• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Possible SD Prarie Dog Hunt in my Future.

ScottACousino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Shooting a 23.5" .308 1 in 12 Twist, shoot 155gr Scenars at paper, what bullet should I be looking at for Prarie Dogs?

Saw a video on the Barnes TSX and looked like a varmint exploding bullet, what are you guys loading/shooting?

Thanks
Scott

Re: Possible SD Prarie Dog Hunt in my Future.

I will try to prevent getting overly graphic...

You will not be over joyed with the Scenars because they just do not expand on prairie dogs. I myself have had great luck w/ the V-max series of bullets; suffice to say when you hit one you REALLY know it.

I would look at the 155 scenar if they shoot good. The wind seems to blow a bit here i use 168 amax and they seem to split into pieces well

Here is some V-Max action

8-flippingforjoy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">110 gr. v-max </div></div>

Wow, horrible BC on those, what range are you reaching with these? Any issues?

Well you are shooting one of the most efficient 30 cal bullet comparing it to a varmint bullet. Keep in mind that I am shooting the V-max in .223, 6mm, and in my 260 Remmy. With my 260 I would say those prairie maggots are relatively unsafe at 500 or so yards.

I can tell you that when you hit them with the Scenars they simply don't expand and go straight through them... Making it difficult to tell if you hit them at a distance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about the hangtime. 25 yds </div></div>

Wow, that close, this will be my first time and trying to guage what range most shots are taken from, in you experience what range are most P-Dogs engaged from?

I think what Nate-O was referring to was getting the p.dogs to fly 25 in the air

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you are shooting one of the most efficient 30 cal bullet comparing it to a varmint bullet. Keep in mind that I am shooting the V-max in .223, 6mm, and in my 260 Remmy. With my 260 I would say those prairie maggots are relatively unsafe at 500 or so yards.

I can tell you that when you hit them with the Scenars they simply don't expand and go straight through them... Making it difficult to tell if you hit them at a distance </div></div>

I don't plan to use the Scenars, was just stating what I put thru paper, Just worried about distance with the lighter V-Max offering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think what Nate-O was referring to was getting the p.dogs to fly 25 in the air </div></div>

My bad, that is a pretty good vertical leap.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about the hangtime. 25 yds </div></div>

Wow, that close, this will be my first time and trying to guage what range most shots are taken from, in you experience what range are most P-Dogs engaged from?</div></div>

Hell if you can find a town nobody shoots at them to much you can get them as close as a few feet! For me normally between 75 to 300 yards. I use a 22-250, 223, and 204 for them, not a .308, but hey whatever floats your boat lol
grin.gif

Where are you planning on shooting in SD Scott?

just depends, literally out the window to as far as you can see, if you're runnin unsuppressed, your gonna have plenty of shots from 300 on out. In my opinion, load or buy lots of varmint fodder and then have a few hundred high BC rounds for the long shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about the hangtime. 25 yds </div></div>

Wow, that close, this will be my first time and trying to guage what range most shots are taken from, in you experience what range are most P-Dogs engaged from?</div></div>

Hell if you can find a town nobody shoots at them to much you can get them as close as a few feet! For me normally between 75 to 300 yards. I use a 22-250, 223, and 204 for them, not a .308, but hey whatever floats your boat lol
grin.gif

Where are you planning on shooting in SD Scott? </div></div>

The reason for .308 is that is my only bolt gun at the moment, have a bunch of MG's in .223/5.56mm but don't know if you can use full auto in SD on prarie dogs (even in semi-auto mode, they are still full auto for DNR/LEO purposes) we are looking at public land around the Rapid City Area.

a friend of mine loaded up some 110's for his 300 wm just for kicks, that was pretty fun out to bout 300
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> we are looking at public land around the Rapid City Area.</div></div>

Well i don't know of any places by Rapid City (not saying there isn't any just don't know of any) but it you happen to make it over the border into Wyoming then look me up and I can take you a few places. One of them is about 3/4 of a mile from my house and the other is in the Black Hills. Both towns are 250 acres plus in size.

if you go east of rapid about 200 miles and north some you will be in them thicker than shit. And in SD you can not shoot pdogs on public land till after june or some thing like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> we are looking at public land around the Rapid City Area.</div></div>

Well i don't know of any places by Rapid City (not saying there isn't any just don't know of any) but it you happen to make it over the border into Wyoming then look me up and I can take you a few places. One of them is about 3/4 of a mile from my house and the other is in the Black Hills. Both towns are 250 acres plus in size. </div></div>

As time draws near, I might take you up on that, thank you.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you go east of rapid about 200 miles and north some you will be in them thicker than shit. And in SD you can not shoot pdogs on public land till after june or some thing like that. </div></div>

I see it opens on public land on June 14 or 15th, we are looking at June 24-28 as of right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As time draws near, I might take you up on that, thank you.

Scott </div></div>

No problem buddy. Let me know as I should be around those days but ya never know and if I am not I will lead you in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Average distance depends on the layout of the terrain, # of pdogs in the field, and how often they've been shot at.

Just from my experiences you can have shots as close as 20ft (really dumb ones or pups who don't know any better) or as far as you feel comfortable to engage them.

Multiple firearms are usually the wise move...one for close relatively mundane shooting (22lr-17hmr and up) and one for extended shooting. Maybe another for when your barrel gets hot. Cartridges like 22-250, 204, 220 swift can easily handle pdogs out to 400yds or more in capable hands. Your .308 should be loaded for ranges in excess of that and out to your range abilities. 168 AMAX's will get desired expansion and better b.c. than the 110's.

Make sure your support equipment and supplies are also up to the task and on accounted for. Rangefinders that can't pick up small unreflective targets are no good past minimal ranges....and spotting scopes that can't focus through 95degree mirage are of little use. Better just to use your rifles optics and save yourself some weight and gear. Pack food and LOTS of water...there's little cover from the sun in the SD prairie. And SoDak has not only heat but humidity so dress appropriately. Weather is often really good or really bad so having a backup plan is a good idea. </div></div>

Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated, really looking forward to this trip.

Glad to see Im not the ONLY one doing all the research on this trip Scott! haha

VS, how far east do you have prairie dog shooting grounds in WY? Do you need a license in WY for PD's? Ive heard Montana doesnt require a license for coyote and PD's.

This weather business is quite scary, is the weather that unpredictable at the end of June DFOOSKING?

Ive been waiting to do a trip like this forever, Im already loading ammo thats how excited I am for it!

Anyone know the reg's on machine guns for varmint hunting in SD, WY, MO? Even if they are only used on semi.

I may need to find you a 22-250 or something similar Scott, too bad I dont ever see any good deals go by at work
wink.gif

Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to see Im not the ONLY one doing all the research on this trip Scott! haha

VS, how far east do you have prairie dog shooting grounds in WY? Do you need a license in WY for PD's? Ive heard Montana doesnt require a license for coyote and PD's.

This weather business is quite scary, is the weather that unpredictable at the end of June DFOOSKING?

Ive been waiting to do a trip like this forever, Im already loading ammo thats how excited I am for it!

Anyone know the reg's on machine guns for varmint hunting in SD, WY, MO? Even if they are only used on semi.

I may need to find you a 22-250 or something similar Scott, too bad I dont ever see any good deals go by at work
wink.gif

Jon</div></div>

Jon, I live in Gillette which is about 130 miles west of Rapid City and there are some towns right around Gillette. I also know of a fairly large town by Devils Tower which is closer to the WY/SD border. So basically you wouldn't have to go more than about 80 miles or so into Wyoming to get into some places to shoot. I don't know the rules on full auto's but if your on private land then you should be fine as there will be nobody to tell you one way or the other
wink.gif
. Also you don't need a licences in Wyoming, just a hunter safety card if i'm not mistaken.

Looks like we are headed that way June 14 for arrival on the 15th, actual area yet to be determined.

I have loaded up on 110gr V-Max 500 rounds and 125gr Nosler BT's 800 rounds, still waiting on my can to come in from YHM, should be here this week, picking up powder on Friday, then gonna work on load development.

What are you guys pushing the 110gr V-Max with?

Scott

Ive got one gun ready to go!

243008_811766167232_30117286_39143609_1972521_o.jpg

Anybody have any specific locations east of Rapid City that are supposed to be good? Or do we just try to locate the area with the most red on that map?

You hope it quits raining as you dont want to deal with the gumbo out west. If i was in rapid i would look into what varmit slayer said about wyoming other than that i am about 220 miles east of rapid with a shit to of pdogs around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You hope it quits raining as you dont want to deal with the gumbo out west. If i was in rapid i would look into what varmit slayer said about wyoming other than that i am about 220 miles east of rapid with a shit to of pdogs around </div></div>

We had planned on stopping a bit east of Rapid as it sounds like that is where they mainly are. Do you go on private or public land?

I think VS may join us in SD, but Id love to make it into WY to check out his spots too.

I go on private land most will let you shoot them as long as cows are not around. Just found a new one that is about 6 miles long by 2 wide out helping with cows if it ever dries out i cant wait for that.

That would be sweet, its gotta stop raining soon I would think. Ive heard from some people the wetter the better for pdogs, as long as its not too wet that you cant even get to them.

Somebody please swing by Georgia and pick me up!
cry.gif

Sounds like a shitload of fun to be had. Good luck.

With that gumbo out west if some one takes a big piss that is to much water and it turns to slime. It also takes about a couple hours of sun and wind and it is dusty dry agin so if the weather is bad they say just wait an hour and it will change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go on private land most will let you shoot them as long as cows are not around. Just found a new one that is about 6 miles long by 2 wide out helping with cows if it ever dries out i cant wait for that.</div></div>

Kurt, what would you say is the average size dog town over your way. 6 x 2 is a huge town out my way but I've been on a couple that were about 3 x 2 of so and thought that was big lol.

Oh it seems to vary so much i have a few that are with in a mile of town that are probaly only 20-30 acres and then when you get out in the boondocks i just stumble on some big one that a 2 miles by 2 miles wide quite often. That last one is out of the ordinary but will be really fun. I seem to find them when out scouting for deer and mark on gps then go to work finding out if it is tribal or deeded land and who i need to contact to shoot. Back before i was married i would go ride 4 wheeler with my freinds and we found some that we could only get to using the 4 wheelers and those were really fun i dont think those had ever been shot they did not even run after seeing their buddies doing back flips in 3 directions:) And it is raining agin today damit

Well as for the WY weather report it has finally stopped raining the last couple of days and been fairly nice. It rained for almost. 3 weeks straight with only a few breaks in that stretch. I think we got somewhere in the range of 10 inches of rain in that period but it's drying out. The p dogs on my family's place is dry and they are out in full force. Been out three days since last Saturday and the shooting was pretty good but it always is this time of year.

Are you guys still planning on Rapid City area?

Im not sure that we really have a plan haha. I think we are just going to drive towards Rapid City on 90, and if we find some good spots not too far from the interstate we will do public land there. If its not looking good you may be getting a call from us VS!

Thats good news for sure that its drying out, I think it pretty much rained as much as were going to get the whole year so it will probably be a drought the rest of the summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Varmint Slayer said:
Scott A Cousino said:
Nate O said:
......The reason for .308 is that is my only bolt gun at the moment,...</div></div>

I have bought rifles for lesser reasons. Good time for a .223, 22-250, 243, 6MM...................

Shooting prairie dogs is definitely on my short list of things to do.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We (me, JonAddis84 and 4 others) are headed out on June 14 for SD or WY.

Any weather updates for us?

Can't wait to get out there and bust some dogs. </div></div>

We were going to head out this morn, but another .75 of rain fell on our area yesterday. I'll let you know if we ever make it. I'll try to remember to take some pics too.

good luck to you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We (me, JonAddis84 and 4 others) are headed out on June 14 for SD or WY.

Any weather updates for us?

Can't wait to get out there and bust some dogs. </div></div>

We were going to head out this morn, but another .75 of rain fell on our area yesterday. I'll let you know if we ever make it. I'll try to remember to take some pics too.

good luck to you </div></div>

Thanks Nate, we are headed out week after next, either near Rapid City, or it sounds now like we are headed to WY to hook up with VarmintSlayer.

I heard down south it has done a number on them. Seems to be alot around up here

I'll be out to shoot a few PD's on saturday, will update on how with population looks. Also SD changed its law on the PD season. How ever I have gotten 6 differant answers from 6 differant GFP wardens on weather it applies to this spring or not. They are no longer going to close the season, but it is a new law and they normally dont go into effect until july 1. So we will see, on GFP told me that because it was just a regulator law that it went into effect at the time it was signed.
I would avoid the Lower Brule Reservation for PD hunting, they will try to scam you every chance they get. If you need a guide nad some great ground check out Bad River Bucks and Birds, I have shot there several times and they have some good ground.

Man you guys are pretty die hard to drive 21 hours and 1200 miles just to shoot p dogs!
grin.gif
I'll be waiting for you guys to arrive. Got lots of dogs waitin for ya.

img0092hl.jpg

When is the best time of the year to shoot them, weather, height of grass, accessibility whatever? Definitely on my short list of things to do.

Have been driving 600 miles to Quebec every year for the past ten years to shoot ducks as practice for a trip out west.........

Jerry

Prairie dog hunting is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! No kidding!

My hunting buddies and I have a pretty good strategy.

We roll up to p'dog town with our .17 HMRs. We shoot every p'dog we can out to about 250 yards. The HMR is quiet and doesn't scare them down their holes like center-fires do.

Next we'll pull out .17 Ackley Hornets, .223s, .204s, etc. I've managed kills in the 600s with my .204. After that, you need the big guns. We shoot 6mm AI, 6.5-284, .243 AI, .22-250, 6mm Rem, etc on out.

Moral of the story, start small, work up. The louder the gun, the more p'dogs you scare down their holes.

66320_610418609531_48003735_35039434_2215397_n.jpg