• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Possible to identify a pre 2005 Sig P226?

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
I've never been a Sig guy but I find myself wanting to add a P226 to the safe. I'm not interested in debating the merits of the new vs old sigs. I want to find a pre Cohen P226 with a rail.

Is this a unicorn? Is there a way to identify the DOM by looking at the serial #? Any specific markings that were added/deleted after the Cohen hire?

There is a stamp on it in two places I believe that signifies German built.

W. German marked pistols were pre-Cohen, but not all pre-Cohen pistols were made in W. Germany.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I'm really looking for the Sig experts to chime in on this one.

I bought my 226 in 2001. I wish it had a rail, does such a beast even exist? I don't remember that being an option, but that was 13 years ago. I may have forgotten.

Posted via Tapatalk HD for iPad

I bought my 226 in 2001. I wish it had a rail, does such a beast even exist? I don't remember that being an option, but that was 13 years ago. I may have forgotten.

I'm fairly sure that there were railed guns being made in 2005 and before (though I have no idea what year was the first for a railed 226, if anyone has that info, please let us know). That being said, I was 19 years old in 2005 and as said I've never been a Sig guy so I wasn't paying much attention to them at the time.

I'm getting the feeling that this particular configuration may be rare enough that I will end up having to take my chances with a new gun OR forgo the rail buy an older German gun.

I've never been a Sig guy but I find myself wanting to add a P226 to the safe. I'm not interested in debating the merits of the new vs old sigs. I want to find a pre Cohen P226 with a rail.

Is this a unicorn? Is there a way to identify the DOM by looking at the serial #? Any specific markings that were added/deleted after the Cohen hire?

go to sigtalk.com and sigforum.com. i prefer sigtalk.com.

EDIT:
the only thing i can think of is looking at the original box it came in for the DOM.

the west german ones are pretty easy to date.

EDIT 2:
i think the first version of the MK25 came with some rails. the serial numbers are marked with a prefix of NSW. i believe some people call these the MK24, or the sig navy. i do believe i saw some with a rail.

finding a pre-2005 226R shouldn't be to much trouble. proving with a matching serialized box/paper work might take some time.

EDIT 3:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=406634764

this guy is claiming this to be a special one. i wouldn't touch it. the sights are wrong, the rail is wrong. it looks like they tried to morph a tacops with a MK25 and claim to be a "sleeper".

Last edited:
go to sigtalk.com and sigforum.com. i prefer sigtalk.com.

EDIT:
the only thing i can think of is looking at the original box it came in for the DOM.

the west german ones are pretty easy to date.

EDIT 2:
i think the first version of the MK25 came with some rails. the serial numbers are marked with a prefix of NSW. i believe some people call these the MK24, or the sig navy. i do believe i saw some with a rail.

finding a pre-2005 226R shouldn't be to much trouble. proving with a matching serialized box/paper work might take some time.

EDIT 3:
Sig P226 Navy Pistol : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

this guy is claiming this to be a special one. i wouldn't touch it. the sights are wrong, the rail is wrong. it looks like they tried to morph a tacops with a MK25 and claim to be a "sleeper".

Thanks, good info in there. I'll check out sigtalk as well.

I've heard of the P226 Navy before; does anyone know if these were exclusively made pre-2005?

Thanks, good info in there. I'll check out sigtalk as well.

I've heard of the P226 Navy before; does anyone know if these were exclusively made pre-2005?

SIG Sauer P226 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to the 'variants' section. it says they were issued in early 2004, but i do not know for how long they were in production. your best bet is sigtalk to do some research. lots of knowledge there. they are pretty friendly to FNGs.

by the way, i love my sigs! be forewarned, they tend to multiply like rabbits. it all starts with the 226. then the different 226s they make. then a 229 and the different ones they make. then a 228. then a 225. then a 938. then the fucking west german ones. then the 1911s (and then those fuckers multiply too!). then the rifles.

it...

never...

ends...

welcome to the signess.

I'm fairly sure that there were railed guns being made in 2005 and before (though I have no idea what year was the first for a railed 226, if anyone has that info, please let us know). That being said, I was 19 years old in 2005 and as said I've never been a Sig guy so I wasn't paying much attention to them at the time.

I'm getting the feeling that this particular configuration may be rare enough that I will end up having to take my chances with a new gun OR forgo the rail buy an older German gun.

i wouldn't say you'd be taking a chance with a new 226. i have a few, and all of mine have been fine. my MK25 went 700 rounds with out cleaning or lubing and didn't miss a beat. in my opinion, you'd be taking a chance with the new models they are putting out. they have been making the 226, 228/9 since the 80s. you can't go wrong with a 226, unless you pick the tribal or rainbow one! lol

a lot of the sigaholics prefer the railess to the railed. they prefer the folded carbon steel slide to the new stainless machined slide. they prefer the short or internal extractor to the long extractor. railed vs railess, to me, who cares. it is up to you for the rail. want a rail? rock it out bro. don't want a rail, rock it out bro. short vs long extractor, the short looks better. i have both, and i have had no troubles with the long or short. folded carbon steel vs stainless machined, that's easy. machined stainless all the way.

SIG Sauer P226 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to the 'variants' section. it says they were issued in early 2004, but i do not know for how long they were in production. your best bet is sigtalk to do some research. lots of knowledge there. they are pretty friendly to FNGs.

by the way, i love my sigs! be forewarned, they tend to multiply like rabbits. it all starts with the 226. then the different 226s they make. then a 229 and the different ones they make. then a 228. then a 225. then a 938. then the fucking west german ones. then the 1911s (and then those fuckers multiply too!). then the rifles.

it...

never...

ends...

welcome to the signess.

haha; thanks for the good info! I'm starting a thread at sigtalk so I'm sure the targeted audience over there will have all the info. I said I wasn't much of a sig guy (which is true) but I actually already have a 938 that I bought for concealed carry. I bought it because it's a very small 9mm with a manual of arms similar to the 1911 which has been my handgun of choice. I love the p938, great pistol and so comfortable to wear here in Tx when it gets hot and the clothes start getting thin.