• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report possible bullet blowup?

bjohnson_7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
by the river TN
I was shooting my .300 RUM the other day at 350 yards and I never saw where my first shot hit. My dad and a friend were there and my dad had binos and his friend was looking through his scope and they never saw it either. My second shot was 2 inches low from center so I moved the scope up 2 inches and hit dead center. I was shooting my hunting load...180 Nosler AB over 101 gr of Retumbo...I've never had this happen before but I do remember having some rounds reloaded with 101.5 gr of powder and I may have chucked one of those through my rifle. But everytime I've went up .5 grains my POI has never shifted more than than 3/4 of an inch. The more I think about it, the more I think the bullet may have blown up. What do yall think?

Re: possible bullet blowup?

Not Accubonds. SMK's, SST's Bergers...yes. Not Accubonds. And not with .5 gr. of Retumbo. If you had a much smaller case and maybe a .5 gr. difference in 4895 or re-15 maybe. I think it's just "cold-boreitis".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No...not likely...I am very meticulous when I reload. I check the charge weight twice lol.</div></div>

Cold-boreitis can be one of many things. Not settling in behind the scope right, rifle actually does shoot cold bore way off. How big was your target, BTW? first shot of the morning flinch...etc. I can see a bunch of bullets coming apart at RUM velocities. But, Due to the nature of the Acccubond, and the Hornady Interbond, as well, they won't come apart. FWIW, the concept did so well Nosler started doing the 'bonded' Partitions.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Added:

Also of note, since I've had bullets blow up from a .257 WBY, is the accuracy goes to hell in a handbasket when the bullets that are going to blow up are about to blow up. Meaning a SMK or GK that is in it's normal velocity range might run 1 MOA from that rifle with that load. Speed it up to where the bullets are going to come apart and the MOA count goes up. That was out to 100 yds. With BT's and Accubonds the groups were unbelievable. Like .5 MOA. Shooting the thinner skinned bullets the groups were like 8" or worse.</span>

You would need to push that projectile close to 4000fps i would think for it to blow up... just a guess

12" circle paper target. What I can't understand is why me or noone else saw where the bullet hit. I was shooting into a bank. But maybe it is coldboreitus or could've been something I done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12" circle paper target. What I can't understand is why me or noone else saw where the bullet hit. I was shooting into a bank. But maybe it is coldboreitus or could've been something I done.</div></div>

Like I said (implied) cold-boreitis gets us all. Just focus on what you see when you see it and adjust from there.

Take it out again in the cold and see what you get. It may have been one bad bullet. Most everyone who has done some serious shooting has those too. Anyhow, now you have it zeroed go out next time and double focus on you, relax and shoot and see what the rifle/load does. If your ammo gets cold you will see a good sized come-up from #1 to #'s 2 and 3.

<span style="color: #000099">Edit:

That size paper isn't really enough to judge what you've got going wrong. One bad item on the list and the bullet misses the target completely. If you have some butcher paper that will give you a much better spectrum of what's going wrong that day. i.e. L-R - wind or trigger; Low - cold round or not getting down into the scope like you should; High - hot round, too low in scope, sharkeye the shot, etc. Just narrow it down as best you can when dry firing before putting a couple down range.</span>

FWIW:

Shot 22 HORNET bullets in a 220 swift at over 4100 fps (IIRC).

Never got a single hit at 100 yards. They just "puffed" into dust about 60 yards out.

Was fun to watch.

BMT