be working up some hand loads.

Most scopes that are even CLOSE to decent will hold a zero. They may lack clarity, resolution, brightness, tracking, parallax elimnation and convenience, but they usually hold a zero, once you get it set. My $20 Simmons actually did ok when I first got started.

make sure all your bolts/screws are somewhere near the proper torque specs too. a loose base screw can give you a headache.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">make sure all your bolts/screws are somewhere near the proper torque specs too. a loose base screw can give you a headache.</div></div> I tightened the base, action, and ring screws to torque specs that I found on the Hide and I ended up with a .9 inch 5 shot group with remmington 150 grain core lokt. I was impressed lol.

Do your self a big favor and stay away from POS scope. While they MAY hold zero (most POS scope I have seen don't) there resolution, clarity and light gathering ability generally aren't very good. That said I have an old Tasco 3-9X32 that I bought over 30 years ago that was made in Japan. Tracks fine excellent resolution and clarity. Today POS like NCStar, Tasco, Famous Maker and Bafks simply have many faults and don't hold up over the long run. Their of course exceptions but I would save until you ca get a decent scope. It will save you a lot of heart ache.

+1 on the proper torque specs. I read post in another forum today where a person who was having issues even though he had tightened a base "as tight as possible using my fingers" was given the advice to have it "tight but not too tight".
confused.gif
An investment of $50 on an inch/pound torque driver is money well spent.

Mark H.

Phillipjr, I wouldn't be so fast to blame the scope. You stated you are breaking in the barrel, cleaning the barrel between each shot or even after 5 or 10 shots will reuslt in a shift in point of impact. As mentioned above, ensure your torque setting are correct. I wouldn't be worried too much about the rifle accruacy as you are breaking in the barrel, once you have broken in the barrel in a manner you seem fit. Invest in some quality ammo, if you are not a reloader, FGGM and Black Hills come to mind, but some vendors here on the Hide such as McCourt make excellent ammunition. With regards to a 16x SWFA, having used a 16X before it does have its limiting factors, take a close look at a 10X such as SWFA, Bushnell Elite or even the Falcon Menace 4-14.