• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible maleware

boshine

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Janesville, Wisconsin
About a hour ago I was reading a post in the Bolt Action section. Was reading about a New Crusader & my anti virus kicked in. It did a auto scan & disinfection process. This happen to any one else? Everything seems OK now. I am not going to go back that post again.

Re: Possible maleware

I saw the title 'maleware' and thought your post was about clothing.
wink.gif

Seriously, I don't know how you can get a virus infection from simply reading a post. Was there a link in it?

As Graham said, I don't believe you can get a virus from reading a post, unless there's an executeable link you clicked on? Now some of the other movie/video sites I stumble across occasionally...
blush.gif
mebbe a different story! (But I was JUST looking at the pictures....)

Think I hit a link to his pictures. Dont have a virus,seems like it blocked something & all hell broke loose. Have kasperski-this never happened before???

Malware no longer needs to be executed like in the good ole days renaming a exe to .jpg and trying to trick someone into opening it. Today's threat vectors consist of things known as cross site scripting, cross site request for forgery, SQL injection, malicious embedded java, malicious embedded flash, the list goes on and on. Attackers are clever, they like to compromise trusted sources, this is helpful do to the trust relationship. Not long ago a major antivirus retailer had there site compromised. An attacker compromised a portion of the site and uploaded a program, the end user thought they were getting an actual program from that AV company, in fact they downloaded a malicious scare ware antivirus program that basically held their computer hostage until the end user paid for a release code.

Keeping an up to date AV that includes spyware scanning is a must these days. Another option is a sand box. Several programs are available, I like one called sand boxy. It basically creates a reserved space that your Internet browser will operate in, once you close the sand boxed Internet explorer all temp files and memory spaces are purged.

Cyber crime is one of the most lucrative illegal activities among criminal elements. Staying safe and secure on the Internet requires the end user to have at least an idea of the risks and have some amount of self taught training on how to conduct activities safely while online.

Know what post it is helps...

Some times it does come up depending where the persons got their avatar, or signature image ? It is possible for a personal to link an image that is from a site that is classified as malicious, it does happen from time to time.

So, We need more information, other than some bullshit post that you think you saw something some where on the site. Details matter...

Without details, like which post you were looking at, it is a complete waste of our time. There are currently 293749 posts in the Rifle Section alone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the title 'maleware' and thought your post was about clothing.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Is it sad that I saw and thought the exact same?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the title 'maleware' and thought your post was about clothing.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Is it sad that I saw and thought the exact same?</div></div>

It's because all you metrosexuals care about is high fashion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the title 'maleware' and thought your post was about clothing.
wink.gif
</div></div>Is it sad that I saw and thought the exact same?</div></div> It's because all you metrosexuals care about is high fashion. </div></div>I'm doing Crossfit now. I was going to go Russian - you know, Speedo - but Ranger panties is where it's at.
laugh.gif

Sorry meant"malware". Guess the cross dressers picked that up.
It was a post in "Bolt action rifles" about 10:30 Wed. morn.
Title was "Gap Crusader .308 first day at the range". Posted by
Bongobob. Just went back there & all is OK. What I said happened DID happen.
No bullshit. Don't know why or how. Kasperski kicked in & did its thing. Was just giving a heads up to other members. If it ever happens again I will keep it to myself. Sorry if it got your undies in a bundle. Just trying to help.
in-range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: in-range</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry meant"malware". Guess the cross dressers picked that up.</div></div>I've been cross-addressing for years. It helps keep the junk mail down to a reasonable level.
laugh.gif