• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible Bullet Weight Options for 2013 US F-TR Reamer in .308

Lawyer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2017
Frankonia, Germany
Hello Guys,

i couldn´t find a answer to this question, so i have to ask:

Which Bullets could be used with the 2013 US F-TR Reamer ?
I couldn´t get any Berger 200.20x yet over here in Europe, but i got KP Ballistics 200 Grain Jack, which i will use. And the 200.20x, as they get available. again.
Since there are other Associations, where i can use a 308 Rifle, i want to know, what works below the 200 Grain mark ?

Is there a chance to get, let´s say, 155/167/175 Lapuas to work ?
A typical distance for these competitions is 300 meteres, so around 330 yards.
For this case, i don´t think that i need a heavy, high BC .30 Cal Bullet, the lighter Bullets are easier to obtain and have less recoil.

I´ve read that 185 Bergers will work, but maybe there is something else which will work.

So, i hope someone can enlighten me on this specific question

Chris

300 mtr = 168smk that was what it was designed for.

The 168 SMK is indeed great for that distance, but does it work with the Freebore on that Reamer ?
They are not jump sensitive like a secant ogive bullet. Only way to know is to shoot. IDK what reamer was used for mine but I know I have about .120 to touch now. I load 2.820 and at 6240 rounds it still holds 1/2 moa and the velocity has been rock solid at 2715 for a few years now. It's starting to show a bit of fire cracking but not bad. It does throw fliers now with factory ammo which it never did before

Reactions: Lawyer
That´s good to know, i´ve never tried the 168 SMK in my previous 308 Rifles.

I started with Nosler CC 168 Grain, they didn´t work that well and then switched to 168 Hornady Match.
A good friend gave me some and they produced good results from the start. Later i tried 155 Palma from Sierra, they did not work at all and for longer Ranges the 178 Hornady Match were my go to choice.

The 308 was the first Rifle i did load my own Ammunition for, my knowledge was pretty basic back then.

I hope someone with a F-TR Rifle can shed some light, trying and finding out, that light bullets don´t work isn´t really an option here.
The KP Jack are a very long bullet, longer than the 20x and Hybrid, i fear that the Freebore could or would be too much for 155-175 Bullets.

That´s good to know, i´ve never tried the 168 SMK in my previous 308 Rifles.

I started with Nosler CC 168 Grain, they didn´t work that well and then switched to 168 Hornady Match.
A good friend gave me some and they produced good results from the start. Later i tried 155 Palma from Sierra, they did not work at all and for longer Ranges the 178 Hornady Match were my go to choice.

The 308 was the first Rifle i did load my own Ammunition for, my knowledge was pretty basic back then.

I hope someone with a F-TR Rifle can shed some light, trying and finding out, that light bullets don´t work isn´t really an option here.
The KP Jack are a very long bullet, longer than the 20x and Hybrid, i fear that the Freebore could or would be too much for 155-175 Bullets.
Tangent ojive bullets are not as sensitive to jump as a secant aka vld ojive. If the 178bthp hornadys work the 175smk will also with a bit better bullet to bullet consistency. I have not shot the 169smk and likely won't because I have enough 168 n 175smks for quite a few barrels

I totally forgot about the 169 SMK, that might be something that could work.

The mentioned Bullets did work in a Rifle i don´t own anymore.
And the new F-TR Rifle is not build yet, i want to look at my options before i let it build and then realize, i just can use the heavy bullets.