• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

possible barrel change, need advice

treymchattie

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Keller, Tx
i have an AAC-SD .308 that i have upgraded with a B&C stock, DWS custom brake, Millet LRS-1 optics, VOR rings, and a wyatts DBM. i love the gun but i have not been overly impressed with the accuracy. with my handloads i am shooting 178gr A-Max's infront of 37.7gr of XBR and at best i can barely make sub MOA. barrel has appx 700 rds through it. the longest distance i have been able to shoot was 650yds and this required a ton of holdover. i am looking for something a lot flatter shooting that can reach out to at least 1000yds, as i will be leaving california soon and moving to the DFW area and will have more of an opportunity to shoot longer ranges.

the last couble of weeks i have been toying with the idea of having a barrel installed, and switching the chamber to 6.5CM and increasing the length to ~26" mostly because all it will need is a barrel swap and i will be good to go.

my question: is 6.5cm a good choice for this? what barrel length would be best suited for the cartridge? who should i have install the barrel?

shipping the gun to a smith is an option, and i would like to have other work done to the gun such as a new bolt knob, etc. anything else i should have done while it is out?

Re: possible barrel change, need advice

If you want a flatter shooting .308 I would look into the 155 gr Lapua Scenar, Berger 155.5 gr full bore and the 155 2156 Sierra SMK. They do really well in the 2900+ fps ball park.

If you opt to switch to 6.5mm CRDM then you'll just need a 6.5mm barrel blank. I have had good luck with a 1-8" twist and lenghts between 24" and 28". 6.5mm CRDM is a great choice because of the affordable match ammo from Hornady and the ease of reloading for the round.

While the rifle is off to the smith you could have him true your action, cut and chamber the new match barrel, cut threads for your muzzle brake, switch bolt knobs and open up the base screws to 8-40. If you need anything bedded or inlett this would be a good time to have it done.

6.5CM would be an excellent choice, 24 or 26 in tube would work well.

Looking at your recipe, though, I must ask, is this a "proven" load. Is it the "best" your rifle can do with this powder/bullet combo?
Before I'd give up on that tube, I would try some RE-15 or Varget. There is also the thought that your barrel just might not like the 178 AMAX.
Have you tried 175 SMK's? The M118 LR load is a 175 SMK over RE15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same rifle (well action and barrel) I just ordered my Rock Creek .260 barrel to convert. I went 22" but I'm debating calling and having it switched to a 24". You should read this entire article: http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/
</div></div>this is the article that sold me on 6.5, good read. i am without a doubt going to use a shilen barrel, as i am moving to less than an hour from them in a week. probably going with the 26" 1-8 twist.

im sure i could do better with a better load, but i feel slightly gimped by the 20" barrel and figure if i am going to swap barrels i might as well change calibers to something more suited to what i want to do.

its going to be bittersweet, the only part left of my AAC-SD will be the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a flatter shooting .308 I would look into the 155 gr Lapua Scenar, Berger 155.5 gr full bore and the 155 2156 Sierra SMK. They do really well in the 2900+ fps ball park.

If you opt to switch to 6.5mm CRDM then you'll just need a 6.5mm barrel blank. I have had good luck with a 1-8" twist and lenghts between 24" and 28". 6.5mm CRDM is a great choice because of the affordable match ammo from Hornady and the ease of reloading for the round.

While the rifle is off to the smith you could have him true your action, cut and chamber the new match barrel, cut threads for your muzzle brake, switch bolt knobs and open up the base screws to 8-40. If you need anything bedded or inlett this would be a good time to have it done. </div></div>from all i have read, my barrel likes heavy bullets because of its 1-10 twist.

ill have my gun at Shilen, pretty sure they do everything i want

If you decide not to re-barrel I would try increasing your load a bit. I know the data on 8208 xbr is a bit limited but nearly everyone reports having to go near max or over to get good accuracy. Your load seems a bit low but I don't know what brass you are using.

I have an AAC-SD and found an accuracy node using Hornday Match brass once fired F/L sized with 41.5g 8208xbr under the 178 Amax. I worked up to 43g (slight crunch) with no pressure signs. Work your load up and use caution near max loads.

Just some info in case you keep the .308 barrel on.

Go against conventional wisdom and try the 168's. That's what mine likes so far @ 2690 fps. But I'm using 3031 for powder along with the br2 primer.

First off, make sure everything has proper torque.

Then try some factory match ammo to get a baseline. Perhaps 175 gr Federal GMM.

Then try some handloads. I would recommend trying Lapua brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 175 gr Sierra BTHP Matchkings, and a stiff dose of Varget.

If none of these three solutions work for you, then it is time to invest in a barrel, true job, and possibly upgrade to the 6.5mm.

I'd try some factory ammo first. I have had two AAC-SD's and both were 1/2 moa capable. Try FGMM 168 and 175. 175 for longer distance. Instead of hold over try adjusting the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same rifle (well action and barrel) I just ordered my Rock Creek .260 barrel to convert. I went 22" but I'm debating calling and having it switched to a 24". You should read this entire article: http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/
</div></div>
May I ask why you chose the 6.5 over the .260? .260 seems to be the best all around in terms of price to shoot, ballistics, barrel life etc. I went .260, I'm curious your reasoning

have you tried 44-45gns of varget and the 175smk? Its a universally good load in the .308.

I cannot get 178gr A-Max's to shoot from my Crusader. I've tried everything. Shoots 175 and 168 SMK's through the same hole. 43gr and 44.6 gr of varget for either and it;s lights out. I have about 1000 178 and 168 A-Max's for sale if anybody wants them. I hate these damn things.