• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible Garmin Xero C1 Chrono Achilles heel?

Capri_Man

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2018
Washington
I know folks are all excited about garmins new xero c1, and I hate to throw a damper on that..... But has anyone asked garmin how or if they will be replacing the battery WHEN they fail in probably 3 years? If they are gonna replace it will it be a warranty claim or a set cost?

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I know folks are all excited about garmins new xero c1, and I hate to throw a damper on that..... But has anyone asked garmin how or if they will be replacing the battery WHEN they fail in probably 3 years? If they are gonna replace it will it be a warranty claim or a set cost?
The battery is a very common one that comes complete with pig tail and connector. There has been a post here already where a member opened his unit and the battery is very easily replaceable by the end user.

Not really an issue, IMO.

I've got Garmin GPS units that are over 10 years old ... that are still holding a charge as if they were new.
By the time this becomes an issue ... I'll have already bought the "Garmin Zero Gen-3 Platinum" ... that will come with a direct brain-interface application that helps me shoot, and makes a good latte.

The battery in the xero is a common Garmin part number used in multiple devices and is easily obtainable and replaceable by the end user (if Garmin won't swap it for a reasonable charge.)

IMG_2884.jpeg

Another observation ... the Labradar eats standard batteries like they're potato chips, so there's no choice but to use a USB charging block at the range to keep the Orange Monster working. Comparatively ... I'll take the possibility of battery issues years from now ... over battery issues from "Day-One" with my Labradar. Also, I'm assuming in a worst case if the internal battery gets "iffy" ... you just plug in that leftover USB charging block from when you had to have it for your (my) Labradar. This is more "Navel Fuzz" than it is "Achille's Heel".

As stated, easily replaceable.

But, even if it wasn't, or something else happens to the unit......if I get several years out of the most compact and to date the best chronograph....for $600.......I'll just buy another for $600 (will likely be better or updated by then anyway). If it works for three years, you basically paid $17/mo for one of the best advancements we have seen recently.

Not trying to make this a "go be poor somewhere else." Just how I look at things so I'm not always stressing over what I personally feel is something insignificant. Obviously others may disagree and want to squeak everything they can out of every penny they spend. And that's also a valid opinion.

The battery in the xero is a common Garmin part number used in multiple devices and is easily obtainable and replaceable by the end user (if Garmin won't swap it for a reasonable charge.)

View attachment 8336012

This is outstanding to know its easy enough to get into and swap. I'm still curious what Garmin will say, so I'll call them tomorrow and report back.

Another observation ... the Labradar eats standard batteries like they're potato chips, so there's no choice but to use a USB charging block at the range to keep the Orange Monster working. Comparatively ... I'll take the possibility of battery issues years from now ... over battery issues from "Day-One" with my Labradar. Also, I'm assuming in a worst case if the internal battery gets "iffy" ... you just plug in that leftover USB charging block from when you had to have it for your (my) Labradar. This is more "Navel Fuzz" than it is "Achille's Heel".
I've been using a friends labradar and I never even messed with the internal battery. I just plugged it into a 50,000mah brick I have which was more than enough.

As stated, easily replaceable.

But, even if it wasn't, or something else happens to the unit......if I get several years out of the most compact and to date the best chronograph....for $600.......I'll just buy another for $600 (will likely be better or updated by then anyway). If it works for three years, you basically paid $17/mo for one of the best advancements we have seen recently.

Not trying to make this a "go be poor somewhere else." Just how I look at things so I'm not always stressing over what I personally feel is something insignificant. Obviously others may disagree and want to squeak everything they can out of every penny they spend. And that's also a valid opinion.
I understand where you're coming from. I just didn't want to get into a situation like the gopro hero cubes that were non serviceable so once you fatigued the battery it was a throw away. My other concern is in the world of R/C airplanes and drones if you don't discharge the battery down to 30-50% for storage they fatigue extremely quick. Not to mention they swell up too.

View attachment 8336012
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m under the impression that this battery is not proprietary to Garmin, neither form factor, chemistry, nor capacity and can be bought (without Garmin’s name on it) from multiple sources including Amazon.

Is this not true?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m under the impression that this battery is not proprietary to Garmin, neither form factor, chemistry, nor capacity and can be bought (without Garmin’s name on it) from multiple sources including Amazon.

Is this not true?

If you look at the picture there's a BMS circuit board attached to the pack, the replacement battery will need that.

You can't just toss in a 1s 820-ish mah capacity pack of similar dimensions and have it work (unless you transfer the BMS from the old dead pack, and depending on how Garmin has it programmed sometimes the BMS will throw a permanently disabled flag if the pack voltage drops below a certain lower threshold, which then requires software to reset and re-enable the BMS...)

I'd either source a genuine Garmin pack or a third party pack that replaces the exact part number as it should have a properly configured BMS board inside the shrink wrap. The good thing is it seems Garmin uses that exact pack part number for multiple devices so it's easy to source one.

Reactions: Baron23
Have your questions been answered?

Reactions: 308pirate
Cell from “china”
Finished in “china”

Is this some kind of passive aggressive way the Taiwanese are saying it’s actually made there?

My question to Garmin was answered by them saying that if the internal battery goes dead, it will run off an external battery pack...the same way that virtually every Labradar out there is currently being run by necessity. So there's always that option if they were to refuse to service the internal pack (which I see no reason they couldn't/wouldn't).

Reactions: Capri_Man
Many devices all over the world run off OEM Chinese made batteries. Some claim to be assembled in China with Japanese made cells.
Running the LabRadar from a battery pack with the old style USB connector is the cause of a lot of problems.
LR-USB.JPG

Has anyone needed to replace the Coin Battery in the LR?
1706598679142.png

The lab Radar is made like an old Pentium Laptop. Wires and boards and, and :)

The Garmin has a battery, display board, digital board and an RF.Antenna board all stacked occupying the small footprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capri_Man and Pbgt
Has anyone needed to replace the Coin Battery in the LR?

I had to replace the 2032 battery in my lab radar last year when the clock and calendar stopped retaining the time and date after power off. Piece of cake, and put a dab of hot glue on it to help retain it just like it was from the factory. I bought my labradar right after they first went on sale (2016 IIRC) so it lasted quite a while.

Have your questions been answered?
By the forum yes. My call with Garmin was very non committal as far as cost. Basically if the battery fails within 1yr they might swap it out for a new unit. But if it fails down the road they will service it, but they wouldn't comment on cost. She did say they expect a 4yr battery life with everyday use and closer to 10yr with occasional use.

So with the fact that it the unit can be used with an external pack when the internal battery is dead I'm going to order mine this week and give my buddies LabRadar back to him.

By the forum yes. My call with Garmin was very non committal as far as cost. Basically if the battery fails within 1yr they might swap it out for a new unit. But if it fails down the road they will service it, but they wouldn't comment on cost. She did say they expect a 4yr battery life with everyday use and closer to 10yr with occasional use.

So with the fact that it the unit can be used with an external pack when the internal battery is dead I'm going to order mine this week and give my buddies LabRadar back to him.
JFC just buy a replacement battery pack from Amazon and turn some screws

The battery for a Garmin Trail Guide from 2004 was $17 on Amazon. Unless it's a brand new shape they will be about that in 20 years when you need a new one.

Reactions: Earnhardt