• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible Podcast Topic

Namekagon

Oracle of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
I've recently learned a lot from the podcast, as well as online training, about recoil management. So I was sighting in my deer rifle this evening, a mountain weight 270 WSM. My main gun that I shoot all year long is a full size precision rifle in 6XC. MAJOR difference in recoil. I usually shoot well with the 6XC.

On the first shot with the WSM off a bench, I applied rearward pressure into my shoulder the same as I do with the 6XC. Not muscling it hard, but firm rear pressure. Had my shoulders square, and in front of my hips, leaning into the rifle. The first shot actually hurt, not just my shoulder, but my back and rattled my innards even. It stunned me a bit. So on the second shot, I did everything the same, but put alot more rearward pressure into my shoulder (as much as I could without affecting steady aim) and it felt much much better. But I was still very surprised that the pressure I had used the first time wasn't enough.

Which made me wonder, does proper recoil management technique depend on the rifle? Should a hard kicking gun be held firmer? Or did the WSM expose a weakness in my form that I should correct for all my rifles, including the light-kicking 6XC?

Was gonna post this in Stupid Marksmanship Q's, but with it being hunting season, I thought this might make for a good podcast topic. Just a thought.

Reactions: mercracing
I've had similar experience when shooting my different calibers. I'm interested to see what others more experienced than I have to say on this.

I've recently learned a lot from the podcast, as well as online training, about recoil management. So I was sighting in my deer rifle this evening, a mountain weight 270 WSM. My main gun that I shoot all year long is a full size precision rifle in 6XC. MAJOR difference in recoil. I usually shoot well with the 6XC.

On the first shot with the WSM off a bench, I applied rearward pressure into my shoulder the same as I do with the 6XC. Not muscling it hard, but firm rear pressure. Had my shoulders square, and in front of my hips, leaning into the rifle. The first shot actually hurt, not just my shoulder, but my back and rattled my innards even. It stunned me a bit. So on the second shot, I did everything the same, but put alot more rearward pressure into my shoulder (as much as I could without affecting steady aim) and it felt much much better. But I was still very surprised that the pressure I had used the first time wasn't enough.

Which made me wonder, does proper recoil management technique depend on the rifle? Should a hard kicking gun be held firmer? Or did the WSM expose a weakness in my form that I should correct for all my rifles, including the light-kicking 6XC?

Was gonna post this in Stupid Marksmanship Q's, but with it being hunting season, I thought this might make for a good podcast topic. Just a thought.
Your WSM has about 4 times the recoil energy of your 6XC, and about 2 times the recoil velocity. So yes, you need to hold it tighter to give it less running room.

Thanks Skookum, did you use some software to make those recoil estimates?
I found a calculator online, don't remember the address. All the inputs I used were reasonable guesses of course, but I expect they were close.

Based on older hunting books relating to shooting double rifles on dangerous game, 458 Win mag model 70's, 460 weatherby, 405 Winchester, 45-70, 45-90, 50-90-120,
there is an abundance of material reflecting hard hold..... its almost ancient lore, unfortunately, it's almost lost in todays internet world.
But, it's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Hard hold on hard kickers, or get the shit kicked out of you.

Find and read Elmer Keith's "Hell, I was There", or Robert Ruarks "Use Enough Gun". They will reinforce the hard hold.

Otherwise Skookum's mislaid formula can give u figures, but, a soft hold and the following mule kick will convince you those old guys told the truth.

From somebody who owned and shot those hard kicking calibers listed above.

Reactions: Scarface26
Based on older hunting books relating to shooting double rifles on dangerous game, 458 Win mag model 70's, 460 weatherby, 405 Winchester, 45-70, 45-90, 50-90-120,
there is an abundance of material reflecting hard hold..... its almost ancient lore, unfortunately, it's almost lost in todays internet world.
But, it's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Hard hold on hard kickers, or get the shit kicked out of you.

Find and read Elmer Keith's "Hell, I was There", or Robert Ruarks "Use Enough Gun". They will reinforce the hard hold.

Otherwise Skookum's mislaid formula can give u figures, but, a soft hold and the following mule kick will convince you those old guys told the truth.

From somebody who owned and shot those hard kicking calibers listed above.
In younger days I was quite fond of big bores and big bullets. I had a 375 H&H that weighed 12 lbs. It wasn't too bad with a 300 grain at 2500 fps. I still own an 7 lb 35 Whelen 250 grn at 2550 fps that kicks a little.

The last one I built was an 8lb 375 Ruger. 300 grains at 2600 fps. I shot 300 rounds through that one doing load developement. I then traded it off to a friend that shot a couple of cape buffalo with it.

He asked me if I wanted to buy it back, I said,"NOPE"!

Reactions: j-huskey