• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible fundamental shooting mistakes/corrections podcast?

Perry41arms

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2018
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I a sure there are so many of us that are doing small things to impact our shooting that we are not even aware of. I have been listening to this podcast from episode 1 and I have learned so much. The only regret I have is that I cannot get to a class from Frank or Mike to correct my fundamentals of shooting because I live in South Africa.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea

In the mean time, try Thomas Haugland’s shooter error system, which he introduces here:
You can order the card here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shooter-Error-Infocard-by-THLR-/272557703439 (or you can find a picture online and print it out. I bought one so Thomas would get something for his excellent work).
His shooter error target can be downloaded here: https://hf-files-oregon.s3.amazonaws.com/hdpvertebrae_kb_attachments/2017/05-24/dfeee48e-e549-45e7-9612-141ce97ca1e3/THLR Shooter error v3.pdf
The manual for interpreting the hits (with remedies) is here: http://www.thlr.no/mdb/download/pdf/THLR-Shooter-Error-user-manual.pdf

Note that one of the remedies is, “Go get some training”. If you can’t get to the US and can’t trick Frank into going to Seth Efrikah, do the online training, then look around for a school that is consistent with that in these areas:
* focus on fundamentals of marksmanship
* bipod shooting position: don’t shoot from a bipod like you do from sling support
* relative importance of wind zones (shooter, max ordinate, target)

You won’t get the historical context or entertainment that Frank & Mike provide, but it will likely help.

I’m sure the 80/40/20 rule applies here, but I don’t think I’ve written anything wrong.

@Lowlight , go to South Africa. You won’t regret it. It’s bloody amazing.

Last edited:
@Perry41arms - you have a timely post!

I was at the range last weekend and noticed a shift in my shot placement and immediately knew something was wrong. I happened upon this video by Thomas Haugland GRIP that might be my problem. For me I noticed I have the hand placement correct but what I am doing wrong is the amount of pressure I am applying to the grip (aka the death grip) along with the amount of force I am pulling the butt into my shoulder. I am going to try adjusting my grip to see if I can obtain better results.

I will have to re-listen to the EDS podcast again on follow through that Frank and Mike spoke about.

CHeers!

Here is a Proper Grip video @M113A3

Thanks for the video Frank - should I be feeling more of the pressure on the pads of my fingers or more distal and middle part of my finger? Here is my stock config below -

my_stick.jpg