• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Possible to modify existing action to take AIAW Magazines?

117D-RTO

Shooter ready, standby...
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2010
Erie, Colorado
Topic says it all, I'd like to switch from standard AICS to AIAW magazines and have a Rem 700 S/A and a Tikka T3 I'd like to convert over. Is it a simple milling job or more complicated than this?

Like bward said, the amount of work involved ends up being enough to cover the cost of selling your action and upgrading to an AW cut custom.

Don't bother. The AICS mag system that you already have will work better.

There was a thread on it a couple of years ago. I think it involved some welding and cutting out two feed ramps. If you have the skills and equipment to do it then go for it but otherwise your better off getting a different rifle.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Don't bother. The AICS mag system that you already have will work better.
This too. AW mags just aren't as reliable as AICS in a 700 style action. No idea on the Tikka, but the single stacks would probably be more reliable as well.

I modified my savage m10 to take AW mags. It was just a matter of opening up the factory cuts with a 1/2" ball endmill.

Machine off the internal magazine feed lips to accommodate the AW mags wider mag lips, and have the feed ramp scalloped open wider to aid in feeding from the staggered feed. It's not that difficult.

The AW mag will also need to have a small scallop cut in the front edge similar to the AICS mags to seat against the rem 700's round action base.

I've had mine running for years reliably without issue. There should still be photos in the AW/AE/AICS mag difference thread.

Cheers,

JJ