• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible to fire form dented Lapua brass?

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I have 2-3 pieces of once fired 338 Lapua Lapua brass that got dented in the shoulder because I had my die settings wrong for the press I was using. I was curious if there was a way to resurrect this brass or if I should just throw it in the garbage. At $2+ each, I was a little hesitant to take that as my initial solution.

Input and instructions appreciated. Thanks.

I have done it with mixed results, although mine was because of excess lube. I had about 8 or 9 and a couple split the shoulder when fired and the others seem gtg.

Load as normal and shoot it. I bet the dents go away.

There's a difference between a dent and a crease, dents should iron out during firing. A crease, like something sharp poked it, I usually throw. Hydraulic dents from excessive case lube come right out.

That might be what it was caused by (excessive lube). I just didn't know if that was going to be an issue when loading and firing. Didn't know if there was a way to do a blank charge with some powder and wax or something of the sorts.

If loading and firing like a normal case is OK, then I may just do that.

Just load and shoot it. Light load will not blow it out. Std pressure will make it look like new.

As stated above, I have done this a couple times with no issues.

Same here. If it's caused by excessive lube switch to Dillon or Midway's spray lube and it won't happen again. Since I switched many years ago i've never had that problem.