• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Possible to take photo through scope with digital?

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
If you have a compact digital camera, is it possible to take a photo through a scope?

If so, what is the correct technique? (e.g. distance from eyepiece, how handle focus, autoexposure, etc).

Jim G

Re: Possible to take photo through scope with digital?

Every cameras different.Just do it .Trial and error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 20incher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every cameras different.Just do it .Trial and error. </div></div>
Exactly.
Guns1272.jpg

2011-12-10_07-11-18_81.jpg

2011-09-17_11-24-03_163.jpg

Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down

it's a pain to do it, i've been looking for a good way to do it for a while

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down</div></div>

Wat?

When I take a picture through the scope, it comes out just as shown above. Not photochopped at all. the last through the scope picture I took is in the HDMR thread, through my 5-20 SS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down </div></div>

WTF? I have taken hundreds of pics through many different scope's with different cameras and never had a problem. What are you basing your "faked, photoshopped" claims on?

DSCF5222.jpg

DSCF5409.jpg

DSCF5226.jpg

DSCF5217.jpg

DSCF6082-1.jpg

DSCF6077.jpg

DSCF4666.jpg

DSCF5953.jpg

DSCF5952.jpg

DSCF5936.jpg

these are just a couple of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down </div></div>

lol ya this guy has no idea what he is talking about. you are taking a picture of the image provided by the scope, and that is not upside down. as proven by the many pictures provided.

No, I took those pictures,the one of the accurange was with my Olympus and the last two through the nightforce were with my Droid X. No photoshop and they arent upside down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clearly a faked elk
</div></div>
You caught me dave! I photoshopped it.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a compact digital camera, is it possible to take a photo through a scope?

If so, what is the correct technique? (e.g. distance from eyepiece, how handle focus, autoexposure, etc).

Jim G</div></div>

The settings that I have had the best results with are auto focus set to normal distance (not macro) and no flash. The distance from the eye peice depends on the eye relief of the individual scope. It is not hard to tell from the LCD on the back of the camera when you are good to go. An apparatus that holds the scope and the camera is very helpful for getting better shots. That one that Canpopper shows looks great. Last year I made an apparatus myself to aid in writing my reviews. It has an advantage over the commercial one in that it can be adjusted with the 3 screws like a fancy rest but the disadvantage that the scope cannot be on the rifle when in use. Now that I have seen that commercial mount I will probably buy it as well.

The rig I made:
photographyrigresize.jpg

It is very helpful to have a rig if you intend to take shots of anything that might move on you as you can aim the camera and scope together.

dearhump.jpg

Pretty good shot isn't it?

As usual, you guys are able to answer the questions that come up. Thank-you all!

Jim G

Umm, no.

It doesn't work that way and if you actually sit and think about it, common sense would tell you its wrong.

Do you have to flip your eye to see through a scope? Your eye is a lens.

Do you have to flip a camera to take a photo right side up? No.

A camera is designed to record what you see with your eye. Whatever your eye sees coming out of the scope is what the camera records.

Now there are lenses in both optical systems to make sure the image coming out the back is right side up. But those are internal to the system.

Now if you use an SLR camera adapter on a telescope with no eyepiece, your image will be flipped. I had one of those back in the day. However you were effectively using the telescope as a lens for the camera. There was no glass between the telescope and the shutter and you removed the lens that flipped and magnified the image for your eye (the eyepiece).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that iPhone adaptor idea . . .

Jim G</div></div>

iPhone adapter doesn't work with riflescopes. The reason being the eyerelief on riflescopes are way too long. You will get a badly tunneled view with that.

The best setup is the Orion Steadypix I got mated with a picatinny to tripod base made for me by Platypus of Precision Rifle Solutions. That combo allows me to put my riflescope and camera onto my tripods and do panning and zoomming videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dppOa-5jZLc

Now that videocameras have gotten more compact and higher res, I'm able to do even more vids than ever before.

Sorry guys I guess the sarcasm didn't get translated. Theres only what a few thousand pictures taken through scopes on this site? Not to mention everywhere else. Can't a guy have a little bit of fun saying something that is obviously bullshit to get a reaction without you getting butt hurt about your pics? I was just seeing what someone would say. I've taken plenty of through the scope, thermal, and night vision pics and video. It is sometimes a pain in the ass to get it just right. That iPhone adapter looks pretty badass though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down</div></div>

Wat?

When I take a picture through the scope, it comes out just as shown above. Not photochopped at all. the last through the scope picture I took is in the HDMR thread, through my 5-20 SS.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down </div></div>

WTF? I have taken hundreds of pics through many different scope's with different cameras and never had a problem. What are you basing your "faked, photoshopped" claims on?

these are just a couple of them.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are faked, ie photoshop, the extra lens of the camera flips the image upside down. You have to buy a special adapter to get it right side up, or hold the camera upside down </div></div>

lol ya this guy has no idea what he is talking about. you are taking a picture of the image provided by the scope, and that is not upside down. as proven by the many pictures provided.</div></div>

I hope you didn't go try it just to see if I was being serious, you guys need to get laid more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he is talking about rifle scopes, not spotting scopes. </div></div>

Correct.
smile.gif

Jim G